Soundtoys Effect Rack $84 on JRRShop

Discuss VST stuff here!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2020

$84 for 2 days with code Group. Worth getting?
https://www.jrrshop.com/soundtoys-effect-rack
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Boombastix
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Wow, that is less than $10 a piece, never seen it this cheap. It all depends on what you already have, will the EchoBoy make your songs better, probably not, but it is a nice delay unit. Interestingly it is strangely absent of a dedicated flanger. I use Microshift the most, and I cannot wrap my head around drawing my own modulation curves, it is wonky a.f. Many like the distortion from Decapitator, but it is nothing that special imo, just the right knobs to dial it in quickly. But then you can do soo much with the fantastic Waves StudioRack.

The SoundToys Rack only stacks them on top of each other, with a wet/dry for the whole stack, but no multiband, parallel, or mid/side like Waves.
There is no compressor or reverb inside the SoundToys Rack, very limited on the EQ. But non the less this isa great deal if you lack FX units.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2020

Boombastix wrote:
16 Sep 2020
MrFigg wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Wow, that is less than $10 a piece, never seen it this cheap. It all depends on what you already have, will the EchoBoy make your songs better, probably not, but it is a nice delay unit. Interestingly it is strangely absent of a dedicated flanger. I use Microshift the most, and I cannot wrap my head around drawing my own modulation curves, it is wonky a.f. Many like the distortion from Decapitator, but it is nothing that special imo, just the right knobs to dial it in quickly. But then you can do soo much with the fantastic Waves StudioRack.

The SoundToys Rack only stacks them on top of each other, with a wet/dry for the whole stack, but no multiband, parallel, or mid/side like Waves.
There is no compressor or reverb inside the SoundToys Rack, very limited on the EQ. But non the less this isa great deal if you lack FX units.
Thanks man. All good info. The last sentence “...if you lack effects units. “ made my decision for me. :). Thanks. $84 back in my pocket. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

dvdrtldg

16 Sep 2020

Depends, I guess. Do you already have some Soundtoys plugins? If not, then this is a no brainer. The rack itself is nothing special, a few interesting presets I guess. But the plugins are fantastic and well worth the price

There is a compressor included - Devil Loc, which isn't your everyday workhorse comp but a massive over-the-top crush kill destroy beast and it fucking rules

EchoBoy and Primal Tap are excellent delays - EchoBoy is my go-to analogue style delay unit, and Primal Tap has some cool features, it's quite eccentric and there's nothing else like it out there

Sie-Q is a deceptively simple passive EQ that goes really well on the low end. Radiator and Decapitator are justly famous saturation/distortion units. Crystallizer is a weird pitch-shifty granular device that has some very nice tricks up its sleeve. And so on and so forth

You're not getting the entire Soundtoys suite, but almost. The missing plugins are mostly just stripped back versions of the fuller-featured ones you get in the rack (e.g. EchoBoy Jr, Little Primal Tap, Little Radiator etc) and you don't really need them

The only missing plugins that matter are Little Plate (a basic but nice reverb) and Little Alter Boy (a cool vocal pitch/formant mangler). So that's a shame. But $84 for the rest? Fuck, grab it. Don't even think twice, it's an insane bargain

You might have a bunch of FX already, but imo Soundtoys bring something special to the table - their thing is fat dirty tube sound as opposed to clean clinical digital, and they really nail it

Mataya

16 Sep 2020

Does anybody know if I can expand this rack in the future? If I want alter boy for example, can I purchase it separately and add it to this rack?

tx
M

Billy+

16 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
16 Sep 2020
The same deal is also available on PiB but Reason is not a supported DAW & you don't get the full 21 unit rack only 14, so if you wasn't looking to get it then I wouldn't rush out and buy before you try!

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... ffect-Rack

If you do get it please report back on compatibility within Reason 11 if you can

The Soundtoys Effect Rack includes 14 Soundtoys plug-ins:

Crystallizer
Decapitator
EchoBoy
EchoBoy Jr.
PrimalTap
Devil-Loc Deluxe
Radiator
MicroShift
Tremolator
Sie-Q
FilterFreak
PhaseMistress
PanMan
Devil-Loc

$99 on the official site
https://www.soundtoys.com/product/effect-rack/

dvdrtldg

16 Sep 2020

:|
Last edited by dvdrtldg on 16 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2020

Billy wrote:
16 Sep 2020
MrFigg wrote:
16 Sep 2020
The same deal is also available on PiB but Reason is not a supported DAW & you don't get the full 21 unit rack only 14, so if you wasn't looking to get it then I wouldn't rush out and buy before you try!

https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/ ... ffect-Rack

If you do get it please report back on compatibility within Reason 11 if you can

The Soundtoys Effect Rack includes 14 Soundtoys plug-ins:

Crystallizer
Decapitator
EchoBoy
EchoBoy Jr.
PrimalTap
Devil-Loc Deluxe
Radiator
MicroShift
Tremolator
Sie-Q
FilterFreak
PhaseMistress
PanMan
Devil-Loc

$99 on the official site
https://www.soundtoys.com/product/effect-rack/
Im not going to get it. Decided I don’t need it. It’s cheaper in JRR than PB. Are you saying it doesn’t work in Reason??
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

16 Sep 2020

No I'm not saying it doesn't work, they just don't list reason as a supported host.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2020

Billy wrote:
16 Sep 2020
No I'm not saying it doesn't work, they just don't list reason as a supported host.
Aa. Right. Yeah, that’s more often than not the case on PB
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

16 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Billy wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Aa. Right. Yeah, that’s more often than not the case on PB
The information was found on official sound toys site.

Billy+

16 Sep 2020

https://support.soundtoys.com/article/4 ... ist-portal

Unsupported DAWs

If your DAW is not on the above list, it does not mean that our plug-ins will not work - it just means we do not test with those applications. In the event that you do not use a supported DAW, you can refer to your DAW's online documentation to reset and rescan your plug-ins in those programs.

FL Studio 20

Bitwig Studio 3

Reason 11

Reaper

Loque

16 Sep 2020

I have them since a while and they work in Reason. But i do not use all devices regularly, mostly EchoBoy, Decapitator, Plate and AlterBoy from time to time. They work solid. The draw back imo is:
* Not everything can be automated
* No scaleable UI
* Since they simulate analog stuff, they introduce noise all the time, which can be massivly audible in certain situations
* The filter has both always on (wtf???)
* Sometimes its fiddly and the buttons feel a bit wonky (but its ok)
* The presets are quite often not my cup of tea
* Support is sh!t

I have no clue, how automation works in the rack. I speculate, only the macro buttons can be automated...but i am not sure.
Reason12, Win10

Boombastix
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Mataya wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Does anybody know if I can expand this rack in the future? If I want alter boy for example, can I purchase it separately and add it to this rack?

tx
M
Yep. All your Soundtoys plugins will show up in the rack as soon as they're installed & registered

To be honest though, I'd be more excited about the plugins than the rack. Compared to the Reason rack it's pretty basic, I almost never use it
NO they don't. None of the "Little..." ones show up in the Rack, that includes LittleAlterboy and LittlePlate. SoundToys has misleading info about this, and I got angry since I could not put the plate reverb in the that Rack. And I agree with Loque, many presets are just gimmicky, and issues with automation, really hard to draw in you modulation curves inside those FX that has this feature. I know many swear by this brand, they sound great, but they are fiddly to operate, and their rack is a dud, might as well just stack the individual FX in a Combinator and mix with other VSTs, much better that way.

By they way the formant shift on Little AlterBoys is glitchy, to the point almost unusable in some cases (not always, but often enough), Neptune's formant is in 99% of the cases equal or better.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Steedus
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2020

I wouldn’t write off the little plugins. I have Plate and little radiator (in addition to the full radiator). They’re both great. The reverb is dark but so smooth. Since getting it I never touch DR-1 anymore. And little radiator isn’t just a basic version of radiator, it really is a completely different sounding plugin. In the same vein sure, but I find it’s very different.

Billy+

16 Sep 2020

Sounds like they should ditch the rack and sell the units as a discounted bundle.

PhillipOrdonez

16 Sep 2020

I got the rack and love the effects. Look forward to a good sale for the bundle so I can use them outside the rack, but for now the rack works for me. Excellent devices for mixing, but you don't do a lot of mixing Mr Figg, so you don't need these 😎

MrFigg
Competition Winner

16 Sep 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
16 Sep 2020
I got the rack and love the effects. Look forward to a good sale for the bundle so I can use them outside the rack, but for now the rack works for me. Excellent devices for mixing, but you don't do a lot of mixing Mr Figg, so you don't need these 😎
Yeah. I know Phill :). Realised that within 5 minutes of starting this thread. I just dug our Torsion Texture Lab from the box and man is it awesome. Working nights a bit now so I’m going to look at the manual. First for everything but I seriously can’t work out what’s going on with it Hahahaha :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

PhillipOrdonez

16 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
16 Sep 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Yeah. I know Phill :). Realised that within 5 minutes of starting this thread. I just dug our Torsion Texture Lab from the box and man is it awesome. Working nights a bit now so I’m going to look at the manual. First for everything but I seriously can’t work out what’s going on with it Hahahaha :).
😱

dvdrtldg

16 Sep 2020

Boombastix wrote:
16 Sep 2020
dvdrtldg wrote:
16 Sep 2020

Yep. All your Soundtoys plugins will show up in the rack as soon as they're installed & registered

To be honest though, I'd be more excited about the plugins than the rack. Compared to the Reason rack it's pretty basic, I almost never use it
NO they don't. None of the "Little..." ones show up in the Rack, that includes LittleAlterboy and LittlePlate. SoundToys has misleading info about this, and I got angry since I could not put the plate reverb in the that Rack.
Oh shit you're right. My bad

MattLeschuck

16 Sep 2020

I have the Soundtoys 5 complete bundle and i use it all the time in Reason. No issues at all for me. That is a great deal they have going right now. Most used are Echoboy, Echoboy JR, Sie Q, Radiator, Decapitator and my favorite, Pan Man! All of them sound good however. The only one im meh about is Little Plate, I just find it a bit too dark for my taste.

MGB

16 Sep 2020

Considering jumping on this - anyone know if you can automate parameters on the individual plugins within the effect rack?

Edit - just to clarify, I don't mean the reason rack, i mean the soundtoys rack - and just wanting to make sure that if i get this then I will still have full control over the individual pieces within the soundtoys wrapper, not just the universal combinator-style parameters at the top of the rack.

MattLeschuck

16 Sep 2020

MGB wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Considering jumping on this - anyone know if you can automate parameters on the individual plugins within the effect rack?

Edit - just to clarify, I don't mean the reason rack, i mean the soundtoys rack - and just wanting to make sure that if i get this then I will still have full control over the individual pieces within the soundtoys wrapper, not just the universal combinator-style parameters at the top of the rack.
I just tested a few of the plugins in the rack and the automation all worked fine for me (echoboy jr, pan man, decapitator). There is one catch however. It doesn't assign names to the automation. I could see this being a bit annoying if you have a lot going on.
Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 4.31.35 PM.png
Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 4.31.35 PM.png (85.8 KiB) Viewed 2144 times

MGB

16 Sep 2020

Awesome - thanks for running the test! Still unsure whether I'll take the plunge or hold out for a while longer and hope the full bundle is dropped in black friday madness. cheers!

MattLeschuck wrote:
16 Sep 2020
MGB wrote:
16 Sep 2020

I just tested a few of the plugins in the rack and the automation all worked fine for me (echoboy jr, pan man, decapitator). There is one catch however. It doesn't assign names to the automation. I could see this being a bit annoying if you have a lot going on.
Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 4.31.35 PM.png

PhillipOrdonez

16 Sep 2020

MGB wrote:
16 Sep 2020
Awesome - thanks for running the test! Still unsure whether I'll take the plunge or hold out for a while longer and hope the full bundle is dropped in black friday madness. cheers!

MattLeschuck wrote:
16 Sep 2020

I just tested a few of the plugins in the rack and the automation all worked fine for me (echoboy jr, pan man, decapitator). There is one catch however. It doesn't assign names to the automation. I could see this being a bit annoying if you have a lot going on.Screen Shot 2020-09-16 at 4.31.35 PM.png
I got the effect rack and waiting for the very same thing. Don't you think you'd get a better price if you upgrade from the effect rack? I hope I do... The current price is crazy low. I got it for 99 a few months back and thought the price was crazy low back then! 😲

• Information