BLACK KNIGHT v2 - in the shop!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

02 Sep 2020

Hi to all on RT, we at Lab One have been grafting hard to get a well deserved update for Black Knight to version 2.

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... equalizer/

This version has:
3 views (Classic, Hybrid, Digital)
EQ plot display (Hybrid and Digital views)
Stereo FFT display with offset and slope controls (Hybrid and Digital views)
New input and output metering
V1 to V2 upgrade button (gain access to 6 filter types per band instead of 2 per band in v1) - fully compatible with loading older patches
Chromatic mode (so you can select by chromatic note for frequency - no more looking up tables!)
CV for all knob controls
New Saturation model (I = v1 saturation, II = new v2 saturation)
Hear EQ per band option
Hear EQ output sockets
160+ presets to get you going
Oversampling mode for analog filter shaping

Classic View

Hybrid View

Digital View

FFT view on, in Digital mode (also viewable in Hybrid mode)

Rear view

Oh and did we mention you can use your mouse to edit the EQ curve nodes, and modifiers to 'lock' specifc parameters :D
ALT+Click& drag = lock gain, adjust frequency
Shift+Click&drag = lock frequency, adjust gain
ALT+Shift+Click&drag = lock frequency and gain, adjust resonance
CTRL/Cmd+Click band node = reset gain to zero dB

Now you can use the display to hone in quickly on an area which you want to get inthe ballpark, then use the knobs for finer control (if required).

Took a while to get this right and we hope those who enjoy EQing their signal, we'll speak to RS to see if we can get the trials reset for those who want to take this for a new spin

Enjoy!
Fresha c/o Lab One Recordings
Last edited by LABONERECORDINGS on 02 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Mataya

02 Sep 2020

Seems like a great and useful update. Congratulations and good luck! Love your compressor and would like to hear how well you nailed the EQ.

tx
M

guitfnky

02 Sep 2020

wow, I always liked the look of the original, but these different themes/views look sharp. really nice work. 👍🏼 this is one I’d been meaning to check out for a long time, but for whatever reason never got around to. may have to give it a proper shot now.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Sterioevo

02 Sep 2020

Thankyou very much.
That looks superb.

Loque

02 Sep 2020

O. M. G. ! ! !
I never had expected to see any update to this little thing! It was my first RE! My first external LPF i used in Reason!

Great update, ty LAB:ONE! :thumbs_up:

The product page just only shows "Update" and not the price, but you need to pay 10 bucks for it, just to let you know. And to let Reason Studios know, that they still suck in creating a useful shop page!
Reason12, Win10

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

02 Sep 2020

Loque wrote:
02 Sep 2020
O. M. G. ! ! !
I never had expected to see any update to this little thing! It was my first RE! My first external LPF i used in Reason!

Great update, ty LAB:ONE! :thumbs_up: [/b]
We always wanted Black Knight to be in it's new form since we first designed it, the tech just wasn't available, but now Reason 10+ users can get this update. We're in the progress of a new video showcasing the new features. Plenty going on with this one :D

estuary

02 Sep 2020

Good job ! I might update to the new version
Looking forward to see the video.

fieldframe
RE Developer

02 Sep 2020

Lab:One continues to have some of the highest production values in the shop, and the three-way UI is a brilliant solution for an EQ Rack Extension. I love that this both looks like it belongs in the rack, yet would also not be mistaken for a Reason Studios product because it has a definite Lab:One aesthetic.

Jagwah

03 Sep 2020

This update is off the damn charts, so slick looking and switching between the views is so smooth, it's also surgical, everything about it is just ugh, just ugh!! Should be a go to EQ RE for everyone.

Congrats Lab One Recordings, I think you may have set a new standard for your products!

<3

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

03 Sep 2020

Jagwah wrote:
03 Sep 2020
This update is off the damn charts, so slick looking and switching between the views is so smooth, it's also surgical, everything about it is just ugh, just ugh!! Should be a go to EQ RE for everyone.

Congrats Lab One Recordings, I think you may have set a new standard for your products!

<3
Kind words than thanks everyone who likes what we've done to v2. We've also been learning how to train our ears with this version now with the Hear EQ function and we're getting closer to hearing differences in EQing down to 1dB difference (Hear EQ 'guides' your ears to what you should be hearing being added to the signal, then when you turn off HEAR EQ and then enable/disable the EQ band you just listened to, you can hear clearly what the EQ is doing, pretty neat!)

We're still checking on getting the trials reset for this too, so let us know if you aren't able to try v2

chaosroyale

03 Sep 2020

Yeah this is a great little device. I don't even use RE's any more and I still bought the update. Basically this does everything the native rack EQ should. The "Hybrid view" is really great when you get used to it.

Finally a decent general-purpose EQ for the rack!!!! At a great price too.

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
03 Sep 2020
Jagwah wrote:
03 Sep 2020

<3
Kind words than thanks everyone who likes what we've done to v2. We've also been learning how to train our ears with this version now with the Hear EQ function and we're getting closer to hearing differences in EQing down to 1dB difference (Hear EQ 'guides' your ears to what you should be hearing being added to the signal, then when you turn off HEAR EQ and then enable/disable the EQ band you just listened to, you can hear clearly what the EQ is doing, pretty neat!)

We're still checking on getting the trials reset for this too, so let us know if you aren't able to try v2

Mmj85

04 Sep 2020

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
03 Sep 2020

I was not able to retrial V.2, looks like a well polished updated.

Breach The Sky

05 Sep 2020

Many winters past on a (probably) ominously cloudy day, a black knight without as much as a word (or any other sort of transaction, for that matter), deposited itself into my account. It's been there ever since, waiting..

... But seriously though, weird stuff. Something must have gone seriously wrong in the (at the time) Propshop back-end. Hasn't happened ever since..

rorystorm

05 Sep 2020

some thoughts
excellent device, logical and clear gui, sounds awesome. does what it says, on the actual box.
good presets too. I really like the acid groovebox combinator.
be useful to have a note to say that alt/shift to change resonance in the digital view only works if you are in V2 mode.... which is a minor quibble but it threw me for a second.
really good manual too

Nice work!

rorystorm

05 Sep 2020

oh, and I couldn't find the manual in the shop.

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

06 Sep 2020

rorystorm wrote:
05 Sep 2020
be useful to have a note to say that alt/shift to change resonance in the digital view only works if you are in V2 mode.... which is a minor quibble
We've just checked this, and ALT+SHIFT+click-node-drag-up-and-down works in both V1 and V2 modes. However you have to be in one of the two display-screen modes for this to work

Sidenote: we enjoyed making the demo acid house combinator too, just some ideas for how to create some loops on the fly for a performance, which may spark inspiration for your own productions.

dvdrtldg

06 Sep 2020

Seems to be a whole new device... no free upgrade for version 1 owners?

Not batch or complaining about it, just not sure what the story is

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

06 Sep 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
06 Sep 2020

We've spend a long time to develop version 2 to the stage it's at now, around 16 months due to workflow changes as well as making this device as efficient as possible with all the extra functionality we wanted v1 to have in the first place. It is not a whole new device, it is a large upgrade. V1 mode replicates Black Knight v1 with the addition of the FFT spectrum and 3 views. v2 allows further access (when you hit the ^ V1 ^ button in the meters display you activate a v2 mode) which opens up the filter choices for each band, instead of just the two types. Reason for this is to make sure of backwards compatibility. We've also added in oversampling in both v1 and v2 modes, so that's a plus, and CVs are now assigned to every knob (input / output was excluded in v1, main down to space on the back).

Hear EQ extra audio sockets also added so you have a second output pair which send out the difference from dry and final eq'd signal, so for a more creative approach (again v1 never had because of screen space).

The GUI has been overhauled fully, and this took time as well as investing in other 3rd party software to develop the GUI to make it have the 'real' look it does today. v1 was ok, but we always wanted to take V2 to this level of standard and detail.

The upgrade price + original v1 price total value matches a new user buying v2, so both old and new users pay for v2 at the same value (actually v1 to v2 get it $1 cheaper due to the pricing tiers)

This is so that all users / customers are treated fairly, as there is a large userbase who have already purchase v1 Black Knight, and we appreciate the support over the years.

Hope this makes things a bit clearer to the pricing of Black Knight v2

Loque

06 Sep 2020

10 bucks for such a big update? Pfft. Not worth the discussion. Already updated.
Reason12, Win10

dvdrtldg

06 Sep 2020

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
06 Sep 2020
dvdrtldg wrote:
06 Sep 2020

We've spend a long time to develop version 2 to the stage it's at now, around 16 months due to workflow changes as well as making this device as efficient as possible with all the extra functionality we wanted v1 to have in the first place. It is not a whole new device, it is a large upgrade. V1 mode replicates Black Knight v1 with the addition of the FFT spectrum and 3 views. v2 allows further access (when you hit the ^ V1 ^ button in the meters display you activate a v2 mode) which opens up the filter choices for each band, instead of just the two types. Reason for this is to make sure of backwards compatibility. We've also added in oversampling in both v1 and v2 modes, so that's a plus, and CVs are now assigned to every knob (input / output was excluded in v1, main down to space on the back).

Hear EQ extra audio sockets also added so you have a second output pair which send out the difference from dry and final eq'd signal, so for a more creative approach (again v1 never had because of screen space).

The GUI has been overhauled fully, and this took time as well as investing in other 3rd party software to develop the GUI to make it have the 'real' look it does today. v1 was ok, but we always wanted to take V2 to this level of standard and detail.

The upgrade price + original v1 price total value matches a new user buying v2, so both old and new users pay for v2 at the same value (actually v1 to v2 get it $1 cheaper due to the pricing tiers)

This is so that all users / customers are treated fairly, as there is a large userbase who have already purchase v1 Black Knight, and we appreciate the support over the years.

Hope this makes things a bit clearer to the pricing of Black Knight v2
Got it, thanks. Will upgrade, it looks great

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

07 Sep 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
06 Sep 2020
Got it, thanks. Will upgrade, it looks great
No problem at all, we wanted to be as transparent about the pricing too, and many thanks for the support!

Noise
Competition Winner

14 Sep 2020

Hello Lab:one,

Are you planning to upgrade the Req131 with the audio frequency preview ?

thanks!
Albums: BandCamp | Youtubz: Noise Channel
Projects: P1 Easy Remote Mapping | Personal Refill Sale Store: https://payhip.com/noisesystems | Title Generator! untitled.noiseshadow.com

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

14 Sep 2020

Noise wrote:
14 Sep 2020

thanks!
We're looking into this as well yes, as well as improve the DSP load :D got to round up the code monkeys though since they took the time they deserve a short break

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Sep 2020

LABONERECORDINGS wrote:
14 Sep 2020
Noise wrote:
14 Sep 2020

thanks!
We're looking into this as well yes, as well as improve the DSP load :D got to round up the code monkeys though since they took the time they deserve a short break
So...will that be a v.2.5 or a v.3?
I really like Req131. Had it since day one.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

LABONERECORDINGS
RE Developer

15 Sep 2020

We're aiming forit to be a v2.5 version

• Information