Brand new Reason Studios Instrument : Friktion Strings

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
joeyluck

25 Aug 2020

ryanharlin wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Loque wrote:
25 Aug 2020

And Ryan said, he has no influence in new features...Here we go...
Let me tell you, though!!.... if I did have influence that "banjo" would be an actual banjo!!! It's got six strings, a wide neck, and no 5th string peg. That my friends is a banjitar.

And sure, the resonating chamber is the same so it makes no sonic difference but I'm gearing up a letter writing campaign and marches in the streets to get a Friktion update with new line art!! :lol:
Haha! Hey while you're at it, please add the 'articulation' section to that campaign lol. That should be 'expression' or 'dynamics'... Bowing, pluck, pizzicato, col legno, etc. would be considered articulations. And also 'doubling'...3 and 4 players is doubling? That could maybe be 'stacking' or 'ensemble'. And also the 'x2, x3, x4' is a bit weird paired with 'doubling'...makes me think x4 means 8 (as in "doubling x4"), but it means 4 total...

I have other functionality requests, but those are the ones that fit best with the banjo art/naming request :)

Crumbfort

25 Aug 2020

Looks like a fun instrument! Don't think I would use it myself for more realistic string lines (pretty set with a plethora of kontakt libs) but this looks great for sound design fun/layering.

On that note, I'm a bit bummed that the matrix mixer only has 4 slots and that there are only 2 CV inputs. Can get four more via a combinator (combinator 2.0 where are you?! :( ) but that still seems pretty limiting (in my very subjective opinion) for a device that sounds pretty great for tweaking/modulation.

I also really dig the look and layout!
Descent: Legends of the Dark // Darkeport Productions // The LotR: ACG // Blue Zones (Netflix) // Chef's Table (Netflix)

(Composer for visual media / Adeptus Mechanicus Synthseer)

zero-13

25 Aug 2020

Dang it!

Have StringWERK, Presence, and novice skill level, so definitely do not need, getting Friktion anyway. My mildly self delusional justification, "MOAR settings & stuff". :redface:

Sigh, I acknowledge I have a problem. :puf_bigsmile:

zero-13

25 Aug 2020

Did I find a bug or encounter, and then lose the fight to my dumbness?

So just a moment ago first test, I start with initial Friktion patch "Violin Solo (Mod Wheel)" works beautifully.

Then I hook up Pulsar LFO1 CVOut 1 to Friktion Mod Wheel input... works as expected for a moment then no sound out of Friktion, I disconnect Pulsar and delete, and never get sound back out of this instance of Friktion.

Replacing or deleting and dropping in a new instance of Friktion, sound is back.

I'm almost 100% certain it's something I'm wrecking but just in case giving the heads up to see if it can be reproduced, or someone can kindly point out the PEBKAC. :puf_bigsmile:

cgijoe

25 Aug 2020

ryanharlin wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Loque wrote:
25 Aug 2020

And Ryan said, he has no influence in new features...Here we go...
Let me tell you, though!!.... if I did have influence that "banjo" would be an actual banjo!!! It's got six strings, a wide neck, and no 5th string peg. That my friends is a banjitar.

And sure, the resonating chamber is the same so it makes no sonic difference but I'm gearing up a letter writing campaign and marches in the streets to get a Friktion update with new line art!! :lol:
Careful what you wish for Ryan. I'm now #5thstringpeg and ready to fuel the flames in demanding whatever pro-Ryan/pro-Reason upgrade (lol) that we could possibly deserve!

Faastwalker

25 Aug 2020

Very nice. I'd definitely like to have this sound source in my rack. I have the StringWERK RE. Really like it. But this one takes it to a new level with the physical modelling. Very nice. I think if this was part of the Suite it would be the tipping point for me to buy the 11 Suite Upgrade ;)

joeyluck

25 Aug 2020

zero-13 wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Dang it!

Have StringWERK, Presence, and novice skill level, so definitely do not need, getting Friktion anyway. My mildly self delusional justification, "MOAR settings & stuff". :redface:

Sigh, I acknowledge I have a problem. :puf_bigsmile:
StringWERK is great, but this offers something different. For me it really shines with pluck sounds, pads, and interesting Combinators.

joeyluck

25 Aug 2020

Crumbfort wrote:
25 Aug 2020
...I'm a bit bummed that the matrix mixer only has 4 slots
Agreed. More mod matrix slots please! :)

MonsterRadioMan

25 Aug 2020

I'm really digging it so far. Although, I can't help but think there's a missed oppurtunity by not having audio inputs. I feel like the resonator section would make an awesome effect, sort of like Corpus for Ableton.

Bes
Competition Winner

25 Aug 2020

zero-13 wrote:
25 Aug 2020

So just a moment ago first test, I start with initial Friktion patch "Violin Solo (Mod Wheel)" works beautifully.

Then I hook up Pulsar LFO1 CVOut 1 to Friktion Mod Wheel input... works as expected for a moment then no sound out of Friktion, I disconnect Pulsar and delete, and never get sound back out of this instance of Friktion.

Replacing or deleting and dropping in a new instance of Friktion, sound is back.

I'm almost 100% certain it's something I'm wrecking but just in case giving the heads up to see if it can be reproduced, or someone can kindly point out the PEBKAC. :puf_bigsmile:
this is a bug for sure. i'm pretty sure its happening when the cv is trying to take the modwheel into negative values.
- Certified Reason expert

gbuck

25 Aug 2020

Attachments
frankenstein 2 (640x494).jpg
frankenstein 2 (640x494).jpg (88.95 KiB) Viewed 2799 times

zero-13

25 Aug 2020

Bes wrote:
25 Aug 2020
zero-13 wrote:
25 Aug 2020

this is a bug for sure. i'm pretty sure its happening when the cv is trying to take the modwheel into negative values.
Thank you for scoping this out and confirming!

Your deduction sounds 100% right to this noob, when I hook up Pulsar with Friktion Mod Wheel all the way up, it does not perma-stop as it does when connected at default down position.

I’m glad that my ignorance led me to try something that is probably not at all necessary or intuitive given the options the instrument has built in, and hopefully that helped in a Mr. Magoo sort of way. 😅

I’m so glad I pulled the trigger on Friktion, it is indeed fantastic!

Loque

26 Aug 2020

joeyluck wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Crumbfort wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Thank god i am not the only one that says this... They mentioned, "you can use the Combinator" for more modulation stuff...wtf? The Combinator is NOT per note, it is monophonic!
Reason12, Win10

chaosroyale

26 Aug 2020

Cool instrument. First impressions from the video and the sound samples -

It looks horrific. If they add some alternative color schemes it would be better (lol, updates - who am I kidding).

As for the sound, some people have been comparing it to SWAM (usually unfavorably) but they are missing the point. No - of course it doesn't sound like real strings, none of these kinds of plugins ever do. But it gives composers a way to make sounds that "feel like" real instruments, with a wide variety of expressions and tone colors, ranging from "real-ish" to "fantasy". Composers of "hybrid" type soundtracks will love it.

Articulation and expression is sorely missing from most synth music, so this kind of instrument might help DAW-based composers think more about how they actually play music.

The ability to mix-and-match various kinds of strings and bodies, makes it a sound-design tool in a way that SWAM, dedicated to recreating particular instruments, is not.

Downsides - well, the complete abandonment of dedicated CV inputs by Reason Studios since R10 is a fucking mystery to me. The Matrix is much too small to make up for that.

Well, we can use the Combinator! For a tweaky, performance-based instrument like this, probably 8 faders or knobs will be enough...oh....

Shortcomings aside, honestly this seems like one of the better RE devices, despite looking like a toy.

moneykube

26 Aug 2020

joeyluck wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Crumbfort wrote:
25 Aug 2020
yes please ^^^^^^ 139 CAD hmmm
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

willy_dinglefinger

26 Aug 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
25 Aug 2020
As long as there's a Reason something I'll be happy enough. I know I always say it but despite all my other options the Reason DAW is my go to. Actually can't believe how much music I've written in it over the last few years.
I originally upgraded to Reason 11 to use the Rack VST within Reaper, but then it was actually one of your videos Paul that inspired me to use Reason as my sole DAW and now I'm hooked and won't use anything else.

Anyway not tried Friktion yet but the examples in this thread and on YouTube sound really good. Can't see myself coughing up for it (yet) but nonetheless it sounds very musical and quite interesting.
Hypernormalise forum signatures :reason:

Popey
Competition Winner

26 Aug 2020

Looking forward to demoing this. Kinda disappointed to see the carpet beater didn't make the final version but at least 808 made the cut.

With the carpet beater going my expectations of ever seeing the suktion expansion pack are diminished I guess ryan😂.

On a serious note this does look good.

Loque

26 Aug 2020

I was just thinking, that the color scheme reminded me on something...and than i had it:

os13_2gr.gif
os13_2gr.gif (16.59 KiB) Viewed 2664 times
Reason12, Win10

Yonatan

26 Aug 2020

sinusfiction wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Okay, very nice, will try! But what I really want is this for Brass :puf_bigsmile:
Yes! I second that. I love that RS are seeing how well physical modeling suits the Reason environment. And being on laptop, it is so good not having tons of gb of sampled instruments. Much about creating compelling tunes is to do with expression anyway, not how large the files are.

chaosroyale

26 Aug 2020

...YFW OcataMED Pro from 1989 had a better Sample editor than Reason in 2020.
Loque wrote:
26 Aug 2020
I was just thinking, that the color scheme reminded me on something...and than i had it:

os13_2gr.gif

Jagwah

26 Aug 2020

Awesome to see some cool innovation from Reason Studios, it looks like it is being very well received too.

GUI is fresh and modern, really like it and will demo it soon.

What a startling contrast in the video when we jumped to the outdated sequencer. :o

Loque

26 Aug 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
26 Aug 2020
...YFW OcataMED Pro from 1989 had a better Sample editor than Reason in 2020.
Loque wrote:
26 Aug 2020

os13_2gr.gif
QuadraComposer could edit a sample in 3D. In 3D!!! Nearly 30 years ago!

https___i.pinimg.com_originals_3c_6c_9c_3c6c9cf2b2b63121a6ee3b38bf9c241c.png
https___i.pinimg.com_originals_3c_6c_9c_3c6c9cf2b2b63121a6ee3b38bf9c241c.png (73.29 KiB) Viewed 2645 times
Reason12, Win10

challism

26 Aug 2020

joeyluck wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Crumbfort wrote:
25 Aug 2020
If room is an issue, they could borrow the idea of multiple pages of mod matrix slots (such as Nostromo, Torsion). This really does need more matrix slots. I can't believe it only has 4. This instrument is screaming for tiny modulation tweaks as it is played. :(

I, too, would love to see audio access to the resonator section as an effect. That is a missed opportunity. We don't have many resonators available, really. Kong has something, Radical Pianos and Turn2On has an RE. I think that's about it, isn't it?

I hope RS will add these things. Regardless, I still love this synth. I think it sounds incredible. The amount of control you have in changing the sound is amazing. It should blow away every sound library out there.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Mint

26 Aug 2020

chaosroyale wrote:
26 Aug 2020
Cool instrument. First impressions from the video and the sound samples -

It looks horrific. If they add some alternative color schemes it would be better (lol, updates - who am I kidding).

Interesting how peoples taste differ. Think the colour theme's a good choice. Although alt skins are always welcome.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

26 Aug 2020

challism wrote:
26 Aug 2020
I, too, would love to see audio access to the resonator section as an effect. That is a missed opportunity. We don't have many resonators available, really. Kong has something, Radical Pianos and Turn2On has an RE. I think that's about it, isn't it?
Regarding the resonator, it's in many ways one of the least interesting things about Friktion. It's using convolution so it's equivalent of using RV7000 mk2, that and panel space is why we didn't add audio i/o. As a side note, you can try other resonators by adding an RV7000 mk2 after Friktion and setting the internal resonator to DRY—tons of fun! :)

• Information