What features does Reason DAW have that others don't?

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
selig
RE Developer

31 Aug 2020

madmacman wrote:
31 Aug 2020
selig wrote:
31 Aug 2020
Bottom line: there are few (if any?) DAWs which have full built in mixers, let alone a legendary mixer, for better or worse.
Don't want to derail this thread, but this seems debatable - probably a matter of taste: mimicking retro hardware vs. having a common ground with faders + individual building blocks (plugins). Thinking of Logic, Cubase, and S1 here...
I wasn't advocating either approach, but put that way Reason has BOTH - you can use the SSL as a full mixer, or just use the faders and individual building blocks (plugins) if you prefer. And I DO advocate more options rather than less as a general rule.
Selig Audio, LLC

selig
RE Developer

31 Aug 2020

EnochLight wrote:
31 Aug 2020
Alas, this stopped being a thing when the Line6 amps were removed, breaking all Reason 6.0 - 8.0 projects in later versions.
I'm probably not the only person to say this, but not "all Reason 6.0 - 8.0 projects" are broken by the Line 6 amp removal. I've personally only seen this happen once or twice to me, but I fully realize other folks have experienced this far more often.

I'm just saying not "ALL projects" are automatically broken by this change. :)
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

31 Aug 2020

It can host rack extensions.

BRIGGS

31 Aug 2020

For me...No other daw, is more like a musical instrument.
r11s

demt

31 Aug 2020

Tis most pretty my luvlys
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

jjkjjk

31 Aug 2020

LOW cpu usage

Jackjackdaw

31 Aug 2020

The players are the defining feature for me , midi fx in other DAWs are nothing like as deep and feature rich.

Then the integration, the pattern lanes in the sequencer are way more convenient than automation lanes for changing patterns.

The sampler buttons on devices, and the way it implements the sample pool in the project and makes you save the samples externally if you want to create a preset. It's the best system I have used for resampling and saving samples.

plesio

31 Aug 2020

Maybe I am wrong, but for me the Reason Rack is the ultimate modular synth.

If someone thinks the cabling is annoying... I just don´t agree.

I consider the cables to be the maximum freedom of sound design.
:reason: R11 Suite & R+, what else. I just love it. https://soundcloud.com/user-543016572
Ultimate mixing noob with medical certified lowpass at 9,6 kHz :(
Music is that certain noise you can remember three minutes later...and vice versa.

EnochLight

31 Aug 2020

mcatalao wrote:
31 Aug 2020
I don't agree with this.

Line 6 is not available, but backwards compatibility isn't broken at all.
It is 100% broken if you care about your audio sounding the exact same as it did when you made it in Reason 6-8 using the Line6 amps.
guitfnky wrote:
31 Aug 2020
but I think EnochLight’s point is that it’s not going to sound the same as it did, which is a really important thing when you’re talking about audio. in that sense, it does break backward compatibility, because it changes the audible result. semantics, absolutely—but important semantics, for some.
^^ THIS ^^
selig wrote:
31 Aug 2020
I'm probably not the only person to say this, but not "all Reason 6.0 - 8.0 projects" are broken by the Line 6 amp removal. I've personally only seen this happen once or twice to me, but I fully realize other folks have experienced this far more often.

I'm just saying not "ALL projects" are automatically broken by this change. :)
See my comments above. :)

That said, I don't want to derail the thread. And yes - I realize you can still open your 6-8 projects in 11 and they'll open just fine (which is pretty incredible in all honesty). It's just shitty that they won't sound the same, is all.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

jwd606

31 Aug 2020

jjkjjk wrote:
31 Aug 2020
LOW cpu usage
Not on a Mac. Logic can run far more tracks. And using the RRP in Logic has lower cpu usage than running the equivalent in Reason itself.

Mint

31 Aug 2020

Zac wrote:
31 Aug 2020
At the beginning and still (to a lesser extent)...

DR OCTAREX

very handy
Ooo it's more than handy...it's inspiration!

Marco Raaphorst

31 Aug 2020

I like the tracking in Reason, being able to cycle record and slice the best parts. In Ableton Live this works way more inconvenient.

I've bought so many DAWs over the years. Cubase, Nuendo, Cakewalk (hated it). I think if I would start again, now, I would buy Logic. So cheap and so powerful.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2020

EnochLight wrote:
31 Aug 2020
mcatalao wrote:
31 Aug 2020
I don't agree with this.

Line 6 is not available, but backwards compatibility isn't broken at all.
It is 100% broken if you care about your audio sounding the exact same as it did when you made it in Reason 6-8 using the Line6 amps.
I understand your problem, I don't agree it's a matter of backwards compatibility or a project being broken.
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

dvdrtldg

31 Aug 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
31 Aug 2020
Add/remove instruments/effects without pausing the audio stream
With REs yes, but I've stopped doing it with VSTs. Too crashy

EnochLight

31 Aug 2020

mcatalao wrote:
31 Aug 2020
I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.
Agreed! :puf_smile: :thumbs_up:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

31 Aug 2020

- "end of life" vs. "dead" vs. "unsupported, but not dead"

- "100% broken" vs. "not broken because it still opens" vs. "compatible, but modified"

glass-puppy

31 Aug 2020

It makes me feel more experimental. More sound designy lol.

selig
RE Developer

31 Aug 2020

EnochLight wrote:
31 Aug 2020
That said, I don't want to derail the thread. And yes - I realize you can still open your 6-8 projects in 11 and they'll open just fine (which is pretty incredible in all honesty). It's just shitty that they won't sound the same, is all.
But they DO sound exactly the same, at least for me in all but 1-2 cases! :)

I have had a similar amount of songs lost to file corruption over the almost 20 years of using Reason, out of thousands if not tens of thousands of songs.

And to keep more on topic, this ability to open every song you ever made and have it sound 100% the same (with exceptions for songs using the Line6 amps) is something ONLY Reason can claim, as well as it's ability to almost guarantee robust file security.
EnochLight wrote:
31 Aug 2020
I agree that in that very narrowly defined case it is 100% broken. But that's like saying I'm 100% correct if you exclude only the times I've been wrong…
Selig Audio, LLC

diminished
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2020

Pitch Edit in the sequencer. Many DAWs can do it, but none does it like Reason and I absolutely love it. I'm currently getting into Cubase - while it's immensely more powerful, PE mode will be missed dearly.
:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

motuscott

31 Aug 2020

The stability thing is huge but invisible. I don't save until I've finished working or want a back up at a particular point. That's pretty amazing.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

jlgrimes

31 Aug 2020

deeplink wrote:
31 Aug 2020
Off the top of my head I can think of:
SSL mixer
Fully integrated spectrum eq
Expansive CV and Audio routing
Rack Extensions
Compared with Ableton.

A decent takes system
A decent pitch editor
A decent Autotune like effect
Arguably Dollar for Dollar a better Factory Library (in terms of synths and samplers)
Arguably Better Quality Timestretching
In certain cases better effects (arguably)

Compared with Reaper

Better Instruments
Arguably more Inspiring Effects
A more user friendly Pitch Editor
More user friendly Midi editing
Generally more user friendly program

Compared with Studio One

Better Instruments
In certain areas better effects
More user friendly Midi editor (Slightly and Arguably)

mcatalao
Competition Winner

31 Aug 2020

motuscott wrote:
31 Aug 2020
The stability thing is huge but invisible. I don't save until I've finished working or want a back up at a particular point. That's pretty amazing.
Carefull. I've lost projects because of working 3 or 4 hours in a row without saving. I started forcing me to create projects and save before working. I now have folders where my first song iteration is a timestamp.

Cubase, forces you to define a project once you create it. TBH i'd like to see that in reason, even if your hd gets 100000 files called document_mmddaa_hhmmss.

Jackjackdaw

31 Aug 2020

motuscott wrote:
31 Aug 2020
Agreed. I would 100% trust Reason as my only sound source in a live set.

guitfnky

31 Aug 2020

diminished wrote:
31 Aug 2020
Pitch Edit in the sequencer. Many DAWs can do it, but none does it like Reason and I absolutely love it. I'm currently getting into Cubase - while it's immensely more powerful, PE mode will be missed dearly.
Reason’s pitch editing is very similar to how Digital Performers works. it’s legitimately surprising to me that that’s not how most major DAWs handle pitch editing.

one of the coolest things about DP’s pitch editing is that you can manually draw in pitch correction, or use shapes (like a sine wave to draw in vibrato).
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

guitfnky

31 Aug 2020

motuscott wrote:
31 Aug 2020
couldn’t agree more. Reason is more stable than a horse barn thing.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information