What features does Reason DAW have that others don't?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
pushedbutton

31 Aug 2020

Reason is the only DAW that has a screw that you can mess about with.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

dioxide

31 Aug 2020

Future proof plugins with one-click install. I can't for the life of me figure out why RS don't make more of this in their marketing.

Oquasec

01 Sep 2020

Yeah they don't emphasize the way their plugins are developed at all.
People have no idea what this is in general.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

MannequinRaces

01 Sep 2020

dioxide wrote:
31 Aug 2020
Future proof plugins with one-click install. I can't for the life of me figure out why RS don't make more of this in their marketing.
This is an excellent point and something Reason Studios should definitely try and market more.

Creativemind

01 Sep 2020

motuscott wrote:
31 Aug 2020
That Reason Smell™
Herring and Lingonberry. :lol:
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

01 Sep 2020

EnochLight wrote:
31 Aug 2020
chimp_spanner wrote:
31 Aug 2020
Perhaps some of these have made it to other DAWs and I’m just out of the loop but some of my favourites are:

Absolute backwards compatibility to version 1
Alas, this stopped being a thing when the Line6 amps were removed, breaking all Reason 6.0 - 8.0 projects in later versions. I know they threw in the new Softube amps as a replacement in Reason 9, but those Line6 amps had a very specific sound, and arguably a lot more versatility (they came with a veritable ton of presets). I find the Softube amps OK, but they're downright meger by comparison, IMHO.
Haven't ever compared but the Softube aren't bad. I just had a look at a pic of the Line 6 and got the Softube up on my comp. The Line 6 had 1 parameter different, Presence, what did that do, guessing an EQ boost or cut at around 4k perhaps?

Also, in regard to the Line 6 breaking backwards compatibility. Only if you have projects containing the Line 6 amps so no, in fairness doesn't break backwards compatibility as a whole, just in some instances.

Got me thinking about those Line 6 Amps now and would love to try them out again. My new computer I bought 6 months ago doesn't have a CD / DVD drive so i couldn't load my Reason 6.5 disc on it. I wonder if using my laptop I could somehow install Reason 6.5 onto an External Hard-Drive and then onto my computer that way?
Last edited by Creativemind on 01 Sep 2020, edited 2 times in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Fotu

01 Sep 2020

Overall ease of use, particularly if it's something you don't use for hours every day.

I also use Logic Pro X which has a lot more capability particularly in the sequencer, but at a cost of complexity and 'now how did I do that??' pauses in workflow. Compare forums for Reason vs Logic and you see mostly talk about sounds, music and wishes on the former vs 'can't figure out how to... / why is it doing this...' etc. on the later.

Tiny Montgomery

01 Sep 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
31 Aug 2020
The players are the defining feature for me , midi fx in other DAWs are nothing like as deep and feature rich.
:thumbs_up:

Tiny Montgomery

01 Sep 2020

guitfnky wrote:
31 Aug 2020
motuscott wrote:
31 Aug 2020
The stability thing is huge but invisible. I don't save until I've finished working or want a back up at a particular point. That's pretty amazing.
couldn’t agree more. Reason is more stable than a horse barn thing.
Ableton is still my main DAW but Reason loading times are fractions of seconds whereas Ableton can be tens of seconds and also crashes more frequently in comparison. Could be my machine and it usually takes a long session plus Ozone to crash Ableton TBF, but the difference is noticeable.

Tiny Montgomery

01 Sep 2020

motuscott wrote:
31 Aug 2020
That Reason Smell™
:thumbs_up:

motuscott

01 Sep 2020

Hello Tiny Mongomery
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

aftrshok99

01 Sep 2020

gullum wrote:
01 Sep 2020
The ability to keep me focused on making music
In my case, I'd have to agree with this 100%
Reason+ / Bitwig Studio 4 / NI Maschine MK3 / Novation Launchpad Mini MK3 / NI M32

EnochLight

01 Sep 2020

selig wrote:
31 Aug 2020
But they DO sound exactly the same, at least for me in all but 1-2 cases! :)
I'm not sure how you can say this when the Line 6 amps and the Softube amps that replaced them have completely different sound. I mean, unless you're not using Line 6 amps in this situation? :o :shock: :?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

guitfnky

01 Sep 2020

EnochLight wrote:
01 Sep 2020
selig wrote:
31 Aug 2020
I'm not sure how you can say this when the Line 6 amps and the Softube amps that replaced them have completely different sound. I mean, unless you're not using Line 6 amps in this situation? :o :shock: :?
I have to assume that’s what he means. if you’re not using the Line 6 devices, no harm, no foul, but if you are, it’s gonna sound different, for sure.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

EnochLight

01 Sep 2020

guitfnky wrote:
01 Sep 2020
EnochLight wrote:
01 Sep 2020

I have to assume that’s what he means. if you’re not using the Line 6 devices, no harm, no foul, but if you are, it’s gonna sound different, for sure.
Indeed, if said users are not using any Line 6 devices in Reason 6-8, then this doesn't apply to the users in question.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

plaamook

03 Sep 2020

jwd606 wrote:
31 Aug 2020
jjkjjk wrote:
31 Aug 2020
LOW cpu usage
Not on a Mac. Logic can run far more tracks. And using the RRP in Logic has lower cpu usage than running the equivalent in Reason itself.
That's very interesting. I dumped logic so no chance to try this.
Perpetual Reason 12 Beta Tester :reason:

You can check out my music here.
https://m.soundcloud.com/ericholmofficial
Or here.
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC73uZZ ... 8jqUubzsQg

plaamook

03 Sep 2020

mcatalao wrote:
31 Aug 2020
Cubase, forces you to define a project once you create it. TBH i'd like to see that in reason, even if your hd gets 100000 files called document_mmddaa_hhmmss.
Absolutely not fars I'm concerned.
The free way you can just open and jam is part of why I like reason. I hate having to make a file just to have a little jam.
A little file management etc and it's easy enough to just save it once it's getting somewhere. IMHO.

Or here.

plaamook

03 Sep 2020

What other DAWs allow you to open multiple song files at once?
In my experience thus far this is a great thing in Reason only. (?) You can copy paste from song to song.
Sounds small but once you start jamming things out and mashing things together it becomes essential.
Can't think how I'd work without that at this ponit.

Or here.

Tiny Montgomery

04 Sep 2020

plaamook wrote:
03 Sep 2020
What other DAWs allow you to open multiple song files at once?
In my experience thus far this is a great thing in Reason only. (?) You can copy paste from song to song.
Sounds small but once you start jamming things out and mashing things together it becomes essential.
Can't think how I'd work without that at this ponit.
Ableton allows mulitple projects but you can just drag tracks or entire sections of songs into your current project from your existing projects in the left hand browser pane - the project files open out into tracks and samples that can be freely accessed. I'm always nicking drum tracks and whatnot between projects or just using the best bit of one project im not feeling to start another.

I always thought it a shame Reason doesn't have this but your suggestion of just opening up another reason song file and copying it is brilliant. I have a couple of tracks I have bounced where I want to get the original midi track back and they are in earlier versions :thumbs_up:

Feel a bit stupid for not just working this out though ngl.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2020

plaamook wrote:
03 Sep 2020
jwd606 wrote:
31 Aug 2020

Not on a Mac. Logic can run far more tracks. And using the RRP in Logic has lower cpu usage than running the equivalent in Reason itself.
That's very interesting. I dumped logic so no chance to try this.
This I find difficult because I tried it on Reaper and the amount of devices was more or less the same.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2020

plaamook wrote:
03 Sep 2020

The free way you can just open and jam is part of why I like reason. I hate having to make a file just to have a little jam.
A little file management etc and it's easy enough to just save it once it's getting somewhere. IMHO.
Well... Try working 4 hours on a project without saving and having a power down, to see if that doesn't hurt.

Marco Raaphorst

04 Sep 2020

must say Reason feels totally like an old friend. using it since 1.0. Ableton since 1.2

plaamook

04 Sep 2020

mcatalao wrote:
04 Sep 2020
plaamook wrote:
03 Sep 2020

Well... Try working 4 hours on a project without saving and having a power down, to see if that doesn't hurt.
I bet.
I’ve only had that from logic.I’ve never had Reason crash on me like that.
Few times due to soothe update but that’s fixed.

Or here.

selig
RE Developer

04 Sep 2020

EnochLight wrote:
01 Sep 2020
selig wrote:
31 Aug 2020
Sorry, thought I was crystal clear: when you do not use Line6 amps (and I've only used them a few times myself), then the files open 100% identically to the original. And if you don't actually need to open those files (and I have not), then it's a moot point.
So there are two HUGE qualifiers to your statement that keep it from being "100% broken" as was originally stated: the use of the amps in a song, and the likelihood of actually needing to open up one of those songs at some point in the future. That's all I was meaning to point out: it's only 100% broken for those specific times you fall into both of those camps. Sorry for the side-track, carry on!

And to agree with others, the one thing Reason has that no other DAW has is the inspiration factor.
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information