'SEQUENCES' by Robotic Bean...the sequencer I've always dreamed of.

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
m.arthur

03 Dec 2019

No, Robotic Bean is not paying for this post, but I just had to come here to say: this is the sequencer I always wanted in Reason, and I'm so glad Robotic Bean exists and made it for me.

I'm a bit late to the party, having only discovered it last week!

But now I couldn't be happier. The interface is awesome, the functionality exactly what I need: step-input recording with easy editing, all done in the rack!

It's long been an interest of mine to create Reason songs where the ONLY thing in the entire Arrangement area is pattern automation and parameter automation. I was trying to do this with just the drum sequencer, redrum's sequencer, and the Matrix. But the Matrix is just too damn primitive; I needed more control. Props' released stuff like PolyStep Sequencer, which just doesn't quite gel with my workflow. But with SEQUENCES, I can quickly record patterns into my instruments (in the rack), then automate the pattern changes along with my various drum machines (again, just redrum with pattern automation or kong with the Drum Sequencer, etc) and Voila -- my dream come true, entire songs built from just pattern automation and all the actual sequencing contained inside the rack. Yet I can map out the pattern changes in the arrangement, as well as write in parameter automation.

I realize it's just a quirk of my tastes and interests that I want to work this way, but man am I happy I can finally do it the way I've always wanted to. I'll never touch a Matrix again :) (well, I might drop one in for simple triggering or CV tasks; but not for note sequencing anymore).

So, in sum: THANK YOU ROBOTIC BEAN FOR 'SEQUENCES' - easily my favorite non-instrument Reason device ever!

*Of course, the one last thing I REALLY WANT is something Robotic Bean cant help with -- only Reason Studios can do the RIGHT thing and finally, finally, FINALLY make all devices with Patterns allow pattern triggering from other devices. I want to 'step through' my patterns in Players via a tempo-sync'd Pulsar, for example. There's any number of great possibilities for triggering Pattern changes without ever leaving the Rack, and yet, we can't do it! What the hell? For a 'fully modular' program, this is, imho, a baffling omission. C'mon Props / RS! Let's go fully modular in the rack and trigger our patterns with, well, Anything!!

cheers,
-Michael

Jmax

03 Dec 2019

Too bad it wasn't on sale.

EnochLight

03 Dec 2019

Since Sequences 1.2 dropped, it's been on my radar - I'm very tempted to buy it. But since the Bean didn't put it on sale during Black Friday, I passed. Will have to wait and see if he does a sale next year - I'll probably bite then. But... does he ever even do sales? Sequences originally came out in May 2019, so I thought for sure he'd do a Black Friday sale (having been 6 months since launch).
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

m.arthur

03 Dec 2019

EnochLight wrote:
03 Dec 2019
Since Sequences 1.2 dropped, it's been on my radar - I'm very tempted to buy it. But since the Bean didn't put it on sale during Black Friday, I passed. Will have to wait and see if he does a sale next year - I'll probably bite then. But... does he ever even do sales? Sequences originally came out in May 2019, so I thought for sure he'd do a Black Friday sale (having been 6 months since launch).
He had pretty minimal discounts (like 20% off max I think?) on his older REs. It is too bad Sequences didn't get any discount, sounds like it could have attracted some new users if it had...

all that said, it's well worth the 69 bucks.

buddard
RE Developer

03 Dec 2019

m.arthur wrote:
03 Dec 2019
No, Robotic Bean is not paying for this post, but I just had to come here to say: this is the sequencer I always wanted in Reason, and I'm so glad Robotic Bean exists and made it for me.
Thanks a lot for the kind words! :oops:

(I'll leave the wad of bills inside the old oak tree like last time)
m.arthur wrote:
03 Dec 2019
*Of course, the one last thing I REALLY WANT is something Robotic Bean cant help with -- only Reason Studios can do the RIGHT thing and finally, finally, FINALLY make all devices with Patterns allow pattern triggering from other devices. I want to 'step through' my patterns in Players via a tempo-sync'd Pulsar, for example. There's any number of great possibilities for triggering Pattern changes without ever leaving the Rack, and yet, we can't do it! What the hell? For a 'fully modular' program, this is, imho, a baffling omission. C'mon Props / RS! Let's go fully modular in the rack and trigger our patterns with, well, Anything!!
Well, there is a way to do it!

If Sequences is inside a Combinator, then you can map one of the Combis CV inputs (or rotaries) to the Pattern Select target on Sequences.
So yes, using this workaround you can switch patterns using Pulsar. :puf_smile:

m.arthur

03 Dec 2019

buddard wrote:
03 Dec 2019

If Sequences is inside a Combinator, then you can map one of the Combis CV inputs (or rotaries) to the Pattern Select target on Sequences.
Oh wow, that's fantastic. I had no idea. I can't test this out at the moment but I absolutely will dig into this tonight, thank you!

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

03 Dec 2019

m.arthur wrote:
03 Dec 2019
buddard wrote:
03 Dec 2019

Oh wow, that's fantastic. I had no idea. I can't test this out at the moment but I absolutely will dig into this tonight, thank you!
You may find this helpful.... You can apply it to other player devices with a select pattern.

The PoohBear...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tips & Tutorial's viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7503909
PoohBears Reason Channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqCNsA ... p4cQF4j-8A
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My Soundcloud Page ....... Nektar Mappings

m.arthur

03 Dec 2019

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
03 Dec 2019

You may find this helpful.... You can apply it to other player devices with a select pattern.

The PoohBear...
Ah, this is awesome, thanks!

-Michael

kinkujin

04 Dec 2019

I'd probably jump on this if it were rent-to-own.

max|waves

08 Dec 2019

Robotic Beans, please... please... Racheting on the next update!
Please! :)
Thx!

m.arthur

08 Dec 2019

max|waves wrote:
08 Dec 2019
Robotic Beans, please... please... Racheting on the next update!
Please! :)
Thx!
+1 that would be fantastic indeed.

DJMaytag

15 Jan 2020

+1 on this. Ive had it for a while now, but finally got around to really diving into it, and I'm really enjoying it.

groggy1

07 Sep 2020

Just wanted to give my praise to Sequences. Like m.arthur, I’m late to the game :)

I didn’t realize you could record in real-time, I thought it was step record only. But tonight I turned the transport on and did real time recording. And once I had a pattern, I can transpose it via midi. Yayy!!

This Player is a life saver!

Jackjackdaw

07 Sep 2020

groggy1 wrote:
07 Sep 2020
Just wanted to give my praise to Sequences. Like m.arthur, I’m late to the game :)

I didn’t realize you could record in real-time, I thought it was step record only. But tonight I turned the transport on and did real time recording. And once I had a pattern, I can transpose it via midi. Yayy!!

You can also record from the main sequencer into Sequences. So if you want to play through your part a few times to get the best take or have a longer part split over different patterns then you can.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
07 Sep 2020
groggy1 wrote:
07 Sep 2020

You can also record from the main sequencer into Sequences. So if you want to play through your part a few times to get the best take or have a longer part split over different patterns then you can.
You can also record from any device that have CV Gate (and Note) out. I put "Note" in brackets as I record Ujam's drum machine that only has Gates out through the CV midi tap with Sequences under it and record it that way. Of course with a device that has Note and Gate CV out you can go via a combinator and record it that way.

deeplink
Competition Winner

07 Sep 2020

It's the closest thing we have to Albleton's clip launcher style - where we can have different polyphonic sequences, across all devices and running in sync.
It's great work around for sequencer.
Personally, I soley work on the rack devices together with RB Sequences - then I export the patterns to track for arrange - then I head to the mixer for mix downs.
3 Steps, 3 Windows :)
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

buddard
RE Developer

07 Sep 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
07 Sep 2020
Jackjackdaw wrote:
07 Sep 2020

You can also record from any device that have CV Gate (and Note) out. I put "Note" in brackets as I record Ujam's drum machine that only has Gates out through the CV midi tap with Sequences under it and record it that way. Of course with a device that has Note and Gate CV out you can go via a combinator and record it that way.
CV Player Tap is also a super-easy (and free!) way to get CV/Gate into Sequences without having to use a combi! Especially handy if Sequencer itself is attached to a combi already. :puf_smile:

DJMaytag

07 Sep 2020

Loving this RE as well. The only thing that could make it better is more sequence slots! I’m assuming this is a limitation of Players though, right?

buddard
RE Developer

07 Sep 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
07 Sep 2020
Loving this RE as well. The only thing that could make it better is more sequence slots! I’m assuming this is a limitation of Players though, right?
Do you mean the 8 patterns?
Actually a Player can have up to 32 of them, but we chose to go for 8 patterns in Sequences so we would have enough room for one-click access to every pattern. :-)

DJMaytag

07 Sep 2020

buddard wrote:
07 Sep 2020
DJMaytag wrote:
07 Sep 2020
Do you mean the 8 patterns?
Actually a Player can have up to 32 of them, but we chose to go for 8 patterns in Sequences so we would have enough room for one-click access to every pattern. :-)
If you ever update it in a way to somehow allow access to all 32 patterns... I’d be ecstatic!

• Information