Waves GTR3, did anyone try it?

Discuss VST stuff here!
arqui

08 Sep 2020

Hello
I was looking at the Waves website, and I saw that the GTR3 bundle pack is on sale with the discount coupon (LASTCALL) at $ 29.99, I think it is an excellent price for a pack of amps and effects for guitar, now it will be good Will it be worth the purchase or will it sound like a rusty tin?
I have some Waves plugins, but the way they have license verification bothers me a lot, so I uninstalled them.
if GTR3 is worth it, I would reinstall the others as well
I would appreciate any comments.
Thank you
Regards
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

WOO

08 Sep 2020

Yea i did awhile back. Passed on buying. I haven't found any guitar plugins that sound good to my ears.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

08 Sep 2020

I grabbed it just for the pedals, so I cannot comment too much on the amps.

ALL the pedals can be used inside the free Waves StudioRack, as individuals or in the pedals stomp sets of 2, 4, 6.

Now you can do Multiband stuff, I just made an acoustic gtr loop go from meh to WOW! using a Fuzz+Phazer for the lows, Chorus, auto-pan, auto wah in the mid, Rev Delay + Reverb for the high, the Rev Dly does a +1 oct pitch on the delays for a cool shimmery top, and the whole sound has a grungy bottom, shimmery top with a supercool funky wah effect in the middle.

You barely make that with $200 worth of plugins - so together with StudioRack - it is a killer setup. Easy to just click and assign up to 8 macros. Automation heaven. You can do FX on just L or R, Mid, or Side, or both L+R as well, say you want to do a slow chorus on L and a fast chours on R, there is just sooo much. And it is fast and easy to do, no need to drag in mixers or connect wires, fast to change routing and try something new. Started with 2-band but want a 4-band split, click - done.... easy.

I will probably soon grab the new Kaleidoscopes to get those cool modulation methods that act on transients etc.

I use only Waves v11, Win 10, Reason 10.4. Never had any issues with Waves Central installer.
Waves GTR.jpg
Waves GTR.jpg (574.5 KiB) Viewed 2750 times
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

arqui

09 Sep 2020

Boombastix wrote:
08 Sep 2020
I grabbed it just for the pedals, so I cannot comment too much on the amps.

ALL the pedals can be used inside the free Waves StudioRack, as individuals or in the pedals stomp sets of 2, 4, 6.

Now you can do Multiband stuff, I just made an acoustic gtr loop go from meh to WOW! using a Fuzz+Phazer for the lows, Chorus, auto-pan, auto wah in the mid, Rev Delay + Reverb for the high, the Rev Dly does a +1 oct pitch on the delays for a cool shimmery top, and the whole sound has a grungy bottom, shimmery top with a supercool funky wah effect in the middle.

You barely make that with $200 worth of plugins - so together with StudioRack - it is a killer setup. Easy to just click and assign up to 8 macros. Automation heaven. You can do FX on just L or R, Mid, or Side, or both L+R as well, say you want to do a slow chorus on L and a fast chours on R, there is just sooo much. And it is fast and easy to do, no need to drag in mixers or connect wires, fast to change routing and try something new. Started with 2-band but want a 4-band split, click - done.... easy.

I will probably soon grab the new Kaleidoscopes to get those cool modulation methods that act on transients etc.

I use only Waves v11, Win 10, Reason 10.4. Never had any issues with Waves Central installer.

Waves GTR.jpg
Thank you very much!!!
(Waves central) a few years ago I found it a bit annoying, using PC resources, maybe now it changed ... thanks for your comments, then I'll go for this ...
regards
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

Lov2sing

09 Sep 2020

Waves make great plugins but the update cost from year to year becomes expensive. IMO You are renting their plugins instead of buying them.

A better guitar plug-in comes from IK multimedia. The tones of the amps are more real sounding. Yet I wish Line6 worked in Reason.
We make music for a reason

danc

09 Sep 2020

Lov2sing wrote:
09 Sep 2020
Waves make great plugins but the update cost from year to year becomes expensive. IMO You are renting their plugins instead of buying them.

A better guitar plug-in comes from IK multimedia. The tones of the amps are more real sounding. Yet I wish Line6 worked in Reason.
You don''t have to update. They very rarely improve their plugins... except for a lick of new UI every ten years.. or make it compatible with some container VST they launch (like Studio Rack).

I've never had problems with Waves VSTs that I haven't paid to update. They just carry on working forever more. No doubt I'll be forced sometime in the future (say if Windows 12 breaks them or something) but it hasn't happened yet.

Whereas - although true the IK VSTs might be better... you then have the headache of their soooo OTT installer.
Check my Soundcloud:

Goriila Texas

10 Sep 2020

Maybe because you're using the same computer idk I never had problems on my old laptop but here I am with my new desktop and it's a PITA trying to install v10 plugins to the point I'm ready to say fck it and move on without them. I rarely use them anyway. I paid for them and wanted them on my new computer but Waves makes the sh.. so hard imo to make you upgrade out of frustration.

danc wrote:
09 Sep 2020
Lov2sing wrote:
09 Sep 2020

You don''t have to update. They very rarely improve their plugins... except for a lick of new UI every ten years.. or make it compatible with some container VST they launch (like Studio Rack).

I've never had problems with Waves VSTs that I haven't paid to update. They just carry on working forever more. No doubt I'll be forced sometime in the future (say if Windows 12 breaks them or something) but it hasn't happened yet.

Whereas - although true the IK VSTs might be better... you then have the headache of their soooo OTT installer.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2020

Goriila Texas wrote:
10 Sep 2020
Maybe because you're using the same computer idk I never had problems on my old laptop but here I am with my new desktop and it's a PITA trying to install v10 plugins to the point I'm ready to say fck it and move on without them. I rarely use them anyway. I paid for them and wanted them on my new computer but Waves makes the sh.. so hard imo to make you upgrade out of frustration.
Done this?

https://www.waves.com/support/how-to-in ... 0activated.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Goriila Texas

10 Sep 2020

I tried that all day and got frustrated with it but after seeing your comment I tried one more time and got it to finally work. They're a few steps that they don't mention. One that I remember is clicking disconnected devices in license area. You won't see any plugins until you click that. I was clicking the cloud and nothing was showing up but berserk that's v11. The whole process imo is complete BS.

Boombastix wrote:
10 Sep 2020
Goriila Texas wrote:
10 Sep 2020
Done this?

https://www.waves.com/support/how-to-in ... 0activated.

dpcoffin

11 Sep 2020

The Waves stomp-boxes are kinda fun, but definitely replaceable with more interesting options as well (my choices are Guitar Rig and BiasFX). I never use the amp sims, nor their PRS emulations. For amp tones I much prefer the ones from Plugin Alliance (all bought during sales) (Fuchs, Deizel, Mega-Dual), Nembrini, and esp the Abasi one from Neural. Hell, even the Kuassa stuff I've tried (chiefly the Vox emulation) is better than any Waves "amp" thing I've tried.

This bundle from Overloud is great, too, IMO.

Fwiw, I'm not personally into metal tones, even tho most of the stuff I've recommended above can definitely go there. I'm more into "hot" super-clean and over-driven-clean (think 70's Boogies and Fenders), which in my experience is harder/rarer to do well than super-gain metal, no matter how fussy about minutia metal-heads seem to be:)

hurricane
Competition Winner

11 Sep 2020

dpcoffin wrote:
11 Sep 2020
The Waves stomp-boxes are kinda fun, but definitely replaceable with more interesting options as well (my choices are Guitar Rig and BiasFX). I never use the amp sims, nor their PRS emulations.
The PRS plugins are my favorite right now, and after trying out everything in Guitar Rig (GR is ok), and all of Amplitube Max (this is my 2nd favorite), I keep coming back to PRS because it just has *that* sound. And I was happy to see that Waves and Paul Reed Smith got anal with the emulations:

"Modeling requires serious dedication from our collaborators, because the modeling process takes months—in extreme cases even years—and there’s an immense amount of back-and-forth involved. With the PRS Supermodels guitar amp sims, to pick just one example, it wasn’t just a case of our obtaining an amp, coming up with a plugin model, presenting it to Paul Reed Smith, and having him “bless” it. Paul was involved every step of the way, monitoring our progress, and offering exacting feedback and critique."

Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

mtbh

12 Sep 2020

I have it, not to impressed. If do not have S-Gear from Scuffham amps, I would say get that one first. With some extra IR you can get just about any guitar sound out of that one. Highly recommended.

• Information