Question about send effects!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
HE77ION

16 Sep 2020

Hi everyone!

this battle i've been fighting with send effects in reason is ongoing maybe someone can help!

so when routing my send effects through the ssl then back to a mixer channel (so that I have more control over the send) im experiencing a delay, i've tried just using the 14:2 instead but something isn't right with this technique it doesn't sound the same to me!

how do i use the technique of routing back to a mixer channel without this delay, my delay compensation is on but i'm still having this problem?!

PLEASE HELP!!!

Thank you :)

antic604

16 Sep 2020

This should really be a sticky somewhere :D

https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... what-s-up-

Don't know which elements of SSL you're using to shape your send FX, but since v11 already has the dynamics and filter as separate devices, you can just chain them together before going back to return and thus use standard routing that doesn't have that delay.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

HE77ION

16 Sep 2020

HOLY SHIT DUDE! this worked!!! AAAHHHHHH THANK YOU an thanks for the quick reply! yes unchecking that audio rendering box seemed to fix the problem, god damn it was right in front of me!!! gonna go relay this message to a few other people I found asking the same question haha thanks again! :) <3

antic604

16 Sep 2020

HE77ION wrote:
16 Sep 2020
HOLY SHIT DUDE! this worked!!! AAAHHHHHH THANK YOU an thanks for the quick reply! yes unchecking that audio rendering box seemed to fix the problem, god damn it was right in front of me!!! gonna go relay this message to a few other people I found asking the same question haha thanks again! :) <3
Sure, but unchecking that box significantly impacts performance of REs and VSTs, typically by 30-40%. That's why it was introduced, because people complained about absymal VST performance compared to other DAW.

It's really better to use the default routing and just chain the devices.
Music tech enthusiast.

HE77ION

17 Sep 2020

antic604 wrote:
16 Sep 2020
HE77ION wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Sure, but unchecking that box significantly impacts performance of REs and VSTs, typically by 30-40%. That's why it was introduced, because people complained about absymal VST performance compared to other DAW.

It's really better to use the default routing and just chain the devices.
yes I know what you mean now it definitely drags a lot more with that box unchecked! can you elaborate on what you mean by chaining devices? the thing that bothers me is I would like to be able to send those inserts to busses an have them follow along with automations an all that. would I still be able to have control by using that method? i'm guessing yes but just tryna wrap my head around that method! thanks man!

antic604

18 Sep 2020

HE77ION wrote:
17 Sep 2020
yes I know what you mean now it definitely drags a lot more with that box unchecked! can you elaborate on what you mean by chaining devices? the thing that bothers me is I would like to be able to send those inserts to busses an have them follow along with automations an all that. would I still be able to have control by using that method? i'm guessing yes but just tryna wrap my head around that method! thanks man!
Say you want to have Reverb on your send, where you controll high-pass filter and volume of the FX over time. You just chain them together (hold Shift while adding devices to not have them wired automatically!) before they all go back into return FX and - like everything else - automate the parameters you want. Like so:

Music tech enthusiast.

HE77ION

20 Sep 2020

antic604 wrote:
18 Sep 2020
HE77ION wrote:
17 Sep 2020
Say you want to have Reverb on your send, where you controll high-pass filter and volume of the FX over time. You just chain them together (hold Shift while adding devices to not have them wired automatically!) before they all go back into return FX and - like everything else - automate the parameters you want. Like so:

awesome! thanks for the video man! I think I never really thought of it in this way I know how to chain devices together but haven't thought of just simply automating those effects an what not an if compression is needed I can just chain that as well!!! this is definitely the solution I needed! thanks for your point of view, much appreciated! one more thing if you don't mind what do you do when you run out of those 8 sends?

antic604

20 Sep 2020

HE77ION wrote:
20 Sep 2020
one more thing if you don't mind what do you do when you run out of those 8 sends?
I never did, but perhaps I'd use Parallel Out that each track has and route all of them to silenced 14:2 Mixer that can have 4 sends? You wouldn't have access to them from the SSL Mixer, though.
Music tech enthusiast.

selig
RE Developer

21 Sep 2020

antic604 wrote:
20 Sep 2020
HE77ION wrote:
20 Sep 2020
one more thing if you don't mind what do you do when you run out of those 8 sends?
I never did, but perhaps I'd use Parallel Out that each track has and route all of them to silenced 14:2 Mixer that can have 4 sends? You wouldn't have access to them from the SSL Mixer, though.
This will most likely sound different from using sends. The parallel out is "pre everything" in the channel. Sends are typically "post everything". This means that with sends, any dynamics, EQ, filtering, inserts, and even the fader position will affect the send signal.
For Reason users to add more sends there would need to be one simple change: direct outputs on each channel would need to NOT mute the main signal when used. As it is, connecting direct outputs mutes the main signal, which is not useful. The "real" SSL mixer uses a button to turn the Direct Outs on/off, and I wish this was the way Reason worked!
The only alternative is to add pre-fader sends (not as useful as post fader sends), and even then the only way to do it is to tap the inserts - and this only works if the inserts are in the last position (after dynamics and filter/EQ).
Selig Audio, LLC

motuscott

21 Sep 2020

I'm new to 11 and have always had my insert FX return to a board channel (and accepted the solo glitch), but damn, I guess I'm not too old to learn.
Thanks Antic
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

mcatalao
Competition Winner

25 Sep 2020

selig wrote:
21 Sep 2020
antic604 wrote:
20 Sep 2020

This will most likely sound different from using sends. The parallel out is "pre everything" in the channel. Sends are typically "post everything". This means that with sends, any dynamics, EQ, filtering, inserts, and even the fader position will affect the send signal.
For Reason users to add more sends there would need to be one simple change: direct outputs on each channel would need to NOT mute the main signal when used. As it is, connecting direct outputs mutes the main signal, which is not useful. The "real" SSL mixer uses a button to turn the Direct Outs on/off, and I wish this was the way Reason worked!
The only alternative is to add pre-fader sends (not as useful as post fader sends), and even then the only way to do it is to tap the inserts - and this only works if the inserts are in the last position (after dynamics and filter/EQ).
Yep. I found a way to create post fader, post inserts parallels with the behavior of sends, using a group in the middle but the process turns just 2 "sends" so complicated that I think I never use it beyound the discovery process. Also thought adding this is not necessarily difficult it also breaks latency compensation in the routing specially if you use a mixer in the middle (all latency compensation is implemental at the channel level) so it might not be worth it. But it's possible.

• Information