iZotope Neutron 3 external sidechain

Discuss VST stuff here!
BigActionGambla

09 Sep 2020

Has anyone had any luck routing the Neutron 3 external sidechain dynamic EQ processing in Reason 11?
Since upgrading from R10 to R11, I can't get this to work. I've tried going from Parallel Out to Dynamics In, from Insert FX Out to Neutron Optional Audio In, from Neutron Optional Audio Out to Neutron Optional Audio In, and every combination thereof to wire the sidechain trigger track to the track to be ducked.

Neutron Support recommended going from the Insert FX "to device" on the trigger track to the "Optional Audio In" on the Neutron plugin on the track you want it to duck. But even with that setup, the dynamic EQ reacts only to its own audio and not to the sidechain trigger. Yes I have "Ext" activated. Neutron was even nice enough to make a video on how to route it this way, but they cut it off before they show it actually working. They even sent me a Reason file with their wiring and, lo and behold, it does not work. I even find their technique wonky because you'd have to use a Spider or something to route the trigger audio back to its own mix channel if you'd want to actually hear it.

Anyway, if anyone has any advice on how to better work the sidechain dynamic EQ in Neutron with Reason 11, I'd be greatly appreciative.

MattLeschuck

09 Sep 2020

There are very few VSTs that i can actually get to work with sidechain in Reason. Unfortunately Izotope isnt one of them. The most reliable has been Kilohearts for me. Also with Blue Cat audio patchwork i can get both Waves F6 and Toneboosters EQ4 to work in Dynamic mode (using them as an AU plugin). However, Izotope still doesn't work within it.

PhillipOrdonez

09 Sep 2020

I have never had any problems with sidechaining in Reason. I'm going to fire up Reason right now and test again. Brb.

PhillipOrdonez

09 Sep 2020

Works a treat on the only thing I ever use it with: the EQ. Strangely, it is not working with the compressor. πŸ€” Cannot tell you if it worked with the compressor on Reason 10, cause I never used the neutron compressor with sidechaining there, only the EQ 😱

Both neutron standalone EQ vst and the EQ inside the neutron vst with with external side chain without any issues. Plug into the optional audio in 3, 4, then on the plugin select dynamic, sidechain, ext. Turn the band down and watch it react to the external source 😎

MattLeschuck

09 Sep 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote: ↑
09 Sep 2020
Works a treat on the only thing I ever use it with: the EQ. Strangely, it is not working with the compressor. πŸ€” Cannot tell you if it worked with the compressor on Reason 10, cause I never used the neutron compressor with sidechaining there, only the EQ 😱

Both neutron standalone EQ vst and the EQ inside the neutron vst with with external side chain without any issues. Plug into the optional audio in 3, 4, then on the plugin select dynamic, sidechain, ext. Turn the band down and watch it react to the external source 😎
I just tested again and can not get side chain to work with Neutron 3 eq in Reason 11. Im not sure what you are doing to get it to work, but i have tried everything. There is no signal getting in when i engage dynamic mode.

PhillipOrdonez

09 Sep 2020

MattLeschuck wrote: ↑
09 Sep 2020
09 Sep 2020

I just tested again and can not get side chain to work with Neutron 3 eq in Reason 11. Im not sure what you are doing to get it to work, but i have tried everything. There is no signal getting in when i engage dynamic mode.
I'm not sure what you're doing to not get it to work πŸ€”

Are you sure the signal coming in has any audio? Does it have enough level? How are you sending the signal to the plugin?

MattLeschuck

09 Sep 2020

09 Sep 2020
09 Sep 2020

I use dynamic EQ and side chain compression a lot so i am familiar with it. Im using Redrum with a kick directly routed into the audio 3 and 4 in on Neutron 3 EQ. I engage dynamic mode, and set it to external. I pull down the threshold and get no reduction. I don't even get signal hitting the dynamic meter.

PhillipOrdonez

09 Sep 2020

09 Sep 2020
09 Sep 2020

I use dynamic EQ and side chain compression a lot so i am familiar with it. Im using Redrum with a kick directly routed into the audio 3 and 4 in on Neutron 3 EQ. I engage dynamic mode, and set it to external. I pull down the threshold and get no reduction. I don't even get signal hitting the dynamic meter.
Do you turn down the band in question?

MattLeschuck

10 Sep 2020

09 Sep 2020
09 Sep 2020

Do you turn down the band in question?
I am unable to get a "sidechain" signal into Neutron. Pulling down the band has no bearing if no signal is coming in to trigger it. If i just want a dynamic eq applied to the synth w/o the side chain signal being the root of what causes the compression, it works as intended. It's only when sending an alternative signal (kick in my situation) to trigger Neutron it doesn't work.

stuk71

10 Sep 2020

I use Neutron EQ as a dynamic side chain often, so I set up this short video this morning in the hope that it may help.

All the best :reason:

(thanks goes to Adam Fielding for Bass, Kick and Shaker)

PhillipOrdonez

10 Sep 2020

stuk71 wrote: ↑
10 Sep 2020
I use Neutron EQ as a dynamic side chain often, so I set up this short video this morning in the hope that it may help.

That's what I do except the last step where you selected something from a drop down. It always works here πŸ€·β€β™‚οΈ

arqui

10 Sep 2020

It doesn't work for me either ... I do everything the same as what you show in the video and it doesn't get any signal from the sidechain .... I'm totally frustrated, I'm a recent Neutron buyer ....
I'm in windows 10
Thanks
Β  Β  Β  Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

MattLeschuck

10 Sep 2020

10 Sep 2020

This is exactly what i do and I don't get any signal coming in. So it looks like its not a reliable option for some. Im on a Mac and the latest version of Reason 11. Out of curiosity, are you using the latest version of Neutron 3? Im just trying to figure out what / if there is any difference here.

MattLeschuck

10 Sep 2020

A video showing it not working. I dont think i missed anything here.

arqui

10 Sep 2020

sidechain.jpg
sidechain.jpg (358.76 KiB) Viewed 5307 times
Same problem here... Windows 10 - Reason 11 suite - Neutros advanced v3.1.1.3409

MattLeschuck

10 Sep 2020

arqui wrote: ↑
10 Sep 2020
sidechain.jpgSame problem here... Windows 10 - Reason 11 suite - Neutros advanced v3.1.1.3409
Though it doesn't fix the frustration of owning Neutron 3 and it not working, if you are looking for a solid Dynamic EQ VST to use within Reason and have it work correctly, check out the free version of Tokyo Dawn Labs Nova if you haven't already .

arqui

10 Sep 2020

10 Sep 2020
10 Sep 2020
sidechain.jpgSame problem here... Windows 10 - Reason 11 suite - Neutros advanced v3.1.1.3409
Though it doesn't fix the frustration of owning Neutron 3 and it not working, if you are looking for a solid Dynamic EQ VST to use within Reason and have it work correctly, check out the free version of Tokyo Dawn Labs Nova if you haven't already .
of course, I'm very very very frustrated... recently sen to iZotope suport this issue, wainting for the fix... thanks now i download and test it ....
regards

PhillipOrdonez

10 Sep 2020

Reason suite, neutron 3 advanced latest version, Windows 10 here... πŸ€”

stuk71

10 Sep 2020

Reason 11 MacOS Catalina
Neutron 3 advanced (up to date using the izotope portal)
The EQ i used in the video is the stand alone version without the Neutron mothership.

Watching the video above with it not working... the only thing I can see different is that the guy is not playing anything on the Europa?

There is no signal coming into the EQ to duck?

Maybe I’m missing something now :ugeek:
Last edited by stuk71 on 10 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.

arqui

10 Sep 2020

10 Sep 2020
10 Sep 2020
TDR Nova work perfect....
Regards and thanks...

stuk71

10 Sep 2020

Just tried the very same set up as the guy in the video of it not working... for me it works :!:

No keys playing and Reason transport is stopped

arqui

10 Sep 2020

10 Sep 2020
Just tried the very same set up as the guy in the video of it not working... for me it works :!:

No keys playing and Reason transport is stopped

everything is very strange, some work and others don't ... will it be something of the general configuration?

PD: the video are private!!! not seen

BigActionGambla

10 Sep 2020

I just tried a configuration that I used to use on Reason 10, as recommended by a Reddit user. I sent him my Reason file. It works perfectly on his Windows 10 machine with Reason 11 and Neutron 3 Adv. I have Reason 11, Neutron 3 Adv, on Mojave and it doesn't work. The Sidechain behaves as it would as if it were set to Internal, even when set to External.

My conclusion is that it works for some people and not others. So bizarre, I wonder what it could be.

Here is the link to the drive folder with the Reason file in question. Also made a video of it NOT working on my machine (sorry no sound!)

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

MattLeschuck

10 Sep 2020

10 Sep 2020
Reason 11 MacOS Catalina
The EQ i used in the video is the stand alone version without the Neutron mothership.

Watching the video above with it not working... the only thing I can see different is that the guy is not playing anything on the Europa?

It's a side chain signal (external source, not internal). I shouldn't have to play anything (in this case on Europa) for the EQ to duck. Im sending a kick into the EQ. If i wanted to use standard dynamic eq w/o an external side chain source, then id have to play something on Europa to get a signal to trigger the compression. Here is an example on how it "should" work. Nothing is being played on Europa here.

stuk71

10 Sep 2020

10 Sep 2020
10 Sep 2020
Reason 11 MacOS Catalina

It's a side chain signal (external source, not internal). I shouldn't have to play anything (in this case on Europa) for the EQ to duck. Im sending a kick into the EQ. If i wanted to use standard dynamic eq w/o an external side chain source, then id have to play something on Europa to get a signal to trigger the compression. Here is an example on how it "should" work. Nothing is being played on Europa here.

Sorry, I didn’t realise it was your video that you had uploaded.

This is very strange how it seems to work for some and not others.

I think the only way we can be sure is by swapping Reason files? Swap a working file and see how it runs on other machines?

• Information