Brand new Reason Studios Instrument : Friktion Strings

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
EnochLight

26 Aug 2020

Mint wrote:
26 Aug 2020
chaosroyale wrote:
26 Aug 2020
Cool instrument. First impressions from the video and the sound samples -

It looks horrific. If they add some alternative color schemes it would be better (lol, updates - who am I kidding).

Interesting how peoples taste differ. Think the colour theme's a good choice. Although alt skins are always welcome.
Yeah, I've noticed that. I like the color scheme - it looks fine to my eyes (and the layout is very easy to understand). But some are finding it grating, which is interesting. On an aside, I can't agree at all with the comparisons to the 30+ year old program color schemes - it's not even remotely close. :o :shock: :?
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Marco Raaphorst

26 Aug 2020

MattiasHG wrote:
26 Aug 2020
challism wrote:
26 Aug 2020
I, too, would love to see audio access to the resonator section as an effect. That is a missed opportunity. We don't have many resonators available, really. Kong has something, Radical Pianos and Turn2On has an RE. I think that's about it, isn't it?
Regarding the resonator, it's in many ways one of the least interesting things about Friktion. It's using convolution so it's equivalent of using RV7000 mk2, that and panel space is why we didn't add audio i/o. As a side note, you can try other resonators by adding an RV7000 mk2 after Friktion and setting the internal resonator to DRY—tons of fun! :)
Yes love that! Scream 4 as body resonator works nicely on Friktion.

buddard
RE Developer

26 Aug 2020

challism wrote:
26 Aug 2020
I, too, would love to see audio access to the resonator section as an effect. That is a missed opportunity. We don't have many resonators available, really. Kong has something, Radical Pianos and Turn2On has an RE. I think that's about it, isn't it?
Resonans would like to have a word with you. ;-)

It has audio inputs for both the physical model itself (string or modal resonator) and the FX section.

joeyluck

26 Aug 2020

buddard wrote:
26 Aug 2020
challism wrote:
26 Aug 2020

It has audio inputs for both the physical model itself (string or modal resonator) and the FX section.
I have so much fun with this! I like to setup my mic and use my desk and other objects to trigger the sound :) I have a Cherub violin pickup (clip on contact mic) that I also use that works well for this.

bitley

26 Aug 2020

Pelle Jubel demonstrated an early version of this for me in 2001-2002 – and I sealed my lips – and I was wondering for a long time if it would come out as something for Reason. As it had emerged before on his hardware creation the Nordlead as "Pelles Mode", it was something he'd worked on for quite a number of years. And now Friktion is released; goes to show that things aren't rushed out :-)

challism

26 Aug 2020

buddard wrote:
26 Aug 2020
challism wrote:
26 Aug 2020

D'oh! How could I overlook Resonans! I feel like such a turd. Deepest apologies to Robotic Bean. Resonans remains one of my favorite synths, and it doesn't get enough love, as it was the first physical modeling synth in the shop.
MattiasHG wrote:
26 Aug 2020
Regarding the resonator, it's in many ways one of the least interesting things about Friktion. It's using convolution so it's equivalent of using RV7000 mk2, that and panel space is why we didn't add audio i/o. As a side note, you can try other resonators by adding an RV7000 mk2 after Friktion and setting the internal resonator to DRY—tons of fun! :)
Fair enough. I'll have to give that DRY tip a try.
Now how about those extra mod matrix slots? Pretty please??
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

ravasb

26 Aug 2020

I continue to like this, but with no intro price I am going to wait to buy it. I will at least wait the 30 days, but more than likely I will wait longer to see if I really miss it. If there had been a discount I probably would have jumped immediately, so I suppose I should thank RS for helping me show some restraint.

ltbrunt00

26 Aug 2020

I own all the Swam strings and I think Friktion is rock solid. I like the sound of Swam Violins, cello & Bass are better but Friktion sound is nice to. Using Friktion along with my Spitfire String libraries and other Swam instruments Friktion cuts through the mix easily. I am a fan of the RE format and think this is one of the best tools The Props I mean Reason Studios have created to date. I am doing the Trial right now & will buy it after the trial ends. I sort of have to buy it now since I have been using it in a few different projects already.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

rcbuse
RE Developer

27 Aug 2020

I think I'm going to have to dust off the patch generator for this one....

ARAlife

27 Aug 2020

Just say one thing... powerful

tiker01

27 Aug 2020

rcbuse wrote:
27 Aug 2020
Eagerly waiting for the results. Would it be possible to sort the patches based on the value of key parameters like plucked vs bowed?

Budapest, Hungary
Reason 11 Suite
Lenovo ThinkPad e520 Win10x64 8GB RAM Intel i5-2520M 2,5-3,2 GHz and AMD 6630M with 1GB of memory.
:rt: :reason: :essentials: :re: :refill: :PUF_balance: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

challism

27 Aug 2020

rcbuse wrote:
27 Aug 2020
Great idea! I'm so excited to hear the wonderfully strange patches you generate on this one. Thanks again for all the previous patches you have generated for us.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

sdst
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2020

sounds really good, I prefer this than heavy samples

it would be good to use the mouse scroll wheel on this knobs

seqoi

27 Aug 2020

I am very sorry (just kidding) to inform you that:

1. I have pretty much all PM string instruments, AAS, Reaktor, REs etc. yet this one beat them all
2. Sound and articulation is pretty much best to this date
3. GUI is fantastic
4. 5 and 6 this instrument actually reminds me of that somewhat lost Reason spirit. When I say that I mean at that time when Reason was VERY  innovative and each new instrument was added sparingly and  expanded Reason in different ways.

Good job props. This is my next purchase.

Mint

27 Aug 2020

seqoi wrote:
27 Aug 2020
I am very sorry (just kidding) to inform you that:

1. I have pretty much all PM string instruments, AAS, Reaktor, REs etc. yet this one beat them all
2. Sound and articulation is pretty much best to this date
3. GUI is fantastic
4. 5 and 6 this instrument actually reminds me of that somewhat lost Reason spirit. When I say that I mean at that time when Reason was VERY  innovative and each new instrument was added sparingly and  expanded Reason in different ways.

Good job props. This is my next purchase.

Yip agreed with some of your points, apart from the purchase bit. £100 price tag, seems a bit steep.

ltbrunt00

27 Aug 2020

Even though we all want these big improvements to the Reason DAW I do appreciate these unique instruments.

Can you do something like this for the Guitar?

With what you learned from making Friktion your next device in this series will be better.

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2020

ltbrunt00 wrote:
27 Aug 2020
Even though we all want these big improvements to the Reason DAW I do appreciate these unique instruments.

With what you learned from making Friktion your next device in this series will be better.
This can make guitar sounds too :thumbs_up:

ltbrunt00

27 Aug 2020

aeox wrote:
27 Aug 2020
ltbrunt00 wrote:
27 Aug 2020

This can make guitar sounds too :thumbs_up:
No doubt but I kind of what something geared towards guitars with Amp simulations, effect pedals, Pickups, picking articulations, fretboard locations and strumming. I love using Evolution Acoustic and Impact soundworks shreddag3 plugins but would rather have all this in a nice all in one package. No more new guitar bass plugins since I have to many VST bass programs that sound nice enough.

guitfnky

27 Aug 2020

ltbrunt00 wrote:
27 Aug 2020
as someone who’s been really vocal about wanting core DAW improvements, I still couldn’t agree more. their devices are always interesting in unexpected ways, and always sound great—even if they may not fit in with the types of tools one might normally go for.

that said, Mattias chimed in somewhere (this thread, maybe?) to point out that the teams that work on new devices are generally separate from those working on the core experience. here’s hoping that means pretty soon we’ll get to enjoy the best of both worlds!
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

RoryM0

27 Aug 2020

This genuinely looks like an amazing synth, truly an instrument. An instrument made from software. Really cool stuff - would love to see the MIDI control and expression on display here find its way into future instruments, perhaps available on a matrix and/or CV outs too - maybe even as a standalone player.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

27 Aug 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
26 Aug 2020
...YFW OcataMED Pro from 1989 had a better Sample editor than Reason in 2020.
Loque wrote:
26 Aug 2020
I was just thinking, that the color scheme reminded me on something...and than i had it:

os13_2gr.gif
Many of the tools from 90's were super capable actually. Just something as simple as redraw the waveform to remove a click was golden, now I can't even change the volume of a sample... No envelopes... Madness...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

moneykube

27 Aug 2020

Mint wrote:
27 Aug 2020
Yip agreed with some of your points, apart from the purchase bit. £100 price tag, seems a bit steep.
139 CAD,,, up there indeed
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

moneykube

27 Aug 2020

rcbuse wrote:
27 Aug 2020
oh my... now I will have to get it lol... but Black Friday is coming... one can hope.
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

CephaloPod

27 Aug 2020

First RE I've contemplated buying in quite some time. Trying not to spend money on REs though.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

Faastwalker

28 Aug 2020

moneykube wrote:
27 Aug 2020
but Black Friday is coming... one can hope.
CephaloPod wrote:
27 Aug 2020
First RE I've contemplated buying in quite some time. Trying not to spend money on REs though.
Black Friday is a way off yet. I rarely buy new RE's without an intro price for fear of the inevitable sale.

But this one is a bit special so may well have to jump on Friktion post TRY period. I think it's awesome :thumbs_up:

• Information