Help us make Reason better, take a short survey!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7788
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 16 Sep 2020

bxbrkrz wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Done. I let the others fill up the suggestion box for me. We share what we want, and it's 99% the same things: high rez scrolling ads directly in the rack. Obviously.
Its like voting politicians...use your voice...got it?
b72fe613de0bc54b2fdd47d8a6d7980f.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2470
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2020

Loque wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Jackjackdaw wrote:
16 Sep 2020
I went easy in the comments box at the end, just put in a couple of things that keep tripping me up. The questions themselves seemed more marketing / demographic orientated than concerned with user experience. At the end of the day, I have just about made peace with Reason's short comings and I use it because I like it but its bloody frustrating filling in a survey when it's damn obvious what features are missing or are out of date.
What obvious to ppl is not obvious to the boss. He needs evidence, even if no survey is fully representative, it will help to force decisions and directions and make ppl sure about their decisions.
normally I’d agree, but if the feedback is (as it has been for several years) “add basic features that are in every other DAW“, it really shouldn’t require continuous handholding. like, go open Ableton or Protools, or Cakewalk, or Reaper, etc, etc, and most of these basics are staring you in the face if you have even a passing familiarity with them. as Mattias has said, he’s spent a good deal of time in the feature suggestion thread, so most of these things should be known at this point, and I guess it’s a matter of prioritization.

of course, I’m still very glad to see them asking the questions. I just hope the responses don’t end up with them leaving all these quality of life features on the cutting room floor in favor of a new combinator (which is something I support, but I don’t think it should take priority over basic DAW functionality).

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1689
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 16 Sep 2020

One thing I would say about the survey design is that it's likely you'll get a grey mush of results going by the 1 to 5 average. What does 2.7 average mean, or even 3.3. I would simply look at responses 1 and 5, either a strong disagreement or agreement; ignore the 2, 3's and 4's. Then if the 1 and 5's are similarly populated, ignore that issue. Concentrate on the issues where either polarity is dominant.

Just my 2 penneth.

deeplink
Posts: 85
Joined: 08 Jul 2020
Location: Dubai

Post 16 Sep 2020

I wonder how many SoundCloud links will end up in the feedback section

User avatar
Loque
Posts: 7788
Joined: 28 Dec 2015

Post 16 Sep 2020

Zac wrote:
16 Sep 2020
One thing I would say about the survey design is that it's likely you'll get a grey mush of results going by the 1 to 5 average. What does 2.7 average mean, or even 3.3. I would simply look at responses 1 and 5, either a strong disagreement or agreement; ignore the 2, 3's and 4's. Then if the 1 and 5's are similarly populated, ignore that issue. Concentrate on the issues where either polarity is dominant.

Just my 2 penneth.
If you are on the average track, you get the Normal Distribution. If you are better, the curve leans to the right. Ff you suck, the curve leans to the left.
:reason: 11, Win10 64Bit.

User avatar
Zac
Posts: 1689
Joined: 19 May 2016

Post 16 Sep 2020

Loque wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Zac wrote:
16 Sep 2020
One thing I would say about the survey design is that it's likely you'll get a grey mush of results going by the 1 to 5 average. What does 2.7 average mean, or even 3.3. I would simply look at responses 1 and 5, either a strong disagreement or agreement; ignore the 2, 3's and 4's. Then if the 1 and 5's are similarly populated, ignore that issue. Concentrate on the issues where either polarity is dominant.

Just my 2 penneth.
If you are on the average track, you get the Normal Distribution. If you are better, the curve leans to the right. Ff you suck, the curve leans to the left.
I know a thing or two about statistics thanks.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1840
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2020

Loque wrote:
16 Sep 2020
bxbrkrz wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Done. I let the others fill up the suggestion box for me. We share what we want, and it's 99% the same things: high rez scrolling ads directly in the rack. Obviously.
Its like voting politicians...use your voice...got it?

b72fe613de0bc54b2fdd47d8a6d7980f.gif
Sarcasm is dead. Obviously :D

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 201
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 16 Sep 2020

Noise wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Convert SONG CLIPS to block!
explanation: every clip below the block, will be moved in the block, and vice-versa: like the already existent "convert block clip to song clip"

Column Selection:
I would like very much to select clips by column, this would help a lot in arrangements, to move pieces quickly, without creating a "square" selection and try to include all the clips in the selection like I had 100 dexterity.
Switch to Razor tool (R), hold Ctrl/Cmd and click & drag on the beat ruler or to non-destructively select and copy column of clips to a buffer and then paste them wherever you want :)

Image
Last edited by antic604 on 16 Sep 2020, edited 3 times in total.
MPC One // A4 Mk1 // OT Mk1 + Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
Creativemind
Posts: 3565
Joined: 17 Jan 2015
Location: Stoke-On-Trent, England, UK

Post 16 Sep 2020

guitfnky wrote:
16 Sep 2020
of course, I’m still very glad to see them asking the questions. I just hope the responses don’t end up with them leaving all these quality of life features on the cutting room floor in favor of a new combinator (which is something I support, but I don’t think it should take priority over basic DAW functionality).
Yes and no in some ways as we need basic functionality in lots of areas but we also do need shiny things like an updated Thor, NN-XT or Combinator as well. I just wish they'd give us more in updates because 11 was very light imo (some of 11's features were basic functionality weren't they that should've just been thrown in as an extra, not as a feature highlight) and they didn't fully finish the things they did implement such as no multiple curves for the crossfades or automation? no drawable automation etc
:reason:

Propellerhead Reason 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.14 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Pro Tools First / Steinberg Cubase LE 5
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

User avatar
dioxide
Posts: 1272
Joined: 15 Jul 2015

Post 16 Sep 2020

Done. I'm the one moaning about lack of clip launching.

User avatar
Noise
Posts: 183
Joined: 16 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2020

antic604 wrote:
16 Sep 2020

Switch to Razor tool (R), hold Ctrl/Cmd and click & drag on the beat ruler or to non-destructively select and copy column of clips to a buffer and then paste them wherever you want :)
:roll:

Well... I'm guessing this was one of those cases "rtfm" . Never ocurred to me that a sharp blade would select things. Thank you Antic604.
Ok, at least I still have my convert song clips to block to argue. ( checks the manual nervously )

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2470
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2020

Creativemind wrote:
16 Sep 2020
guitfnky wrote:
16 Sep 2020
of course, I’m still very glad to see them asking the questions. I just hope the responses don’t end up with them leaving all these quality of life features on the cutting room floor in favor of a new combinator (which is something I support, but I don’t think it should take priority over basic DAW functionality).
Yes and no in some ways as we need basic functionality in lots of areas but we also do need shiny things like an updated Thor, NN-XT or Combinator as well. I just wish they'd give us more in updates because 11 was very light imo (some of 11's features were basic functionality weren't they that should've just been thrown in as an extra, not as a feature highlight) and they didn't fully finish the things they did implement such as no multiple curves for the crossfades or automation? no drawable automation etc
meh, they’ve given us a ton of shiny new toys in 10-11. unless you’re content using Reason as a plugin in another DAW (I’m not), there is nothing more pressing than getting Reason up to modern-DAW standards. IMO, of course.

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1840
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2020

The NN-XT should be annihilated, then rebuilt with many common and new functionalities, like a sample robot for outboard gear.

User avatar
Jackjackdaw
Posts: 672
Joined: 12 Jan 2019

Post 16 Sep 2020

antic604 wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Noise wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Convert SONG CLIPS to block!
explanation: every clip below the block, will be moved in the block, and vice-versa: like the already existent "convert block clip to song clip"

Column Selection:
I would like very much to select clips by column, this would help a lot in arrangements, to move pieces quickly, without creating a "square" selection and try to include all the clips in the selection like I had 100 dexterity.
Switch to Razor tool (R), hold Ctrl/Cmd and click & drag on the beat ruler or to non-destructively select and copy column of clips to a buffer and then paste them wherever you want :)

Image
This is a very cool trick I wasn't aware of. However, how do you deselect once selected? I'm just getting selection upon selection that seems to be stuck selected

User avatar
chimp_spanner
Posts: 2480
Joined: 06 Mar 2015

Post 16 Sep 2020

dioxide wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Done. I'm the one moaning about lack of clip launching.
Ya know, as cool as clip launching is in Live, I really don't use it much for full arrangement. I don't like the amount of duplication required in creating new scenes. Instanced clips/ghost copies would be waaaay more useful for me. Something more akin to painting patterns in FL.

User avatar
esselfortium
Posts: 1299
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2020

Thanks for doing this. Filled out the survey and my wishlist for smarter mixer/sequencer/rack organization (with folders!), track presets to save and recall groups of tracks with their mixer channels, and macros.

User avatar
mcatalao
Posts: 1255
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2020

esselfortium wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Thanks for doing this. Filled out the survey and my wishlist for smarter mixer/sequencer/rack organization (with folders!), track presets to save and recall groups of tracks with their mixer channels, and macros.
Hehe... Pretty much the same list. And a bigger combinator on the rack and mixer (the insert combinator). And Auto Punch in. I'll never shut up about auto punch in. Until I die or we get it. Whatever comes first and I hope we get it WAAAAAAYYYYY before I die!!!l

Hehe!

User avatar
antic604
Posts: 201
Joined: 02 Apr 2020

Post 16 Sep 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
16 Sep 2020
This is a very cool trick I wasn't aware of. However, how do you deselect once selected? I'm just getting selection upon selection that seems to be stuck selected
Yeah, I should've elaborated.

Once you do the Ctlr/Cmd+Razor selection, Reason creates an overlay of clips that "sits" on top of existing clips, so you either need to go back to selection tool (Q) and drag them to new place, or Ctrl/Cmd+X and Ctrl/Cmd+V there.

Image
Last edited by antic604 on 16 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.
MPC One // A4 Mk1 // OT Mk1 + Bitwig 3 // Reason 11 // Studio One 5 Pro @ Lenovo Y730 15'' i7-8750h
my music - https://soundcloud.com/antic604

User avatar
esselfortium
Posts: 1299
Joined: 15 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2020

I had no idea that alternate mode existed for the razor tool, thanks for the tip! I'd gotten used to doing that by razoring the clips, ctrl-c to copy the result to the clipboard, then ctrl-z to undo the razoring...

User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2470
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2020

mcatalao wrote:
16 Sep 2020
esselfortium wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Thanks for doing this. Filled out the survey and my wishlist for smarter mixer/sequencer/rack organization (with folders!), track presets to save and recall groups of tracks with their mixer channels, and macros.
Hehe... Pretty much the same list. And a bigger combinator on the rack and mixer (the insert combinator). And Auto Punch in. I'll never shut up about auto punch in. Until I die or we get it. Whatever comes first and I hope we get it WAAAAAAYYYYY before I die!!!l

Hehe!
to me, the lack of auto punch (and markers) feels sort of like a canary in a coal mine. not in the sense that something bad is coming, but just as this sort of emblematic demonstration of how far behind other DAWs Reason is on basic bread and butter, meat and potato, *insert additional pedestrian food pairing here* functionality. like they’re so simple, how could we possibly still NOT have them?

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1840
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2020

guitfnky wrote:
16 Sep 2020
mcatalao wrote:
16 Sep 2020


Hehe... Pretty much the same list. And a bigger combinator on the rack and mixer (the insert combinator). And Auto Punch in. I'll never shut up about auto punch in. Until I die or we get it. Whatever comes first and I hope we get it WAAAAAAYYYYY before I die!!!l

Hehe!
to me, the lack of auto punch (and markers) feels sort of like a canary in a coal mine. not in the sense that something bad is coming, but just as this sort of emblematic demonstration of how far behind other DAWs Reason is on basic bread and butter, meat and potato, *insert additional pedestrian food pairing here* functionality. like they’re so simple, how could we possibly still NOT have them?
It is by design they don't do it. I don't know why.


User avatar
guitfnky
Posts: 2470
Joined: 19 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2020

bxbrkrz wrote:
16 Sep 2020
guitfnky wrote:
16 Sep 2020


to me, the lack of auto punch (and markers) feels sort of like a canary in a coal mine. not in the sense that something bad is coming, but just as this sort of emblematic demonstration of how far behind other DAWs Reason is on basic bread and butter, meat and potato, *insert additional pedestrian food pairing here* functionality. like they’re so simple, how could we possibly still NOT have them?
It is by design they don't do it. I don't know why.

it wouldn’t surprise me at all if it was, but either way, behind is behind. 😅

User avatar
bxbrkrz
Posts: 1840
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2020

guitfnky wrote:
16 Sep 2020
bxbrkrz wrote:
16 Sep 2020

It is by design they don't do it. I don't know why.

[yt]
it wouldn’t surprise me at all if it was, but either way, behind is behind. 😅
Auto punch in/out, ghost parts, arrangement windows (I never used it) was already in Cubase 1.0 :mrgreen:

Image

pouliosk
Posts: 1
Joined: 23 Aug 2020

Post 16 Sep 2020

Completed and submitted the survey, thanks Mattias. And hello to the rest of the peoples around here.
Been reading this forum a lot, but first time posting.

User avatar
mcatalao
Posts: 1255
Joined: 17 Jan 2015

Post 16 Sep 2020

bxbrkrz wrote:
16 Sep 2020
guitfnky wrote:
16 Sep 2020


it wouldn’t surprise me at all if it was, but either way, behind is behind. 😅
Auto punch in/out, ghost parts, arrangement windows (I never used it) was already in Cubase 1.0 :mrgreen:

Image
I used arrangement windows in Cubase which is similar to blocks. But I've never had much love for ghost parts but what I really miss is auto punch in. It is on the other daws because it's useful, and if the design doesn't let it in the there's something to be reviewed in the design. IMHO of course.

  • Information
  • Who is online

    Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot] and 4 guests