New RE "Obsession"

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
SebAudio

13 Aug 2020

aeox wrote:
14 Jul 2020
manisnotabird wrote:
14 Jul 2020
While I'm at it, many of the patches are very loud and are clipping the master output. :(
Seconded!
A lot of clipping here too. Most of the time, clipping starts with the 2nd note. DSP meter is ok. I can make it disappear by lowering the volume but then I have to lower all the other tracks… Do I miss something ?

moneykube

15 Aug 2020

SebAudio wrote:
13 Aug 2020
aeox wrote:
14 Jul 2020

Seconded!
A lot of clipping here too. Most of the time, clipping starts with the 2nd note. DSP meter is ok. I can make it disappear by lowering the volume but then I have to lower all the other tracks… Do I miss something ?
hopefully an update with patches lowered in volume is in the works from this fine company... I don't want to have to REadjust many patches so they are not clipping !
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

dannyF

05 Sep 2020

It would be cool in the multi voice edit area to subtley randomise the settings per each voice. I think this has been mentioned before here or elsewhere. It would save a lot of time adding variation.

It could be based off the initial oscillator settings and perhaps there could be a "slop" option as well to control how much variation happens.

DJMaytag

07 Sep 2020

LOVE. ING. IT!!!

Did a subscription deal earlier today and threw it in a track to add an extra layer on a synth sound that needed something extra. Great sound and not modulation capabilities. The back side stuff is a little weird, but will get used to it soon enough.

littlejam

07 Sep 2020

hello,

this is a great synth

any word on the clipping issue?

would love to get that straightened out

synapse creates wonderful stuff

cheers,

j
littlejamaicastudios
i7 2.8ghz / 24GB ddr3 / Quadro 4000 x 2 / ProFire 610
reason 10 / reaper / acidpro /akai mpk mini / korg padkontrol / axiom 25 / radium 49
'i get by with a lot of help from my friends'

DJMaytag

14 Sep 2020

Turn the volume down. Way down. The loudness wars apply to synth presets too. They’re all programmed to be pushing 0dBFS.

Loque

14 Sep 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
14 Sep 2020
Turn the volume down. Way down. The loudness wars apply to synth presets too. They’re all programmed to be pushing 0dBFS.
Thats pretty normal in VST world. They like it loud and just put in a limiter at the end for compensation. Only Reason users like it -12dbs.
Reason12, Win10

miscend

17 Sep 2020

I thought a certain volume level was a requirement for the shop? Antidote for example doesn't have overly loud patches.

ravasb

18 Sep 2020

Just curious how many of the early buyers of this still really like it?

sQeetz

20 Sep 2020

Damn.... I took the survey and forgot to write down the 15% discount code.
I wanted to buy Obsession with it... hmmmpf

diminished
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2020

sQeetz wrote:
20 Sep 2020
you can only use it for Reason Studios products anyways..
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

sQeetz

20 Sep 2020

diminished wrote:
20 Sep 2020
sQeetz wrote:
20 Sep 2020
you can only use it for Reason Studios products anyways..
Oh...ok. thx for the info. Don't need to worry about that, then... :|

[edit] bought the VST version. Outstanding synth. Really nice

chaosroyale

20 Sep 2020

I demo'd it pretty thoroughly and ended up not buying it, but not because it is bad.

It is excellent. The best "80's poly synth" VST you can buy, and not expensive. However, if you are a good programmer and have a bunch of other old-school analog VSTs, you will probably be able to get most of the same results. It is also not a general-purpose synth. So, for someone who really needs but doesn't have that fat polysynth mojo, yes I recommend it, but for me it would mean installing a whole new synth for a very few cases where I couldn't get the sound another way. If you are specifically looking for this kind of synth though, it's great.
ravasb wrote:
18 Sep 2020
Just curious how many of the early buyers of this still really like it?

raymondh

20 Sep 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
20 Sep 2020
However, if you are a good programmer and have a bunch of other old-school analog VSTs, you will probably be able to get most of the same results.
It really is excellent. It is unique though, I don't think it is possible to replicate with other VST synths.

The whole point of vintage emulations is to recreate the character of the original synths. The sound (oscillators+filters+built-in effects+audio circuit colourings), the dynamics (envelope curves), the modulations (from LFOs, and Osc-Osc sync etc) and the quirks (often unintentional, sometimes annoying, but gave the synth character).

You can try to make a Prophet 5 sound like a Jupiter 8 or vice versa but they will almost always give themselves away.

This synth recreates the Oberheim character really well. And with the per-voice variations, it does the analog randomness super well. It sound very different to Repro-5, the various Arturia emulations etc. Sometimes it can sound a little closer to The Legend than it should, but I try to ignore that :)

You could get close with Diva with the OB modules, but Diva doesn't have the Shimmer reverb and the same level of tweakability as Obsession

Yes Obsession is no swiss army knife - the filter and envelope behaviour has certain behaviour, which is not ideal all the time.

I'm using this synth a lot in my tracks! Really warm, wide, organic sounding.

chaosroyale

20 Sep 2020

For sure, if someone needs that Oberheim sound, this is the one to get.

I certainly don't mean to say it is possible to replicate exactly, but that usually isn't necessary to get a sound which fits the same role in a track and is equally good, even though each sound may be a tiny bit different..

If covid had not hit the economy so hard, maybe I would have bought it anyway, because it really is a great synth. Maybe when things start looking up.
raymondh wrote:
20 Sep 2020
chaosroyale wrote:
20 Sep 2020
However, if you are a good programmer and have a bunch of other old-school analog VSTs, you will probably be able to get most of the same results.
It really is excellent. It is unique though, I don't think it is possible to replicate with other VST synths.

The whole point of vintage emulations is to recreate the character of the original synths. The sound (oscillators+filters+built-in effects+audio circuit colourings), the dynamics (envelope curves), the modulations (from LFOs, and Osc-Osc sync etc) and the quirks (often unintentional, sometimes annoying, but gave the synth character).

You can try to make a Prophet 5 sound like a Jupiter 8 or vice versa but they will almost always give themselves away.

This synth recreates the Oberheim character really well. And with the per-voice variations, it does the analog randomness super well. It sound very different to Repro-5, the various Arturia emulations etc. Sometimes it can sound a little closer to The Legend than it should, but I try to ignore that :)

You could get close with Diva with the OB modules, but Diva doesn't have the Shimmer reverb and the same level of tweakability as Obsession

Yes Obsession is no swiss army knife - the filter and envelope behaviour has certain behaviour, which is not ideal all the time.

I'm using this synth a lot in my tracks! Really warm, wide, organic sounding.

polysix

21 Sep 2020

Is there a chance that a user creates a remote map file for the nektar p series? It will be a dream to create sounds of obsession direkt on my controller 😁

lou109

03 Aug 2023

The Rack Extension version of Obsession does not include a line tool for modulation shaping. The VST version does. I found this when i did tutorial. Is there any way around this or do i need to make a request to Synapse for this to be included in the next update ?

madmacman

04 Aug 2023

lou109 wrote:
03 Aug 2023
or do i need to make a request to Synapse for this to be included in the next update ?
I think it has to do with the features the RE SDK provides. Probably it's currently impossible to implement.

dmitrijsorokin

04 Aug 2023

lou109 wrote:
03 Aug 2023
or do i need to make a request to Synapse for this to be included in the next update ?
https://www.synapse-audio.com/contactus.html

Popey
Competition Winner

04 Aug 2023

Not sure if they still do free vst versions for re owners but if you are happy to use vst you could ask if they still do this and if so grab that version.

Am I right in also thinking the re does not have the genetics section too?

I have dune 3 and the genetics are a great way to create new sounds from your existing patches.

• Information