Anyone developing a mixer?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
selig
RE Developer

01 Sep 2020

dancing fool wrote:
01 Sep 2020
A stereo 6 in 8 out matrix mixer with direct out of the inputs would work for me.
Specifically with what features? Do you need the option for pre fader sends, returns on faders, master section, any EQ or filter needs, metering, mute/solo on faders and/or sends, pan on sends, etc?
Selig Audio, LLC

DJMaytag

01 Sep 2020

dancing fool wrote:
01 Sep 2020
A stereo 6 in 8 out matrix mixer with direct out of the inputs would work for me.
Didn’t someone develop something like this? I thought a dev had made a matrix mixer and released everything for free before he passed away.

dancing fool

01 Sep 2020

selig wrote:
01 Sep 2020
dancing fool wrote:
01 Sep 2020
Specifically with what features? Do you need the option for pre fader sends, returns on faders, master section, any EQ or filter needs, metering, mute/solo on faders and/or sends, pan on sends, etc?
Just a stereo 6 in 8 out audio matrix mixer with volume and pan (with cv control on the back) for each chanel, something like the osc mixer of zero from blamsoft, or the a138m from doepfer

dancing fool

01 Sep 2020

DJMaytag wrote:
01 Sep 2020
dancing fool wrote:
01 Sep 2020
Didn’t someone develop something like this? I thought a dev had made a matrix mixer and released everything for free before he passed away.
Hamu mesher (great device) but only for cv

joeyluck

01 Sep 2020

I want to see a mixer in the style of Red Rock's ModularRE, with interchangeable elements in the channel strips.

Pretty much what some of us have requested of Reason's Mixer, but in a Rack Extension. I'd still like to see that by the way—opening up the Mixer to RE devs to make EQs and compressors, etc.

DJMaytag

01 Sep 2020

joeyluck wrote:
01 Sep 2020
Pretty much what some of us have requested of Reason's Mixer, but in a Rack Extension. I'd still like to see that by the way—opening up the Mixer to RE devs to make EQs and compressors, etc.
That would be kinda cool, actually. Open sourcing some of the oldest parts of Reason for use with developing RE’s would be pretty neat. TBH, outside of layering up synths in a Combinator, I haven’t used the 6:2 nor 14:2 in a decade.

diminished
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2020

sblendid!
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

East Island

01 Sep 2020

A Controle Freak. Loves Logic&Reason&Luna ;) , remote controllers.
https://soundcloud.com/east-island

jamesa

01 Sep 2020

diminished wrote:
01 Sep 2020
sblendid!
sblendit? (get it S-blend-it) :?: :geek:

Murf
RE Developer

02 Sep 2020

joeyluck wrote:
01 Sep 2020
I want to see a mixer in the style of Red Rock's ModularRE, with interchangeable elements in the channel strips.

This is the sort of thing I want to make, but what sort of different Mixer Modules would people envision or need?
I have already started something that will have a detailed config panel show up when you select it but am happy to have multiple different functions similar to ModularRE.
Screenshots to come as ideas grow.
tempsnip.png
tempsnip.png (63.54 KiB) Viewed 3465 times
Murf.

Loque

02 Sep 2020

Murf wrote:
02 Sep 2020
joeyluck wrote:
01 Sep 2020

This is the sort of thing I want to make, but what sort of different Mixer Modules would people envision or need?
I have already started something that will have a detailed config panel show up when you select it but am happy to have multiple different functions similar to ModularRE.
Screenshots to come as ideas grow.
tempsnip.png
Murf.
Interesting idea to make a modular mixer. Modules would be in simple cases Gain+Pan, Send Fx with output on back. So i can hook up 3 audio channels and 7 send fx if there is enough room for 10 modules.
Reason12, Win10

Murf
RE Developer

02 Sep 2020

Loque wrote:
02 Sep 2020
Interesting idea to make a modular mixer. Modules would be in simple cases Gain+Pan, Send Fx with output on back. So i can hook up 3 audio channels and 7 send fx if there is enough room for 10 modules.
Going more than 8 modules might be pushing it, maybe a 2 x 8 will that still work?

Murf
RE Developer

02 Sep 2020

Mockup.png
Mockup.png (330.1 KiB) Viewed 3441 times

Loque

02 Sep 2020

Murf wrote:
02 Sep 2020
Loque wrote:
02 Sep 2020
Going more than 8 modules might be pushing it, maybe a 2 x 8 will that still work?
I have no problem if it is a bit bigger and for my personal taste, the gain-mixer should be sliders and not knobs. Just like the 14:4, just make it a bit smaller, so there can be maybe 16-20 channels/modules and personally i do not need the EQ, but the "Pre-Fader" knob would be good. Master Gain and Panning would be nice, but its not a must. I really would just need a simple mixer controlling additionally a lot of send fx, which i can root back into the mixer.

Do not forget, for each send fx you need a "send" knob. Dunno how this can be handled in a modular mixer...
Reason12, Win10

Murf
RE Developer

02 Sep 2020

Loque wrote:
02 Sep 2020
I have no problem if it is a bit bigger and for my personal taste, the gain-mixer should be sliders and not knobs. Just like the 14:4, just make it a bit smaller, so there can be maybe 16-20 channels/modules and personally i do not need the EQ, but the "Pre-Fader" knob would be good. Master Gain and Panning would be nice, but its not a must. I really would just need a simple mixer controlling additionally a lot of send fx, which i can root back into the mixer.

Do not forget, for each send fx you need a "send" knob. Dunno how this can be handled in a modular mixer...
So we have different selectable modules that just change the UI for exactly the same functionality? ie., sliders instead of knobs etc?
Or do people want actual different mixer functions per module? If so what sort of functions?
Murf.

Loque

02 Sep 2020

Murf wrote:
02 Sep 2020
Loque wrote:
02 Sep 2020

So we have different selectable modules that just change the UI for exactly the same functionality? ie., sliders instead of knobs etc?
Or do people want actual different mixer functions per module? If so what sort of functions?
Murf.
If i read the thread here, i realized some ppl want
* Lots of audio channels
* Less audio channels
* Lots of send fx
* Less send fx
This would lead to modules of both types, a audio channel module and a send fx module.

A few stated in other threads, they prefer sliders over knobs for gain control (since all mixer have sliders for gain). So do i prefere a slider for gain control.

A few want pan control included, but this often leads to the discussion of the right pan control, with width control, independent or combined L/R control and so on. A simple one would be enough for me.

A few want more of EQ, compressors, gates and so on to have a channel strip, but i think if i need this, i add this in my audio chain and i can chose the module i want.

Just my 2 cents.
Reason12, Win10

Sterioevo

02 Sep 2020

A "Matrix" type of solution is something that comes to my mind.

What if an input could be an output, and vice/versa, and an audio I/O could be cv I/O selectable as required?

In a modular sense..

Say you have 6 or 12 or 24 nodes or points or junctions.

Assignable in the matrix.

Like a universal patch bay

With scaling parameters and a mod bus to make it sing.

pongasoft
RE Developer

02 Sep 2020

selig wrote:
30 Aug 2020
Also, and it's a small detail, but there is a required amount of space to be set aside on all back panels, which is not being done on this mockup - meaning, there's actually less space on the current back panel than indicated by my mockup.
If you are talking about what is called the "placeholder" in the documentation, this requirement has been dropped so no need to reserve this space anymore.

Yan

selig
RE Developer

02 Sep 2020

pongasoft wrote:
02 Sep 2020
selig wrote:
30 Aug 2020
Also, and it's a small detail, but there is a required amount of space to be set aside on all back panels, which is not being done on this mockup - meaning, there's actually less space on the current back panel than indicated by my mockup.
If you are talking about what is called the "placeholder" in the documentation, this requirement has been dropped so no need to reserve this space anymore.

Yan
Ahhh, out of the loop here but that explains something I saw recently - thanks for the update! ;)
Woohoo, more room for CV!

Back on topic, again there seems to be more than one mixer being suggested here, with many folks wanting very different things…
Selig Audio, LLC

pongasoft
RE Developer

02 Sep 2020

selig wrote:
02 Sep 2020
Back on topic, again there seems to be more than one mixer being suggested here, with many folks wanting very different things…
Then maybe the RE to build is a RE that lets you build your own mixer (BYOM) ;)

Yan

selig
RE Developer

02 Sep 2020

OK, after more thinking about how a matrix mixer could work, I have a few very rough mockups using the 14:2 mixer as a starting point. The actual look is not necessarily what I'm going for, I'm just using the 14:2 mixer as a starting point on these mockups for speed purposes!

What's missing?
•Pan for each send (would either half the number of sends, or almost double the size of the mixer).
•Mute for each send, but could be added by clicking on the send number.
•Individual Pre/Post button, but a global button for each send is probably all that's needed in 99% of the cases.
•I've not considered how the back panel would be laid out in either of these current designs.

Other options:
•LP & HP option for the Low Shelf and High Shelf EQ bands.
•Pan reverse buttons (global) for sends, such that the left channel is sent to the right FX input and vise-versa.

First up, a simple 6 input 8x8 matrix mixer.
Second up the same thing but with an option for EQ/filters which I find very useful for feedback FX setups.

Selig Audio, LLC

fullforce

02 Sep 2020

Wow, this thread made me remember Executioner, I should use that more often.
This is a block of text that can be added to posts you make. There is a 255 character limit.

sdst
Competition Winner

02 Sep 2020

Murf wrote:
31 Aug 2020
Design it here and I will try and build it!
Murf.
not my design but here it is

lowtom

02 Sep 2020

Great ideas!
I would love to see 8ch mixer with lp/hp filters + resonance control per channel.

One thing I would love to see, as those are all digital mixers, is some sort of build in scene storage - 8 scenes would be enough. It would be nice to store full mixer state in those scenes and instantly recall it via automation or MIDI remote.
:reason: :refill: :re:

joeyluck

02 Sep 2020

When it comes to a Rack mixer, I would say go with the full 9U.

This is a utility in which other options are very limited, so don't limit yourself by trying to make it compact. This is one of the few RE plugins that would make sense having it take up the max amount of rack space.

Make it something that Mixer 14:2 isn't exactly in the same ballpark with. I think having something similar to Mixer 14:2 with just a mid EQ knob added...or more sends/returns...doesn't quite offer enough in addition for it to pique the interest of a greater number of users.

Maybe 8-12 channel strips, and interchangeable options like ModularRE—that would be awesome.

• Information