Friktion - Will you buy it? - POLL

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.

Friktion - Will you buy it?

I've already bought it.
8%
I'm gonna buy it soon, at full price.
7%
I want it, but I'll wait for a better deal to show up, then I'll buy it.
45%
Haven't decided yet.
10%
Nope I have no plans to buy it.
29%

Total votes: 163
TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2020

Just curious since there's some hype around Friktion right now. Looks like many people are interested in it.
Feel free to comment on what motivated your answer.

Sterioevo

01 Sep 2020

sounds like a very sad song on a very small violin....

moneykube

01 Sep 2020

it fills the string needs I was missing... so yes... bought
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

Loque

01 Sep 2020

I have still a few synths, i just opened and checked if they are running...I must wait to buy new stuff.
Reason12, Win10

Billy+

01 Sep 2020

Really not sure,
I like the sound in the demos, I've been looking for something that does strings and didn't want to pay full price for stringwerk and now we have Friktion for the same price I'm definitely not buying stringwerk.

The biggest issue is at some point I'm going to regret buying it either because it's discounted or ends up being included which has happened far too many times in the past.

Billy+

01 Sep 2020

I wonder if anyone can get a message to Ryan or Mattias before today's stream to put us out of our misery over a possible inclusion of Friktion in a future upgrade update or suite release.

motuscott

01 Sep 2020

I will wait to buy it until my sense of economy falters, at which point I just start buying stuff, no rhyme or Reason.
Usually I'm a pretty good anti consumerist, but I falls off the wagon now and again
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

MannequinRaces

01 Sep 2020

Super wary that new REs / Players will be included in another Suite update (R12 maybe) so unless I gotta have something really bad I’ll be waiting.

stratatonic

01 Sep 2020

Billy wrote:
01 Sep 2020
I wonder if anyone can get a message to Ryan or Mattias before today's stream to put us out of our misery over a possible inclusion of Friktion in a future upgrade update or suite release.
from facebook...

Friktion's not included in Reason Suite, no, and there are no such plans.
We don't know if there would be a Reason 12 Suite either, we're still evaluating the concept. There definitely won't be a Reason 12 this year though. /Mattias

guitfnky

01 Sep 2020

if they ever do include it in a future version of Reason, I very much doubt it will happen anytime soon. that’s the sort of thing they might include down the line, once the initial excitement wears off and their sales have steadied. and the chance that they’re going to tell us they plan to do something like that is maybe just a touch above zero.

I would be surprised if we even see it on sale before next year.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

stratatonic

01 Sep 2020

I just found out that this is 99 dollars USD. I had thought it was 109 because they are charging us Canadians 139 Dollars For Friktion.

Looks like Reason Studios just recently jacked up all their REs from 129 Canadian Dollars (99USD) to 139 Dollars. The current exchange rate 99USD is 129.

Companies like this curb my GAS for sure.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2020

stratatonic wrote:
01 Sep 2020
I just found out that this is 99 dollars USD. I had thought it was 109 because they are charging us Canadians 139 Dollars For Friktion.

Looks like Reason Studios just recently jacked up all their REs from 129 Canadian Dollars (99USD) to 139 Dollars. The current exchange rate 99USD is 129.

Yeah...for some reason €19 was a "why not and buy price" but €21 feels like a "better think about it first price". Weird.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Billy+

01 Sep 2020

stratatonic wrote:
01 Sep 2020
Billy wrote:
01 Sep 2020
from facebook...

Friktion's not included in Reason Suite, no, and there are no such plans.
We don't know if there would be a Reason 12 Suite either, we're still evaluating the concept. There definitely won't be a Reason 12 this year though. /Mattias
Yeah this was also posted in another thread, but unfortunately that's still not enough to convince me that it is true.

There is also a line on the product description

Please note: Friktion Modeled Strings requires Reason 10.1 or later and is not included in Reason 11 Suite.

Which is correct as it's not included in 11 suite, only it wouldn't be the first time I've purchased an expensive RE early only to see it get added to the next version or the version after. And I don't seem to be the only person that this marketing strategy has caused to start delaying purchases.

stratatonic

01 Sep 2020

MrFigg wrote:
01 Sep 2020
stratatonic wrote:
01 Sep 2020

Yeah...for some reason €19 was a "why not and buy price" but €21 feels like a "better think about it first price". Weird.
Apple can get away with the 40% exchange rate because they are shits.
If Reason Studios is happy with their additional 10% profit ream up the ass optics, good for them - I won't buy.
Last edited by stratatonic on 01 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2020

stratatonic wrote:
01 Sep 2020
MrFigg wrote:
01 Sep 2020

Apple can get away with the 40% exchange rate because they are shits.
If Reason Studios is happy with the additional 10% profit ream up the ass optics, good for them - I won't buy.
Well, and I’ve already said this before, when they upped the prices In the shop to “reflect exchange rates” they didn’t up our €50 Reward Vouchers to reflect said exchange rates. Not that I’d be using mine anyway.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

guitfnky

01 Sep 2020

if someone doesn’t want/need it now, they should wait to see if it goes on sale. if they do want/need it now, they should buy it now.

speculation is fun, but beyond that, trying to time purchasing choices on random personal predictions that are almost certainly going to be wrong is kind of silly.

Tiny Montgomery

01 Sep 2020

Nearly did but completed the Korg collection instead to satisfy the GAS, got the Triton for 115 GBP.

This got me tempted though:

colonel_mustard

01 Sep 2020

stratatonic wrote:
01 Sep 2020

Euro prices were bumped up from €99 to €109, which is about 170 Canadian (~130 USD). I realise this already includes the tax, which can be high (25% in Sweden, for instance, land of Reason) but I think it's still relatively more expensive in Europe, so don't feel too sore. I figure they're just sticking to prices ending in '9' and rounding everything up, which I kind of expect.

I might pick up Friktion half price somewhere down the line, or maybe use a reward voucher if that's a possibility, but it's a bit pricey imho. For now, I'm leaving demoing it until such a decision time rears its head. Plenty of other stuff in the box.

stratatonic

01 Sep 2020

colonel_mustard wrote:
01 Sep 2020
stratatonic wrote:
01 Sep 2020

Euro prices were bumped up from €99 to €109, which is about 170 Canadian (~130 USD). I realise this already includes the tax, which can be high (25% in Sweden, for instance, land of Reason) but I think it's still relatively more expensive in Europe, so don't feel too sore. I figure they're just sticking to prices ending in '9' and rounding everything up, which I kind of expect.

I might pick up Friktion half price somewhere down the line, or maybe use a reward voucher if that's a possibility, but it's a bit pricey imho. For now, I'm leaving demoing it until such a decision time rears its head. Plenty of other stuff in the box.
For sure, exchange rates suck all around.
At this point, I'll now purchase from companies that allow me to buy their products in US Dollars, so I don't get sucked into additional exchange rate shenanigans.
I used to be able to buy Propellerhead stuff in USD. Too bad they changed.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2020

Friktion might not get added to a R12 Suite version. But who knows, maybe they'll make a series/bundle with different physical modeling releases. Maybe "Luft" (Air in english) is next with a bunch of flute/brass sounds. Or a RE for natural sounding drums/percussion that isn't based on samples.
Just look at their history. Umpf (2 devices). A-list (4), Layers (2). You never know, a psysical modeling bundle could happen. They certainly aren't strangers to making RE bundles. Would be pretty cool.

guitfnky

01 Sep 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
01 Sep 2020
Friktion might not get added to a R12 Suite version. But who knows, maybe they'll make a series/bundle with different physical modeling releases. Maybe "Luft" (Air in english) is next with a bunch of flute/brass sounds. Or a RE for natural sounding drums/percussion that isn't based on samples.
Just look at their history. Umpf (2 devices). A-list (4), Layers (2). You never know, a psysical modeling bundle could happen. They certainly aren't strangers to making RE bundles. Would be pretty cool.
I really hope they do this. accurately-modeled flute/bassoon/sax/French horns would be an instant purchase for me, especially at such a low price-point (let’s be honest, $100-130 is a damn good deal compared to physically-modeled string VSTs). Friktion would be useful for me from time to time, but just not as appealing as some good woodwind/brass sounds.

ltbrunt00

01 Sep 2020

I own almost ten grand worth of Spitfire Audio orchestral libraries and all the swam strings(not to mention horns/sax) on top of other string products I have acquired over the years.

I think Friktion is unique and easily cuts through.

I love the fact that it is an RE which can be automated in crazy ways. This is like a true string synthesizer that sounds pretty dam good. I will buy it at full price once the trial runs out.

I sort of have to buy it now since I have been using it all over the place. I use strings in everything I make and variety helps me make sure nothing sounds the same.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

DaveyG

01 Sep 2020

If you are looking for the sound of synth strings or a string machine, this has possibilities (esp when the price halves in a sale sometime).
If you are looking for realistic strings then this ain't it.

BRIGGS

01 Sep 2020

I'll watch and wait.
r11s

aeox
Competition Winner

01 Sep 2020

DaveyG wrote:
01 Sep 2020
If you are looking for the sound of synth strings or a string machine, this has possibilities (esp when the price halves in a sale sometime).
If you are looking for realistic strings then this ain't it.

Not bad!

• Information