Everyone is giving stuff away for free lately to get you into their ecosystem!! Am I the only one here without a Waves

Discuss VST stuff here!
stratatonic

09 Sep 2020

I feel like I'm the only one on this planet with no Waves products installed.

(Though I do have an IK Multimedia or two from years ago...)

(And I did get a free Reason 11 Lite recently as well... ;) )

guitfnky

09 Sep 2020

Waves makes some really good plugins. most of what I have so far is geared toward emulating old hardware (Redd console and API EQs are awesome), but they’ve got some really useful more modern-style stuff too. Sibilance is the best plugin de-esser I’ve found, Vitamin is super-useful, and the H Comp, which I somehow got free a year or so ago, sounds great.

nothing wrong with offering something free to get people familiar with your plugins/quality. I have a couple of free Valhalla plugins that are amazing and I’m looking forward to giving them money soon for one of their reverbs.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Boombastix
Competition Winner

09 Sep 2020

It is about cherry picking, and much of the old stuff is nothing to invest in, and I'm not a fan of the "famous mixer guys name" on a multi fx.
But they got plenty of stuff that I like.
The free Studio Rack (obviously)
GTR3 pedals
RBass
RVox
F6 (dynamic EQ)
Abby Saturator (it has a compander, nuff said)
Abbey Studio 3 (a better NX mixroom) (if you mix with headphones)
Maxx Volume

If you really want to build your multi and mid/side FX chains in the free Rack then perhaps a reverb and a compressor is useful, such as H-comp, H-verb.

H-comp is given as a freebie from time to time.
Same with Bezerk, a really cool distortion.

I also like Ovox, Reel ADT, Tune Real Time, but they are more specialized. The new Kaleidoscopes sounds nice and has interesting modulation. I'm pretty sure I'll grab it, just need to find time to test it. You can test anything for 7d.

Once you go multiband it is hard to go back, the Studio Rack let's you try stuff so fast. Chorus on Sides, distortion in Mid, wait, let's try Chorus on L and Phaser on R, bam done. I cannot imagine wiring stuff like that in a Combinator, too time consuming in comparison.

Oddly enough there isn't much talk about the synths but Codex and also Element are great value for 29-34. Lots of presets.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

dvdrtldg

10 Sep 2020

I like Waves for basic meat & potatoes type mix tools. I don't particularly care if their Abbey Road REDD console plugins are faithfully modeled on the Abbey Road REDD consoles, I just like that they sound great (as do all the Waves Abbey Road plugins). Plus there are some great compressors, F6 dynamic EQ is a gem, NLS is a fantastic way of getting some gentle grit into your mixes, and on it goes. None of them give me the creative pleasure of the Reason environment, but for basic jobs and ease of use they're hard to beat

I can understand not wanting to be bothered with the Waves Central installer, and not wanting anything to do with the Waves update plan. Fine. But jesus, the way people carry on about Waves sometimes, you'd think they were a cabal of baby-eating Satanists

moneykube

10 Sep 2020

stratatonic wrote:
09 Sep 2020
I feel like I'm the only one on this planet with no Waves products installed.

(Though I do have an IK Multimedia or two from years ago...)

(And I did get a free Reason 11 Lite recently as well... ;) )
I have no waves installed ... so you are not the only one :thumbs_up: USED THEM EXCLUSIVELY when I worked in a sound few sound studios here in the past. I actually have all the effects I need without waves or waves central... they are awesome plugins but I spent years using them... and now look for different flavours :puf_smile: man spell check curses me so.... :exclamation:
Last edited by moneykube on 10 Sep 2020, edited 3 times in total.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Sep 2020

Nope. Never. Never ever. No!!!
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MannequinRaces

10 Sep 2020

Zero for me and I have no intention of getting any. The less VST licenses / accounts / passwords I have to keep track of the better. Am I missing out on some great plugs... maybe, but I don’t care.

stratatonic

12 Sep 2020

guitfnky wrote:
09 Sep 2020

nothing wrong with offering something free to get people familiar with your plugins/quality. I have a couple of free Valhalla plugins that are amazing and I’m looking forward to giving them money soon for one of their reverbs.
Sure, there are a couple of freebies. Valhalla** also has a good demo policy as well with all their plugs. They do an audio dropout every 40-45 seconds for a second or two. Fully featured otherwise. Most devs do that. A freebie or two and demoes as well.
There are no big central installers. Some are just in your face more than others.

**Valhalla Delay is aazingm.
dvdrtldg wrote:
10 Sep 2020
I can understand not wanting to be bothered with the Waves Central installer, and not wanting anything to do with the Waves update plan. Fine. But jesus, the way people carry on about Waves sometimes, you'd think they were a cabal of baby-eating Satanists
Are you calling me a baby-eating Satanist? :lol:
I just prefer plugs with a simple registration code to authorize. I wouldn't have a problem with Central Installers, but all the plugs that I've had massive problems with in the past had their own version of a Central Installer - IK, Native Instruments, Line 6...and just running around in circles trying to get shit to work, when something invariably goes wrong.

But it seems that for every screaming anti-Waves baby-eating satanist out there, there is also a soothing calm balm pro-Waves supporter that posts the opposite - and nothing ever goes wrong in their Waves nirvana.
I filter out the noise anyways. I don't own a billion plugs. And I can't be bothered chasing freebies all the time just because they are free.

Boombastix wrote:
09 Sep 2020

But they got plenty of stuff that I like.
The free Studio Rack (obviously)
GTR3 pedals
RBass
RVox
F6 (dynamic EQ)
Abby Saturator (it has a compander, nuff said)
Abbey Studio 3 (a better NX mixroom) (if you mix with headphones)
Maxx Volume
... ...

You own a lot of Waves stuff. Does your 10% thing work on sale prices as well?

Boombastix
Competition Winner

12 Sep 2020

stratatonic wrote:
12 Sep 2020
You own a lot of Waves stuff. Does your 10% thing work on sale prices as well?
It should. What I have done sometimes is pick two plugins when they go down to $29 ea, at a time you can pick up two more for free. So that is then $15 ea, and I am happy to have F6 for $15 when many others buy Pro Q for around $125 on sale, as an example. But I do not buy stuff just because it is cheap. The Abbey stuff and Waves Tune are usually in the $35-40 range, but pretty much everything else drops down to 29, and recently some even to 23-ish. Make sure you grab the free StudioRack so you can do multiband stuff, it is remarkable how good that is.

MattLeschuck

15 Sep 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
10 Sep 2020
I like Waves for basic meat & potatoes type mix tools. I don't particularly care if their Abbey Road REDD console plugins are faithfully modeled on the Abbey Road REDD consoles, I just like that they sound great (as do all the Waves Abbey Road plugins). Plus there are some great compressors, F6 dynamic EQ is a gem, NLS is a fantastic way of getting some gentle grit into your mixes, and on it goes. None of them give me the creative pleasure of the Reason environment, but for basic jobs and ease of use they're hard to beat

Couldn't of said it better IMO. I have always looked at most Waves stuff as simple, quality, utility style plugins. Both F6 and NLS are fantastic. Not to mention RComp to me is still one of the cleanest, best sounding comps. At $29, i haven't found an EQ within Reason that even comes close to F6. I have Synapse's GQ7 but F6 offers so much more that i never grab GQ7. Ill mention I also have TDR Nova GE, Toneboosters EQ4 and Neutron 3 advanced and still find myself grabbing F6 the most!

The only thing i really wish they would add are resizable GUI's.

AuroraNovalis

18 Sep 2020

I uninstalled my Waves freebies because their authorizer seemed to be doubling Reason's startup time.

• Information