Adding gain on master channel

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
bieh

30 Aug 2020

Oh, sorry! I adapted it from a setup I use to switch between multiple signal pathways for effects, but yes, I realise it's unhelpful because even if you want the option to set up groups of mastering effects to turn off separately, you could just do that here by chaining Combinators and using the bypass switches on the separate groups. I'd love to delete my post if I could.
Last edited by bieh on 30 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.

bieh

30 Aug 2020

Selig, I'd like to say thanks for your detailed explanations in this thread. I'd seen a previous post of yours about where the master fader and/or master bus compressor sit within the Reason signal flow, as well as your post-master-section mastering, and needed a revision of it. It's definitely something that needs to be pointed out, and when I saw you had joined this thread, I felt you might cover it again, and wasn't disappointed.

I agree that you would think the master fader would be the place to do a song fade-out, so it is a kind of non-intuitive thing about Reason that the Master Section is at the same time the default place for mastering templates. The dilemma about high-pass filtering to the master bus compressor is an added complication.

I gather you really like the built-in master bus compressor. Unless I was set on using that, my preferred solution would be putting the mastering chain in the Master Section, with any "pre-mastering" compression at the start of it. But I also understand the way your set-up makes a clearer distinction between mixing and mastering, and your explanation provides a great way to think through the set-up options.

Like the OP, I tend to leave the master fader at unity, but do like to use the clipping indicators that are with it, so that's another reason for me to do mastering inside the Master Section. (Not that I've attempted a lot of mastering yet!)

(It's news to me that adding anything after the master section disables the clipping indicators with the master fader. Interesting. Reason is the only DAW I've used. Is that normal for DAWs? It's intriguing given that the Master Fader itself is "post everything", as you say.)

• Information