CC Output thru MIDI Out device - is really works ?

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
ab459

25 Jul 2020

Hi

For some reason i do not see MIDI activity in DAW via use "CV In to Midi CC Out" thru MIDI Out device in rackplugin. Can someone confirm that it works at all ?
For example, i connect Subtractor's lfo to cv1.
But, if put lfo to Gate input (sequencer control) of midi out - yes, it produces activity.

Studio One 4 here.

danc

04 Aug 2020

ab459 wrote:
25 Jul 2020
Hi

For some reason i do not see MIDI activity in DAW via use "CV In to Midi CC Out" thru MIDI Out device in rackplugin. Can someone confirm that it works at all ?
But, if put lfo to Gate input (sequencer control) of midi out - yes, it produces activity.

Studio One 4 here.
Short and simple answer... It doesn't work in Studio One.... I've tried and had confirmation from Presonus that it s a known bug. This is a bug with all VST3s in S1 where Midi cc is not outputting.
Check my Soundcloud:

ab459

04 Aug 2020

danc wrote:
04 Aug 2020
ab459 wrote:
25 Jul 2020
Hi

Studio One 4 here.
Short and simple answer... It doesn't work in Studio One.... I've tried and had confirmation from Presonus that it s a known bug. This is a bug with all VST3s in S1 where Midi cc is not outputting.
Oh damn, thanks for share. Sad.

ab459

15 Sep 2020

danc wrote:
04 Aug 2020
ab459 wrote:
25 Jul 2020
Hi

Studio One 4 here.
I tried today this in Plogue Bidule + internal MIDI monitor - and the same result, outcoming CC signal not works.
So, i starting to think that it's not a studio one bug.

So, the same question - someone can get work of outcoming CC thru Reason MIDI Out device in RRP ? (at all, In any DAW)

Added: and Pitch Bend\Mod Wheel outputs no works too.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

16 Sep 2020

ab459 wrote:
15 Sep 2020
danc wrote:
04 Aug 2020

I tried today this in Plogue Bidule + internal MIDI monitor - and the same result, outcoming CC signal not works.
So, i starting to think that it's not a studio one bug.

So, the same question - someone can get work of outcoming CC thru Reason MIDI Out device in RRP ? (at all, In any DAW)

Added: and Pitch Bend\Mod Wheel outputs no works too.
Yes, it works in both Ableton Live 10 (latest version) and Cubase. It was not originally in the VST3 spec, so DAWs need to update their hosting for it to work.

antic604

16 Sep 2020

ab459 wrote:
25 Jul 2020
Studio One 4 here.
Yeah, it wasn't working in S1 v4.5, but I'm gonna try to see if they fixed it in v5.
I'll report back in the evening (if I won't forget :mrgreen: )
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

ab459

16 Sep 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Yes, it works in both Ableton Live 10 (latest version) and Cubase. It was not originally in the VST3 spec, so DAWs need to update their hosting for it to work.
Oh damn, got it. (I could also check in Ableton, but I have v9 unfortunately, it seems it will the same).
antic604 wrote:
16 Sep 2020
but I'm gonna try to see if they fixed it in v5.
Ok would be interesting to know.

antic604

16 Sep 2020

ab459 wrote:
16 Sep 2020
MattiasHG wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Oh damn, got it. (I could also check in Ableton, but I have v9 unfortunately, it seems it will the same).
antic604 wrote:
16 Sep 2020
but I'm gonna try to see if they fixed it in v5.
Hmm. How would I actually test it? It's easy in Bitwig, because there's dedicated device that captures CC signal and changes it to modulation that I can attach to whatever. But I've no idea how to do similar thing in Studio One :(
Music tech enthusiast.

ab459

16 Sep 2020

antic604 wrote:
16 Sep 2020
ab459 wrote:
16 Sep 2020

Hmm. How would I actually test it? It's easy in Bitwig, because there's dedicated device that captures CC signal and changes it to modulation that I can attach to whatever. But I've no idea how to do similar thing in Studio One :(
Here example:

1) Open RRP in S1 as instrument
2) In S1 as second track add any VST instrument who have Pitch\Mod wheels (graphically, in UI)
3) In this vst track, in "Instrument Input" dropdown list choose "ReasonRackPlugin"
4) Open RRP and add "MIDI Out Device" (from factory instrument devices list)
5) For test outcoming MIDI signal thru midi out device, add Subtractor in RRP, and connect his LFO output to "Gate" first (Gate at backward panel of MIDI out device), and increase LFO1 rate in Subtractor for better activity - you start to hear repeating sound of your VSTi. (And together with this, you will see yellow vertical animated column in your VSTi track, that represented incoming MIDI activity in S1 track). So, it works.
6) Now, disconnect LFO from Gate, and connect respectively to "Mod wheel" or "Pitch bend" jack in backward Midi out device panel - so, this is it : See what will occurs with Pitch\Mod wheels at your VSTi UI - will it modulate or not, and will or not appears yellow column (midi activity) indication in your vsti track.

And the same for jacks "CV In to MIDI CC Out" at backward panel of Midi out device. Though test of only Pitch\Mod wheels will be enough (Ie it assume that if they work, then other will too).

antic604

16 Sep 2020

ab459 wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Here example
I did all of this earlier, so perhaps it just doesn't work :(
Music tech enthusiast.

ab459

16 Sep 2020

antic604 wrote:
16 Sep 2020
ab459 wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Here example
That bad.
Although, the information that only need to update vst3 hosting for each of the daw manufacturers gives some hope.

antic604

17 Sep 2020

ab459 wrote:
16 Sep 2020
antic604 wrote:
16 Sep 2020

That bad.
Although, the information that only need to update vst3 hosting for each of the daw manufacturers gives some hope.
Yup. Reaper fixed it within 1-2 days of RRP release, Bitwig took a month or so, Ableton apparently fixed it too. Perhaps it's not a priority for Presonus because you can't use that CC anyway further in the chain? At least I don't know how I'd for example map filter cutoff on a synth to LFO generated by Pulsar in RRP?
Music tech enthusiast.

ab459

17 Sep 2020

antic604 wrote:
17 Sep 2020
Perhaps it's not a priority for Presonus because you can't use that CC anyway further in the chain? At least I don't know how I'd for example map filter cutoff on a synth to LFO generated by Pulsar in RRP?
Well, yes ofcourse the main thing this is translate notes from RRP to DAW, other things not critical, but i just wanted to make sure that it's not RRP bug.
What regards using CC from RRP in S1, well i sure it's possible, but depends from certain vst plugin, some plugs allow to assign CC control by manually enter of CC number per parameter. Other already have some assigned CC map under hood - so you can use this.

In general, i think the absence of such feature is not critical for use in traditional DAW, but could be quite interesting to use\experiment with this in modular hosts like Bidule.

• Information