Introducing Dual CV Source

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Andrew Russell

25 Aug 2020

Everything you could ever want to do to modulate a CV signal, packed into a single 1U device!

Shop: https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... cv-source/
Blog post: http://andrewrussell.net/2020/08/introd ... cv-source/
User manual: http://andrewrussell.net/content/2020/0 ... Manual.pdf

Use Dual CV Source as a...
  • Static CV source
  • Digital CV meter and note display
  • Attenuverter
  • VCA
  • Polyphonic MIDI-to-CV converter
  • Performance-to-CV converter (Pitch Bend, Modulation, etc.)
  • Sample-and-Hold / Track-and-Hold
  • Quantizer
  • Logic and Maths unit
  • Random number generator
  • Up to 12-output CV splitter
There’s a lot to this device, so if you’re still curious about what Dual CV Source can do, check out the user manual or watch this demo video:

Also check out Double Dry/Wet and Velocity Curve

PS: Thanks to the folks who helped me with beta-testing :thumbs_up:
Last edited by Andrew Russell on 09 Sep 2020, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2020

Very cool. The mayhem you can create with this is unbelievable. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

challism

25 Aug 2020

Yeah, this does look cool. Only 3 minutes into the demo video and I'm questioning my prior belief that I don't need any more CV devices. This looks fun, experimental and useful.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

MrFigg
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2020

challism wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Yeah, this does look cool. Only 3 minutes into the demo video and I'm questioning my prior belief that I don't need any more CV devices. This looks fun, experimental and useful.
S’what I thought too :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Loque

25 Aug 2020

Interesting and quite mighty. I am mostly interested in the Quantizer and the Random function. Guess it will take some time to understand this thing...

I didnt wanted to say it, but i cannot resist: The orange rounded edges are ugly and does not fit the rest of the good visual feedback of the device.
Reason12, Win10

Andrew Russell

25 Aug 2020

Loque wrote:
25 Aug 2020
I didnt wanted to say it, but i cannot resist: The orange rounded edges are ugly and does not fit the rest of the good visual feedback of the device.
Appreciate the feedback. I was going for a "multimeter" theme, although I'm not sure how well that has come across. Not many long, thin multimeters out there ;)

I'd like to make the border colour customisable, as I expect there will be people with many instances of Dual CV Source in their rack, wanting to differentiate them. I'm looking into ways to do this for an update -- although such a thing will be a little way off.

Loque

25 Aug 2020

Andrew Russell wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Loque wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Appreciate the feedback. I was going for a "multimeter" theme, although I'm not sure how well that has come across. Not many long, thin multimeters out there ;)

I'd like to make the border colour customisable, as I expect there will be people with many instances of Dual CV Source in their rack, wanting to differentiate them. I'm looking into ways to do this for an update -- although such a thing will be a little way off.
The colorizing thing may work. Maybe you can remove the rounded corners a bit. I mean, it should look a bit like some LCD type device and they normally dont have rounded corners. But hey, thats just my taste and i can live the look if the function is right :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

25 Aug 2020

I think it looks fantastic! I might be biased for having used a multimeter a lot the last couple of months due to picking up my soldering hobby again. :D

guitfnky

25 Aug 2020

love the look, including the rounded corners. it’s good to have some outside the box GUI designs in the rack. looks super useful too! I’ll have to check this one out.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

colonel_mustard

25 Aug 2020

Just watched the demo - this looks amazing! Hands are a bit full for now, but it's firmly on the radar. Congratulations on the release :)

Bes
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2020

really impressed by this, looking forward to digging into it
- Certified Reason expert

16161d

25 Aug 2020

This is everything I've ever wanted in a CV rack extension, in exactly the size I've wanted so it's not too intrusive, and with a beautiful UI and innovative design, the use of the 4 cv outs on the back with selectable functions packs a massive amount of features into this device, definitely not one to judge by it's cover even if you're not into the design, or if you think the front panel isn't offering much.

You would pay many times more to get all these features in separate existing RE's, and maybe individual RE's focusing on one feature might get you more, but simply adding a second Dual CV device and having it further manipulate your signal will get you even further still. Thank you for putting the time and effort into getting all this packed into one RE rather than flooding the store with more individual modules, I hope your efforts pay off well as this is definitely a top addition to the rack and I look forward to seeing what you bring next as your previous RE's were also refreshing additions to the store.

Crumbfort

25 Aug 2020

Dope! Will definitely be picking this up. Nicely done!
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

Faastwalker

25 Aug 2020

Oh yes! Right up my street this one. As soon as I saw it my eyes lit up thinking Dual CV Source > Expert Sleepers ES-3 > Eurorack :shock: Reason to ES-3, via RoboticBean's CV output device, has been a revelation. This kind of device thrown into the mix has a lot of potential beyond the rack. Very cool ;)

MannequinRaces

25 Aug 2020

Love the GUI. Looking forward to trying this one out.

EdGrip

26 Aug 2020

Glad the multimeter theme is deliberate and not just a fluke.

Sterioevo

26 Aug 2020

EdGrip wrote:
26 Aug 2020
Ohms law...

Andrew Russell

26 Aug 2020

EdGrip wrote:
26 Aug 2020
:problem:

geronimo

26 Aug 2020

Loque wrote:
25 Aug 2020
The orange rounded edges are ugly and does not fit the rest of the good visual feedback of the device.
It is precisely this aspect that I find pleasant and breaking geometric habits . Image

16161d

26 Aug 2020

One suggestion that would make this an even more complete all in one CV device for me, though I don't know if it would clash too much with the aesthetics or form factor of the current design, is to have the 2 CV values also displayed when the device is collapsed, like some other CV meters do.

doze

26 Aug 2020

Andrew Russell wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Loque wrote:
25 Aug 2020

I thought multimetre the moment I saw it. 8)

Bes
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2020

when does the introductory sale end?
- Certified Reason expert

selig
RE Developer

26 Aug 2020

Just watched the video, seems like my kind of device - can't wait to trial it!
Selig Audio, LLC

Andrew Russell

27 Aug 2020

Really thrilled to hear all of the positive feedback! Thank you everyone! :D
16161d wrote:
26 Aug 2020
One suggestion that would make this an even more complete all in one CV device for me, though I don't know if it would clash too much with the aesthetics or form factor of the current design, is to have the 2 CV values also displayed when the device is collapsed, like some other CV meters do.
This was definitely something that I tried. You'll notice the rear mini displays are exactly the right height for it, too. And there's a big space in the middle where they could go.

The problem is as follows: You really want a way to turn the displays off, particularly in a collapsed view, for certain kinds of signals. Otherwise you get almost-useless data flickering at you, and it can get annoying/distracting. Originally the mini-displays had a third "off" mode to cover this situation. But the trick I use for changing the mini display mode does not work on a collapsed panel.

I tried a few alternatives, and the best one ended up being just removing them and having the collapsed panel itself be the "display off" mode. It was pretty painful to delete them at the time, but now I think there's a certain niceness to having a "quiet" area in the UI.

(On a related note, while I'm talking design, the reason that the digital display's frame-rate is relatively low is not just to save CPU -- it also turns out that it makes the device much easier on the eyes to have it update slowly.)
Bes wrote:
26 Aug 2020
when does the introductory sale end?
Late Sunday September 6, or very early Monday September 7, depending on your timezone. A little bit over a week from today.

• Information