Arturia MicroFreak

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
madmacman

02 Sep 2020

Just tried it: With MidiPipe it is possible to convert the AT messages from the MicroFreak. Works more or less. So this is a possible solution...

PhillipOrdonez

02 Sep 2020

madmacman wrote: โ†‘
02 Sep 2020
Just tried it: With MidiPipe it is possible to convert the AT messages from the MicroFreak. Works more or less. So this is a possible solution...
One of those rare occasions I wish I was on Mac... ๐Ÿคทโ€โ™‚๏ธ

demt

29 Nov 2020

Yup mucking around with all those different types of oscilaters and various routings
are going to keep me happy for a very long time and the filter cut off n the completely intuitive screen are a joy , jeez what a winner.
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

PhillipOrdonez

14 Jan 2021

New firmware available. New oscillators from Noise Engineering!!!!!! ๐Ÿ•บ

Crumbfort

27 Jan 2021

PhillipOrdonez wrote: โ†‘
14 Jan 2021
Hoo yeah! They are absolutely fantastic!
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

PhillipOrdonez

27 Jan 2021

Crumbfort wrote: โ†‘
27 Jan 2021
PhillipOrdonez wrote: โ†‘
14 Jan 2021
Hoo yeah! They are absolutely fantastic!
They are!

Steedus
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2022

Never owned a hardware synth before (or had that much interest honestly), but something is changing .. I'm getting tempted to have a go at this one. (after seeing it again in VT's recent video). Looks fun and interesting. And it's priced *just* cheap enough that I can justify taking a punt on whether I'll get into it. I don't like that it's all plastic, but I know that would inflate the price. And it would be fun to break out my collection of delay and reverb guitar pedals for a change!

joeyluck

22 Apr 2022

I was considering it also, but I'd be more tempted if it did audio over USB and if it was stereo. I didn't know that it was just a mono output.

Steedus
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2022

Ahh really? I thought it was a stereo 6.35 that required a breakout cable for stereo. Well, as it doesn't have built in effects, I don't think it's a deal breaker for me personally.

DaveyG

22 Apr 2022

Steedus wrote: โ†‘
22 Apr 2022
Ahh really? I thought it was a stereo 6.35 that required a breakout cable for stereo. Well, as it doesn't have built in effects, I don't think it's a deal breaker for me personally.
The main output is a TRS balanced signal but mono. You can just use a mono jack lead with it for normal length cable runs.
I'd love the 'freak to have built-in effects but as it hasn't I agree that a mono output is fine.

If you only buy one hardware synth in your life this has got to be right up near the top of the shortlist. I love mine and use it all the time. It just tempts you to step outside the cosy world of software and fiddle with the knobs and that keyboard! Since I bought it (about 2 years ago) there has been a steady stream of free firmware updates bringing major new features and also an occasional release of free presets from Arturia showcasing those new features. The keyboard is unconventional but fun and the performance buttons (spice, dice etc) encourage you to play stuff in real-time rather than just sequencing everything and I've never had another synth where you can modulate/change a sound by placing extra finger(s) on the same key! It's also got one of the best user manuals you will ever read, written in a readable style and throwing in suggestions and ideas throughout. One section is called "Freaky Ideas"!

Of course, no synth is perfect. I've lived with mine for a couple of years now and there are a few fairly minor things I would change:
1. I'd make the screen a bit bigger. It's a very crisp, sharp OLED display but the text size is a little small for my aging eyesight.
2. I'd add proper MIDI sockets. Like many other budget synths the 'freak comes with those jack to DIN adapter cables, not my favourite things in the world.
3. I'd boost the output level. It is a little lower than most other synths.
4. Not so minor and it would probably put up the price but, yeah, a few built-in effects and a stereo output would be awesome!

Overall a great synth offering something different and at a crazy low price.

Steedus
Competition Winner

22 Apr 2022

Cheers for the info!

DaveyG

22 Apr 2022

22 Apr 2022
Cheers for the info!
No probs, and apologies if I got a bit overenthusiastic there. It's just the sort of synth that inspires enthusiasm. :D
If you can afford it, buy one. In the very unlikely event that you don't get on with it there is a healthy resale value.

joeyluck

22 Apr 2022

22 Apr 2022
Yeah for me it's also about things that would happen before external effects, whether it's something as simple as having the LFO target panning or being able to spread the detuned voices of the superwave osc. It also means that the built-in chorus is a mono effect, although in the manual they say it can be used to make the harmonic osc "wider", so I'm curious what that means for a mono sound source.

Steedus
Competition Winner

24 Apr 2022

I bought it ๐Ÿ˜ early bday present for myself.

strangers
Competition Winner

27 Apr 2022

24 Apr 2022
Happy bday! Did you get yours yet? What are your initial impressions? I recently stumbled across the Microfreak and interested in buying one. I tend to be more productive with hardware as opposed to software. Would be great to do some spring cleaning, sell some software synths and focus on the Microfreak.

Steedus
Competition Winner

27 Apr 2022

strangers wrote: โ†‘
27 Apr 2022
24 Apr 2022
Happy bday! Did you get yours yet? What are your initial impressions? I recently stumbled across the Microfreak and interested in buying one. I tend to be more productive with hardware as opposed to software. Would be great to do some spring cleaning, sell some software synths and focus on the Microfreak.
Thanks. I havenโ€™t got it yet, maybe another week!

joeyluck

27 Apr 2022

24 Apr 2022
Did you go with the regular or the vocoder version?

Steedus
Competition Winner

27 Apr 2022

joeyluck wrote: โ†‘
27 Apr 2022
24 Apr 2022
Did you go with the regular or the vocoder version?
Regular. I prefer the black (including the little graphic), and the mic can be purchased separately later if I want (or just use a headset). But honestly after all the Reason videos about the BV-X Iโ€™m not that impressed with the vocoder on the MF anyway (in terms of word clarity). Still nice to have it all the same.

Steedus
Competition Winner

29 Apr 2022

I got it! had a bit of a play tonight. Shocked at how easy it was to hook up to Reason both as a midi controller, and sending midi data out to it from Reason. (Turns out I don't need the midi cables I bought lol, can. just do it over USB). Speaking of midi cables, the only let down is one of the midi adaptor cables it came doesn't let me plug a cable into it.. One of the pins must be jammed, but it's really hard to tell.. Oh well tiny thing.

I gotta say simply adding a stereo reverb after it improves most patches 100%. Liking the keyboard too.

• Information