The Peter Jubel Appreciation Thread

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Andy
Competition Winner

27 Sep 2017

Mattias said something about Europa being something coming from the brain of Peter Jubel with help of the Props team. It got me thinking. Is this man one of the most underrated developers ever. When you look at all the stock instruments(except for Malstrom), FX, Time Stretch technology, not to mention his involvement with Nord at one point. Is there another plugin developer as prolific?

Hey Mattias how about an interview with Peter detailing his involvement with Reason over the years? I understand if he is a mad scientist who just want to be left alone to do mad scientist things. :)

Anyway thanks Peter.

miscend

27 Sep 2017

He programmed the first Nord Lead which is recognised as the father of modern VA synths. It was used all over 90’s Madonna records.

dioxide

27 Sep 2017

As well at the Nord Lead, the Subtractor was a landmark in synthesis, so I think he will be recognised as being a pioneer at a time when the technology was changing. Perhaps PH should push his name a bit more, assuming he doesn't mind of course.

BMFH

28 Sep 2017

Hi fellows,

How about a behind the scenes photo from PHQ? This is Peter's hand and all the left over coffee mugs found on his table this morning.

Enjoy! :puf_bigsmile:

EdGrip

28 Sep 2017

THAT'S why there's never any mugs in The Kitchen!

miscend

28 Sep 2017

EdGrip wrote:
28 Sep 2017
THAT'S why there's never any mugs in The Kitchen!

lol

Andy
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2017

BMFH wrote:
28 Sep 2017
Hi fellows,

How about a behind the scenes photo from PHQ? This is Peter's hand and all the left over coffee mugs found on his table this morning.

Cool but we need MORE. :puf_bigsmile: I get it some people would prefer to be behind the scenes though.

aeox
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2017

Oh wow, I use to drink that much coffee..

I also use to have crazy anxiety. Quitting coffee fixed that. Who would've known? :D
Last edited by aeox on 11 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

28 Sep 2017

aeox wrote:
28 Sep 2017
Oh wow, I use to drink that much coffee..

I also use to have crazy anxiety. Quitting coffee fixed that. Who would of known? :D
Recently quit caffeine cold turkey too. First week was hell. Now everything's pretty awesome.
Last edited by MattiasHG on 10 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.

sdst
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2017

very funny but drinking all that coffee in one day is very dangerous

I drink every day but only one cup
BMFH wrote:
28 Sep 2017
Hi fellows,

dioxide

28 Sep 2017

Either it takes a lot of coffee to make a synth like Europa or Peter is developing a Propellerhead version of Reactable using different coloured mugs for different modules.

deepndark

28 Sep 2017

When I drink a big glass of orange juice instead of coffee, I feel a lot better in the mornings. But coffee reduces a cancer-risk they say.

eXode

28 Sep 2017

Coffee in moderate consumption can help protect against dementia and early stages of Alzheimer’s disease. Among other things.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20182054

Andy
Competition Winner

28 Sep 2017

How did this turn into the Coffee Appreciation Thread? :puf_bigsmile:

rcbuse
RE Developer

28 Sep 2017

In my experience it takes 100's if not 1000's of cups of coffee to create each device.

stfual

28 Sep 2017

eXode wrote:
28 Sep 2017
Coffee in moderate consumption can help protect against dementia and early stages of Alzheimer’s disease. Among other things.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20182054
Be very careful. That isn't a fact it's an opinion as this later published doc indicates.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24676319
"Some studies suggest a protective association while others report no benefit. To our knowledge, no evidence has been gathered from randomized controlled trials"

Confuses correlation with cause and effect. I'm not cynically suggesting that the coffee industry would like this to be true and so fund reports in that direction but there is no independent research on this. I and doctors I've spoken to can show clear correlation between alcohol consumption and dementia. I know several older people who were regular drinkers including family members who now have dementia, and others who weren't who don't. All of the dementia people drank coffee for their hangovers. I cant prove cause (yet) but I've basically stopped drinking booze although as a previous occasional binge drinker the damage may already be done.
Coffee drinkers have more rheumatism and joint problems again correlation not cause necessarily but as a runner I've found that personally to be true so don't drink coffee much any more and my knee and ankle pains have faded away.

Now back to the record........

jayhosking

29 Sep 2017

I don't want to dwell on this, but as a neuroscience guy (that's my day job and education), I thought maybe I should pipe up. This is in fact "independent research". There is no "big coffee" out to get you and sway research in this regard; they don't need to (everybody's already hooked and society has no stigma against drinking it). The researchers in question work at a university and report no conflicts of interest that are related to "big coffee" (i.e. they're not being funded by anyone in the coffee industry).

Yes, the research is non-experimental, but speaking in terms of parsimony, it's reasonable to say that coffee may have a beneficial, protective effect against dementia and other NCDs. Another way of putting it: what common factor amongst these coffee drinkers in these varied samples is actually having the neuroprotective effect that's being observed? Strangely, nicotine may also be protective in this regard. I'm not suggesting we all go out and pound back the joe and smoke until our lungs hurt; there are obviously detrimental effects to smoking, for example (i.e. that you have a 1 in 2 chance of it killing you if you're a smoker). I'm simply emphasizing that we're not talking about "opinion" here. We're talking about educated conclusions based on the best available evidence. I'm sure people are working on true experiments on this now, and we will have new best available evidence.

And if you want to further discuss, I'd encourage you to send me a DM instead of sullying this thread even further!

If you thought being a music nerd was bad enough...

And for what it's worth, I'd love to see an in-house doc on Peter (or any of the other great talent there).

Marco Raaphorst

29 Sep 2017

Yes I love his work!

miscend

29 Sep 2017

Green tea is healthier. It will help you live longer and lose weight.

dioxide

29 Sep 2017

miscend wrote:
29 Sep 2017
Green tea is healthier. It will help you live longer and lose weight.
Yes but consider the quality of the synths that will be produced after drinking this. I think real hard caffeine is needed for quality DSP coding.

normen

29 Sep 2017

jayhosking wrote:
29 Sep 2017
Strangely, nicotine may also be protective in this regard. I'm not suggesting we all go out and pound back the joe and smoke until our lungs hurt; there are obviously detrimental effects to smoking, for example (i.e. that you have a 1 in 2 chance of it killing you if you're a smoker).
Well these days its easy to only get the nicotine with e-cigs.. From what I read nicotine itself doesn't seem to do much harm unless you have a comparative LOT at once.. And its kinda nice being addicted, I mean theres only so many ways to make your body say "Yo dude, well done, you can do THAT again in time!" ;)

SebAudio

06 Sep 2020

Just for the record : Peter has developed Sub, Parsec, Complex-1 and Friktion. Did he developed also Thor ? PX7 ? Thanks

Breach The Sky

08 Sep 2020

He also did dsp/algos for Europa and Grain, if i'm not mistaken. He knows his stuff!

miscend

10 Sep 2020

I think Thor was was done by someone else but don't quote me on it.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

10 Sep 2020

SebAudio wrote:
06 Sep 2020
Just for the record : Peter has developed Sub, Parsec, Complex-1 and Friktion. Did he developed also Thor ? PX7 ? Thanks
Oh yes, he did the DSP for Thor :)

I'm pretty sure Peter did the DSP (and various levels of other things) for the following devices:
  • Friktion
  • Europa
  • Thor
  • Monotone
  • Subtractor
  • Kong
  • Redrum
  • Dr OctoRex
  • NN-19 and NN-XT
  • Grain
  • Radical Piano
  • Radical Keys
  • Complex-1
  • Parsec
  • Audiomatic
  • Scream4
  • RV7000
  • MClass devices
  • Sweeper
  • Quartet
  • Master Bus Compressor
  • Channel EQ
  • Channel Dynamics
  • Polar
  • Rotor
  • The Echo
  • Pulveriser
  • Alligator
  • Synchronous
  • BV512
  • Neptune
  • DDL-1
  • CF-101
  • PH-90
  • RV-7
  • ECF-42
  • D-11
  • UN-16
  • PEQ-2
  • COMP-01
  • Dual Arpeggio
  • Pulsar
In addition he also did the DSP for the time stretch, slice detection and pitch edit algorithms. And probably some mixer-related things I'm forgetting. :puf_bigsmile:

• Information