Sequences 1.4 - With Per-Note Conditions!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
stp2015

17 Sep 2020

Amazing!!!!!

Could we also get scales mode so that the rows would be a bit larger? I find it difficult to hit the right row at times.

But this is really cool, at this point is an essential reason device.

VIVIsect

17 Sep 2020

stp2015 wrote:
17 Sep 2020
Could we also get scales mode so that the rows would be a bit larger? I find it difficult to hit the right row at times.
Literally the single reason I never bought this RE.

The continued development and sale price is pretty enticing, though...

chrispy

17 Sep 2020

Another brilliant update to one of my favourite Players. Thanks for this! I use Sequences everywhere - it’s a great alternative to Ghost clips (which hopefully we’ll also get one day in the sequencer itself!).

I have spotted one issue that seems repeatable, and I can’t test with 1.3 (since I’ve upgrade the RE already) to know whether it is something that has changed in 1.4. Here are the steps to recreate:
  • In pattern 1 of Sequences, reduce the pattern length to 16 steps, then draw out a pattern in the first 16 steps
  • Create a pattern automation lane for Sequences
  • Draw out a pattern clip from bars 2.1.1.0 to 5.1.1.0 (i.e. 3 repetitions of that pattern in one clip). Note that the problem doesn't happen if the clip is at the start of the song at 1.1.1.0.
  • Put the left and right loop markers around this clip, engage loop and press play
  • The first time through the loop you hear the three pattern iterations correctly
  • However, when the playhead loops back to 2.1.1.0 the pattern stops and doesn’t restart until later into the clip
I can send an example Reason project that shows this if it's easier.

I’ve tried the same steps with similar Players (e.g. PolyStep, Kompulsion) to see if it’s a general Player looping issue, but they don’t seem to exhibit the same behaviour. Hopefully this is something simple (or something I’ve missed about the way looping/retriggering works in Sequences!)

Thanks for an awesome update though!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

17 Sep 2020

chrispy wrote:
17 Sep 2020
Another brilliant update to one of my favourite Players. Thanks for this! I use Sequences everywhere - it’s a great alternative to Ghost clips (which hopefully we’ll also get one day in the sequencer itself!).

I have spotted one issue that seems repeatable, and I can’t test with 1.3 (since I’ve upgrade the RE already) to know whether it is something that has changed in 1.4. Here are the steps to recreate:
  • In pattern 1 of Sequences, reduce the pattern length to 16 steps, then draw out a pattern in the first 16 steps
  • Draw out a pattern clip from bars 2.1.1.0 to 5.1.1.0 (i.e. 3 repetitions of that pattern in one clip). Note that the problem doesn't happen if the clip is at the start of the song at 1.1.1.0.
  • Put the left and right loop markers around this clip, engage loop and press play
  • The first time through the loop you hear the three pattern iterations correctly
  • However, when the playhead loops back to 2.1.1.0 the pattern stops and doesn’t restart until later into the clip

I’ve tried the same steps with similar Players (e.g. PolyStep, Kompulsion) to see if it’s a general Player looping issue, but they don’t seem to exhibit the same behaviour. Hopefully this is something simple (or something I’ve missed about the way looping/retriggering works in Sequences!)

I have seen this issue before as I created an auto pattern changer, what I found was I had to move the slider forward by about 6 to 7 ticks for it to work and just put it down to a timing issue.

buddard
RE Developer

18 Sep 2020

chrispy wrote:
17 Sep 2020

Yes, I can reproduce this issue. Thanks for the detailed instructions! :thumbs_up:
I'll get working on it right away.

buddard
RE Developer

18 Sep 2020

Here's another video that goes through all the gory details of the new Condition lane:

riemac

18 Sep 2020

This update is very nice.

I'm wondering if something like Sarn Elen in the following video would be possible with Sequences in combination with Euclidean Rythm?

buddard
RE Developer

18 Sep 2020

riemac wrote:
18 Sep 2020

I'm wondering if something like Sarn Elen in the following video would be possible with Sequences in combination with Euclidean Rythm?
Yes, you can combine Sequences and Euclidean in different ways.

The most obvious way is to chain Sequences after Euclidean and set Sequences to Stepped playback mode. Then each "hit" from Euclidean will trigger the next step in Sequences. If you enable KBD Transpose mode too, you can transpose your sequence while playing, creating a sort of euclidean arpeggiator. :)

The other way is to chain Euclidean after Sequences, then Euclidean will "filter" the notes that come from Sequences, long notes will be chopped up, etc.

lowtom

19 Sep 2020

Wow. Nice update. Only thing I miss from Matrix is Cmd+R.
Please, let the "Randomize All" button be next on the implementation list :)
:reason: :refill: :re:

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2020

Bought!!! Finally!!! Woohoo!!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

buddard
RE Developer

19 Sep 2020

lowtom wrote:
19 Sep 2020
Wow. Nice update. Only thing I miss from Matrix is Cmd+R.
Please, let the "Randomize All" button be next on the implementation list :)
Well, this is not as easy as it sounds.

For a more basic step sequencer like Matrix or Step Note Recorder it's almost trivial: Each step contains exactly one note, so basically all you have to do is randomize the pitch, velocity and tie state for each step and you're done. You can always tweak things like having a reasonable range for the pitch etc, but that's pretty simple.

Sequences is more like a quantized note clip: Each step can contain 0 - N notes, they can have arbitrary lengths etc etc, so the number of possible patterns is absolutely huge in relation to the more simple sequencers. So I think a simple step randomization would simply not cut it...
We would have to come up with something akin to QNG or Evolution and integrate it into Sequences, i e putting in the same effort as creating a completely new RE! Not to mention the clutter of controls we would have to add in order to give the user some control over the process.

So I think the best way for now is to do the actual randomization in Matrix, QNG, Evolution etc, and then record the output of those into Sequences for further processing (like timing edit, conditions), organizing the different parts into patterns, and so on.

PhillipOrdonez

19 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
19 Sep 2020
Finally! Welcome to the club!

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Sep 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Sep 2020
MrFigg wrote:
19 Sep 2020
:):):):):):):):)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

moneykube

19 Sep 2020

cool update... many thanks... downloading now whoop
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

lowtom

19 Sep 2020

buddard wrote:
19 Sep 2020
So I think the best way for now is to do the actual randomization in Matrix, QNG, Evolution etc, and then record the output of those into Sequences for further processing (like timing edit, conditions), organizing the different parts into patterns, and so on.
Yes, that's what I do currently :)
:reason: :refill: :re:

EnochLight

19 Sep 2020

buddard wrote:
17 Sep 2020
By the way, if you create a track for Sequences and arm it for automation recording, you can record the automation by clicking in the Fill boxes.
Weird - can't seem to get this to work. :(
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

buddard
RE Developer

19 Sep 2020

EnochLight wrote:
19 Sep 2020
buddard wrote:
17 Sep 2020
By the way, if you create a track for Sequences and arm it for automation recording, you can record the automation by clicking in the Fill boxes.
Weird - can't seem to get this to work. :(
Just tested it here, it seems to be working fine for me!
  1. Create a pattern with Fill conditions
  2. Right-click on Sequences and choose "Create Track For Sequences"
  3. Make sure that automation is record enabled for the track (it should be by default)
  4. Hit the Record button on Reason's main transport
  5. Click in any of the fill boxes in the lane (i e the rectangle with a bright outline under each F condition) to automate fills
Note that the Fill condition is active while you're holding down the mouse button, and becomes inactive again once you release it.

Let me know if you still can't make it work!

VariableX

19 Sep 2020

brilliant update thanks! just what i was looking for and then some!!!

challism

19 Sep 2020

buddard wrote:
18 Sep 2020
riemac wrote:
18 Sep 2020

Yes, you can combine Sequences and Euclidean in different ways.

The most obvious way is to chain Sequences after Euclidean and set Sequences to Stepped playback mode. Then each "hit" from Euclidean will trigger the next step in Sequences. If you enable KBD Transpose mode too, you can transpose your sequence while playing, creating a sort of euclidean arpeggiator. :)

The other way is to chain Euclidean after Sequences, then Euclidean will "filter" the notes that come from Sequences, long notes will be chopped up, etc.
@ riemac If you haven't experimented with stacking players yet, you are MISSING OUT! That's one of the best things about players, IMO. You can stack as many players as you want, and get some happy accidents that would make Bob Ross proud. They work from the top down, similar to the rest of Reason's devices... so if you put Sequences on top, the notes from Sequences are fed down thru the players below it. Sequences + Euclidean = AMAZING!
MrFigg wrote:
19 Sep 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Sep 2020

:):):):):):):):)
So glad to hear you got it, Figg. Welcome to the club! How are you enjoying it so far? Stupid question, I know.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

PhillipOrdonez

19 Sep 2020

buddard wrote:
18 Sep 2020
Here's another video that goes through all the gory details of the new Condition lane:

Looooving the RB twist! Being able to play different notes in the same step is something I've always wanted in my elektron device. Sure you can have the adjacent trig and micro time it to overlap, but this is much easier. Thank you robotic bean!!!! 🕺

challism

19 Sep 2020

Recording "Fill" lane is working for me, too.

Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2020

Love it. No regrets. Just one question (at the moment)...you can't automate shift or octave right? Asking just so's I don't spend all morning trying to do it unnecessarily. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

buddard
RE Developer

20 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
20 Sep 2020
Love it. No regrets. Just one question (at the moment)...you can't automate shift or octave right? Asking just so's I don't spend all morning trying to do it unnecessarily. :)
No, those are destructive operations that alter the pattern data itself, so they can’t be automated..
But you can automate Transpose (or control it via MIDI notes or CV), and you can make the pattern play “out of phase” using Reset (automation or CV) or by offsetting and trimming -pattern clips.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2020

buddard wrote:
20 Sep 2020
MrFigg wrote:
20 Sep 2020
No, those are destructive operations that alter the pattern data itself, so they can’t be automated..
But you can automate Transpose (or control it via MIDI notes or CV), and you can make the pattern play “out of phase” using Reset (automation or CV) or by offsetting and trimming -pattern clips.
Thanks man. Worked that out. Also I can just copy the pattern paste it into the next pattern and shift it there :). Excellent RE. På riktigt och på sant.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

20 Sep 2020

challism wrote:
19 Sep 2020
Recording "Fill" lane is working for me, too.

Thanks - this is exactly what I needed. It was obviously “user error”! :? :lol:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

• Information