Undo suggestion

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
turpinjack

20 Aug 2020

I' m going to use the contact form to suggest this to Props, but I wonder if anyone else sees this as a problem. It's bothered me since Version 1. I'll be listening to a short part of a track, trying to decide EQ or whatever. I make a change, realize this is going to take me a little longer so I set my Left/Right markers and loop the part. I solo/unsolo a few times. Maybe I mute another part. Then I realize I don't like the change. In order to undo the change, I have to undo however many solo/unsolos, and undo my Left/Right marker settings.

I realize an Undo history would handle most of this, except it would also move the markers. Maybe Props could insert a button in preferences that would exclude markers and solos from the undo. Whatdayathink?

Loque

20 Aug 2020

Yea, that was discussed quite a few times here. Just make a feture request at Reason Studios...

The point is, they already have the history. They just need a way to display it and quickly move to a specific snapshot without "undoing" n-times...

Hopefully it will be implemented at some point. While it is not my #1 priority, i have that problem too from time to time.
Reason12, Win10

guitfnky

20 Aug 2020

yes, it’s seriously stupid functionality, the way it works right now. makes no sense to have solos/mutes and loop locator moves in the undo history.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

turpinjack

20 Aug 2020

Ah, good to know it's not just me. I sent in my suggestion. Maybe someone will see it and do something. Maybe.

DaveyG

20 Aug 2020

But as soon as you start excluding stuff from UNDO then it's not a true UNDO. And it would get very confusing.
Much better to Save or "Save As" before you start to mess with stuff. I've usually got a couple of temp files I alternate between and I save major points in a song's development so I typically end up with 20 or 30 files.

Just think yourself lucky you're not cutting magnetic tape up with a razor blade. I've been there and undo is not really an option. ;p

guitfnky

20 Aug 2020

DaveyG wrote:
20 Aug 2020
But as soon as you start excluding stuff from UNDO then it's not a true UNDO. And it would get very confusing.
Much better to Save or "Save As" before you start to mess with stuff. I've usually got a couple of temp files I alternate between and I save major points in a song's development so I typically end up with 20 or 30 files.

Just think yourself lucky you're not cutting magnetic tape up with a razor blade. I've been there and undo is not really an option. ;p
doesn’t saving prevent you from performing an undo though?

the easiest solution would be a couple of simple checkboxes in preferences that lets you decide whether you want to keep the current behavior, or ignore mutes/solos , or ignore loop markers when undoing. personally, I can’t think of a use case where I’d ever want to be able to undo solos/mutes/loop marker moves.

Creativemind

25 Aug 2020

guitfnky wrote:
20 Aug 2020
yes, it’s seriously stupid functionality, the way it works right now. makes no sense to have solos/mutes and loop locator moves in the undo history.
Yeah was discussing this with a friend at college many years ago about undo history and I said, ", Reason undoes too much as well" and he suggested to have an undo checkbox list with every undo item type all listed and then you could uncheck the box for say, 'L/R Locators" or the 'Track Labelling' or 'Mutes / Solo's' etc. Think that's a great idea.
Last edited by Creativemind on 25 Aug 2020, edited 3 times in total.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

DaveyG

25 Aug 2020

Creativemind wrote:
25 Aug 2020
guitfnky wrote:
20 Aug 2020
Yeah was discussing this with a friend at college many years ago about undo history and I said, ", Reason undoes too much as well" and he suggested to have an undo checkbox list with every undo item type all listed and then you could uncheck the box for say, 'L/R Locators" or the 'Track Labelling' or 'Mutes / Solo's' etc. Think that's a great idea but I wondered afterwards if that uncheck list was possible coding wise, I mean, is that too complicated of a thing to code, have the user select the undo's that can be undone?
Yep, it's too complicated. Undo should undo everything one step at a time.

Creativemind

25 Aug 2020

DaveyG wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Creativemind wrote:
25 Aug 2020

Yeah was discussing this with a friend at college many years ago about undo history and I said, ", Reason undoes too much as well" and he suggested to have an undo checkbox list with every undo item type all listed and then you could uncheck the box for say, 'L/R Locators" or the 'Track Labelling' or 'Mutes / Solo's' etc. Think that's a great idea but I wondered afterwards if that uncheck list was possible coding wise, I mean, is that too complicated of a thing to code, have the user select the undo's that can be undone?
I thought about it and yes certain events could be taken out the undo's so I deleted it from my response but you caught me before I did that.

It shouldn't be the way it is now. It lacks common sense. I'd put money on Reason being the only daw that behaves this way.

The way guitfnky suggested would be best, a simple checkbox for taking the solos, mutes, locators, marker and colouring / labelling etc out of the undo's, could be destructive or non-destructive (I think?).

Non-Destructive checked means everything is undone and Destructive means the other things are not remembered.

guitfnky

25 Aug 2020

DaveyG wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Creativemind wrote:
25 Aug 2020

that’s what it does now—which functions stupidly. 😆

there’s no reason they can’t/shouldn’t give us the option to exempt certain things from undos that don’t belong in the undo history in the first place. they’d have to have really mucked up the original coding to make carving out some exceptions difficult.

Creativemind

25 Aug 2020

guitfnky wrote:
25 Aug 2020
there’s no reason they can’t/shouldn’t give us the option to exempt certain things from undos that don’t belong in the undo history in the first place. they’d have to have really mucked up the original coding to make carving out some exceptions difficult.
Yeah have you noticed you if you record audio sometimes and hardly do anything if at all afterwards and there's sometimes about 5 undo's just to delete the clip to go back to a blank track? I can't even understand what it's undoing. You can sum it up with the phrase I said to my mate, "Reason undoes too much" lol!

guitfnky

25 Aug 2020

Creativemind wrote:
25 Aug 2020
guitfnky wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Yeah have you noticed you if you record audio sometimes and hardly do anything if at all afterwards and there's sometimes about 5 undo's just to delete the clip to go back to a blank track? I can't even understand what it's undoing. You can sum it up with the phrase I said to my mate, "Reason undoes too much" lol!
ha, yeah, all the time. like you forgot you changed the loop markers and that’s another couple of undos right there. not a good system.

there are DAWs that give you almost too much control over the undo history, with like branching paths and whatever—to the point of it getting convoluted. I don’t think Reason will ever be at any risk of falling into that trap though. :lol:

Creativemind

25 Aug 2020

guitfnky wrote:
25 Aug 2020
Creativemind wrote:
25 Aug 2020

ha, yeah, all the time. like you forgot you changed the loop markers and that’s another couple of undos right there. not a good system.

there are DAWs that give you almost too much control over the undo history, with like branching paths and whatever—to the point of it getting convoluted. I don’t think Reason will ever be at any risk of falling into that trap though. :lol:
😂

Yeah they couldn't undo that lol!

• Information