Four free RE's from Skrock!

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

BRIGGS

02 Sep 2020

Thanks! :puf_smile:
r11s

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2020

Cool.
Went ahead and got Orbis and Thermal now. :thumbs_up:
Already had a couple of Skrock REs from before.

drk73

03 Sep 2020

challism

03 Sep 2020

drk73 wrote:
03 Sep 2020
Good!
But old.

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7516840
Yeah, at first I was excited for some new free stuff. Then realized I already had this free stuff from the last time they gave it away. But definitely worthy of another big THANK YOU to Skrock Music for the gifts. These are great for anybody who doesn't have them, though. Grab them now! Nice synths. Iridium is probably my favorites of these four, kind of a one-trick pony, but I like that dirty, dirty trick quite a bit. ;)
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

drk73

03 Sep 2020

But definitely worthy of another big THANK YOU to Skrock Music for the gifts.
Agree!

guitfnky

03 Sep 2020

I use Iridium every so often when I need something with a nasty growl. I think I’ve used Nautilus on a couple of tracks too. love Skrock’s synths—Solaris, or whatever it’s called now—is awesome and has gotten a lot of use.

it’s a shame how people here keep dumping on ROMplers, as if they’re somehow less capable than synths with normal oscillators—I imagine that’s hurt Skrock’s and other developers’ sales. makes me sad because they sound so damn good.

need to download Orbis and Thermal now. thanks for the heads-up!
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

danc

03 Sep 2020

guitfnky wrote:
03 Sep 2020
it’s a shame how people here keep dumping on ROMplers, as if they’re somehow less capable than synths with normal oscillators
I also have the same feeling every time someone says... "not interested - it's a ROMpler."

Would they say the same thing for classic hardware synths like the Roland D50? Even though it is a ROMpler in its purest sense... as the OSCs are samples.
Or Dave Smith's Prophet X, because half of its OSC capability are samples?...or the Studiologic Sledge hardware.... or Korg Wavestation...or any wavetable based VST synth - which are simply samples being played in a creative way.

At what point does a synth get titled as a ROMpler anyway? I grade the quality of a synth by the way it manipulates sound, not where the source sounds comes from.
Check my Soundcloud:

challism

03 Sep 2020

guitfnky wrote:
03 Sep 2020
I use Iridium every so often when I need something with a nasty growl.
I love its nasty growl. It's so dirty. I also like Thermal quite a bit. It's probably my second favorite of these particular synths.
guitfnky wrote:
03 Sep 2020
it’s a shame how people here keep dumping on ROMplers, as if they’re somehow less capable than synths with normal oscillators—I imagine that’s hurt Skrock’s and other developers’ sales. makes me sad because they sound so damn good.
I agree. There are some damn good romplers in the shop. My only problem with them is that they can be quite large in hard drive requirements. I did say CAN.... I'm sure there are many which don't take up much space... such as Iridium, which only takes up about 5 MBs.

guitfnky

03 Sep 2020

danc wrote:
03 Sep 2020
guitfnky wrote:
03 Sep 2020
it’s a shame how people here keep dumping on ROMplers, as if they’re somehow less capable than synths with normal oscillators
I also have the same feeling every time someone says... "not interested - it's a ROMpler."

Would they say the same thing for classic hardware synths like the Roland D50? Even though it is a ROMpler in its purest sense... as the OSCs are samples.
Or Dave Smith's Prophet X, because half of its OSC capability are samples?...or the Studiologic Sledge hardware.... or Korg Wavestation...or any wavetable based VST synth - which are simply samples being played in a creative way.

At what point does a synth get titled as a ROMpler anyway? I grade the quality of a synth by the way it manipulates sound, not where the source sounds comes from.
yep, it’s really baffling. like, the listener on the other end of your mix has no idea whether you used an oscillator-based synth, a ROMpler, or something in between (great point too—at what point is something one or the other?)—and more importantly, they don’t care. does it sound good? that’s all that matters.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2020

guitfnky wrote:
03 Sep 2020
danc wrote:
03 Sep 2020

yep, it’s really baffling. like, the listener on the other end of your mix has no idea whether you used an oscillator-based synth, a ROMpler, or something in between (great point too—at what point is something one or the other?)—and more importantly, they don’t care. does it sound good? that’s all that matters.
I ❤️ ROMplers Fanclub?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

03 Sep 2020

challism wrote:
03 Sep 2020
guitfnky wrote:
03 Sep 2020
I use Iridium every so often when I need something with a nasty growl.
I love its nasty growl. It's so dirty. I also like Thermal quite a bit. It's probably my second favorite of these particular synths.
guitfnky wrote:
03 Sep 2020
I agree. There are some damn good romplers in the shop. My only problem with them is that they can be quite large in hard drive requirements. I did say CAN.... I'm sure there are many which don't take up much space... such as Iridium, which only takes up about 5 MBs.
totally! and yeah, having a large chunk of hard drive eaten up by samples isn’t the best, but I imagine a lot of the same people who look down their noses at RE ROMplers are using stuff like Kontakt (or is it Komplete?) libraries (which I think the new version coming out takes up an entire terabyte).

and it’s kind of funny because before someone pointed out the difference between IDT and non-IDT REs a couple of years ago, it didn’t seem like anyone really much cared. pretty sure the GeForce REs are all ROMplers, but you never really heard people grumbling about that, at least not that I’m aware of.

at the end of the day, an instrument is an instrument. both Thermal and Orbis look really cool and unique. somehow managed to completely miss both of them until now.

guitfnky

03 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
03 Sep 2020
guitfnky wrote:
03 Sep 2020

I ❤️ ROMplers Fanclub?
or, how about I 🧡 Great-Sounding Instruments Fan Club? 😬

MrFigg
Competition Winner

03 Sep 2020

guitfnky wrote:
03 Sep 2020
MrFigg wrote:
03 Sep 2020

I ❤️ ROMplers Fanclub?
Do it :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

03 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
03 Sep 2020
guitfnky wrote:
03 Sep 2020

Do it :)
I’m already in it! it’s called Reason! 😆

bxbrkrz

03 Sep 2020

Was the Chamberlin M1 the first ROMpler?

:lightbulb: :ugeek: :lightbulb:
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

challism

03 Sep 2020

guitfnky wrote:
03 Sep 2020
I imagine a lot of the same people who look down their noses at RE ROMplers are using stuff like Kontakt (or is it Komplete?) libraries (which I think the new version coming out takes up an entire terabyte).
They are probably fans of Malstrom, too. Shhh, don't tell them those are samples loaded inside Malstrom. And how great is Malstrom? Love it!

dvdrtldg

03 Sep 2020

Sell me on Thermal. Do I need it? what's it good for? any particular strengths or peculiarities?

challism

04 Sep 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
03 Sep 2020
Sell me on Thermal.
It's free. Boom!

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

04 Sep 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
03 Sep 2020
Sell me on Thermal. Do I need it? what's it good for? any particular strengths or peculiarities?
I wrote this little mini tune about 3 years ago using Thermal and a bunch of effects when it first came out. I don't know if it will entice you to download it or scare you away. But anyway, it's what I've got for you. :)

dvdrtldg

06 Sep 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
04 Sep 2020
dvdrtldg wrote:
03 Sep 2020
I wrote this little mini tune about 3 years ago using Thermal and a bunch of effects when it first came out. I don't know if it will entice you to download it or scare you away. But anyway, it's what I've got for you. :)
Love it! Yeah I'll probably grab Thermal, can't pass up a freebie and you're making it sound pretty fine

challism

06 Sep 2020

Poohbear put together a good video which goes into detail discussing Thermal.

ravisoni

07 Sep 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
04 Sep 2020
dvdrtldg wrote:
03 Sep 2020
How the hell are you so creative man, sheesh. Putting us Reason peasants to shame every opportunity you get. Others might be here for the ROMplers fan club, but I'm here for the tritone fanclub.
:reason: Reason 12 | :re: Preset Browser | :refill: Refill Hoarder

• Information