Virtual Audience RE from J Chris Griffin in the Shop

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2020

Attachments
E5C2B1A5-AFDE-461F-A9BA-299A7B7055F1.jpeg
E5C2B1A5-AFDE-461F-A9BA-299A7B7055F1.jpeg (22.82 KiB) Viewed 5145 times
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Heater

18 Aug 2020

An interesting idea for a RE.

Loque

18 Aug 2020

Uh...i just can download it...Even "free" ones i normally need to add to my account...weird.

But yea, i like Chris Griffin!

And yea, i like the developer too :-D He made that SAW-synth which has a pretty good sound:
https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... ave-synth/

Thanks Chris! Now i finally have some audience :thumbs_up:
Last edited by Loque on 18 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2020

Heater wrote:
18 Aug 2020
An interesting idea for a RE.
Actually yes. Remember a while back trying to make an audience using Robotic Bean’s acoustic handclapper. Didn’t go so well. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Auryn

18 Aug 2020

This RE just begs to have some kind of AI implemented into it that will clap or boo spontaneously in response to the sound output/performance
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

eusti

18 Aug 2020

Very cool!

D.

DaveyG

18 Aug 2020

I used to have a free VST which would do a similar thing. Played with it for a few minutes then forgot about it. It's probably still installed on my old PC.

guitfnky

18 Aug 2020

obviously can’t be very good because it’s a rompler. hard pass.

:lol:
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

joeyluck

18 Aug 2020

I think devices like this are cool.

It would be useful if there was round robin samples or at least a randomize start point function (or round robin samples simply created and loaded by choosing different start points).

Also the names given to the sounds within the device don't match the automation/combinator assignments. For instance: - "Performance Hall GT" is "Venue Clap C"
- "Small Gathering - Cheer" is "Crowd Clap" and so on...
This made it very confusing when trying to make Combinator assignments.

I figured I would try something modulating the sample start offset. That still didn't give me much variation because either the offset value isn't great or the samples aren't that long.

Something else that made it tricky to edit is that the samples have a built in fade at the beginning, so if using the start offset, the samples have a built in fade at an offset setting of 0 and are abrupt at other settings. But then if you use the envelope to make a slower attack, that will help anything offset, but if you trigger with offset at 0, that built in fade is now more pronounced and slower. So I think the samples should have the fade removed and just make use of the envelope for patches.

[EDIT] the only "built in fade ins" on samples are those with natural build-ups

DaveyG

18 Aug 2020

This is the one I was thinking of although it looks to cost now. I'm sure it was free, or maybe I had a "Lite" version.

https://www.quikquak.com/prod_crowdchamber.html

It's not something you'll use very often.

EnochLight

18 Aug 2020

joeyluck wrote:
18 Aug 2020
It would be useful if there was round robin samples or at least a randomize start point function (or round robin samples simply created and loaded by choosing different start points).
Yikes! I know this is only $19 USD, but no round robin seems almost like a critical miss. A sample based rompler like this almost demands it, IMHO. No one wants to get the clap twice. :puf_bigsmile:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

motuscott

18 Aug 2020

Wait! You pay $19 to have people clap for you.
That is indeed the New York club experience
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Despondo
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2020

I don't see the social distancing button. I only have an audience of one at the moment.....

hurricane
Competition Winner

18 Aug 2020

It's ugly. And the back of the device looks better than the front.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

joeyluck

18 Aug 2020

EnochLight wrote:
18 Aug 2020
joeyluck wrote:
18 Aug 2020
Yikes! I know this is only $19 USD, but no round robin seems almost like a critical miss. A sample based rompler like this almost demands it, IMHO. No one wants to get the clap twice. :puf_bigsmile:
Well like I mentioned, it could be something as simple as a start point randomizer (or start point cycle rather). Since it's not instrument samples, it doesn't necessarily need to be different samples every time, just perhaps a different start point. But if doing that approach, I'm not sure how exactly to deal with the samples that have natural build ups while also applying a slower attack for when it's triggered in the middle.

I'm going to try making a combinator utilizing the start offset. Maybe I can get it to change with each trigger...
[EDIT] The start offset parameter needs to span further to make this approach useful (currently about 2 seconds at max setting).

Noplan
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2020

For artists who miss their fans during the pandemic.

moneykube

19 Aug 2020

ummmmm... why? and hmmmm... not for me, scratches head
Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 12.53.31 AM.png
Screen Shot 2020-08-19 at 12.53.31 AM.png (133.85 KiB) Viewed 4707 times
if I need applause I'll bow :puf_smile:
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

buddard
RE Developer

19 Aug 2020

Unique and fun idea!
It would be an instabuy if there was a sample of someone shouting "Play Freebird!"

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2020

buddard wrote:
19 Aug 2020
Unique and fun idea!
It would be an instabuy if there was a sample of someone shouting "Play Freebird!"
In Sweden they shout “Play Creedence”. Up here in Hälsingland i alla fall.
My last band had a pact to never, ever do that.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2020

Just watched the video and I think it looks great. Sure it’s niche but so was the JP Chime Tree thing :).
I like it when devs come out with stuff that hasn’t been done before :).
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

motuscott

19 Aug 2020

buddard wrote:
19 Aug 2020
Unique and fun idea!
I don’t know if this is just a New York thing, but there should definitely be a “Get the fuck off the stage” option.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

Aosta

19 Aug 2020

This RE would make an interesting song challenge.
Tend the flame

joeyluck

19 Aug 2020

MrFigg wrote:
19 Aug 2020
Just watched the video and I think it looks great. Sure it’s niche but so was the JP Chime Tree thing :).
I like it when devs come out with stuff that hasn’t been done before :).
Agreed! And an update is on the way :)

I contacted Chris and he was quick to reply and let me know they will fix the names so they match and extend the start offset range :thumbs_up:

EnochLight

19 Aug 2020

joeyluck wrote:
19 Aug 2020

I contacted Chris and he was quick to reply and let me know they will fix the names so they match and extend the start offset range :thumbs_up:
Any chance he'll add round robin samples (or at least some sort of start point cycle)? Might want to pleasantly recommend that, too. :thumbs_up:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

joeyluck

19 Aug 2020

EnochLight wrote:
19 Aug 2020
joeyluck wrote:
19 Aug 2020

Any chance he'll add round robin samples (or at least some sort of start point cycle)? Might want to pleasantly recommend that, too. :thumbs_up:
That's part of the intention of extending the start offset. Combinators can then be made, which I believe they would also be working towards. I guess you could modulate the start offset or create something using Distributor, which would trigger individual devices with different start offset settings. But a built-in setting would be nice for sure.

• Information