Headphones for mixing and recording

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Whirlwind

14 Aug 2020

Fotu wrote:
14 Aug 2020
joeyluck wrote:
10 Aug 2020
I like semi open for extended headphone mixing. I use different closed headphones for recording though because of bleed.

Speaking of Sennheiser, I've heard great things about the HD 280 Pro. Very affordable. Also a calibrated headphone for Waves NX if you use that.
I'm the same... I use some old but wonderful (open) Grado GS1000s for listening and mixing, but use HD 280 Pros for recording vocals to eliminate bleed. That said, I'm not fond of the HD 280 Pro sound... I use it only as long as needed to record then swap to the Grados or just monitors. For me the HD 280 Pros would not be my choice for mixing and critical listening; just my 2 cents.
Thanks, so I found these:

Sony MDR7510
Headphone Type Dynamic, Closed
Magnet Type Neodymium
Driver Size 50.0mm
Frequency Response 5-40kHz
Impedance 24 Ohms
Sensitivity108 dB/mW

Only concern again is the low impedance. Apart from that these seem like a really good bet..?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2020

Whirlwind wrote:
14 Aug 2020
Fotu wrote:
14 Aug 2020

I'm the same... I use some old but wonderful (open) Grado GS1000s for listening and mixing, but use HD 280 Pros for recording vocals to eliminate bleed. That said, I'm not fond of the HD 280 Pro sound... I use it only as long as needed to record then swap to the Grados or just monitors. For me the HD 280 Pros would not be my choice for mixing and critical listening; just my 2 cents.

Sony MDR7510
Magnet Type Neodymium
Driver Size 50.0mm
Impedance 24 Ohms
Sensitivity108 dB/mW

Only concern again is the low impedance. Apart from that these seem like a really good bet..?
Again though...why is low impedance a concern? Do you think you’ll be able to discern a noticeable difference? I’m asking genuinely as I have no idea what level you’re at in your mixing/mastering skills.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

14 Aug 2020

In truth, you can buy any decent quality headphones and learn to mix on them. Give a couple of mixes to others for a reference point and learn to compensate for the characteristics of the headphones. The same applies to monitor speakers too.

Whirlwind

14 Aug 2020

MrFigg wrote:
14 Aug 2020
Whirlwind wrote:
14 Aug 2020

Sony MDR7510
Magnet Type Neodymium
Driver Size 50.0mm
Impedance 24 Ohms
Sensitivity108 dB/mW

Again though...why is low impedance a concern? Do you think you’ll be able to discern a noticeable difference? I’m asking genuinely as I have no idea what level you’re at in your mixing/mastering skills.
I don't know whether I will, but if it is significant, then why choose ones with low ohm?

The reason being, I have read (and as previously mentioned Im learning), that a low ohm can cause distortion when volume is raised.
If Im mixing Id rather avoid that.

If there is no real difference between these 24ohm and the 7506's which are 63ohm, then I will go for these. But again, from what ive read and noticed in headphones specs higher ohm does seem to affect quality/distortion. if Im wrong please correct me.

Finally, Ive read that low ohm headphones do not benefit from external audio interfaces, meaning they will be going directly into my Macbook 2012 headphone socket, surely that will effect quality output..?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

14 Aug 2020

Whirlwind wrote:
14 Aug 2020
MrFigg wrote:
14 Aug 2020

I don't know whether I will, but if it is significant, then why choose ones with low ohm?

The reason being, I have read (and as previously mentioned Im learning), that a low ohm can cause distortion when volume is raised.

If there is no real difference between these 24ohm and the 7506's which are 63ohm, then I will go for these. But again, from what ive read and noticed in headphones specs higher ohm does seem to affect quality/distortion. if Im wrong please correct me.

Finally, Ive read that low ohm headphones do not benefit from external audio interfaces, meaning they will be going directly into my Macbook 2012 headphone socket, surely that will effect quality output..?
I’ve got DT770s 80ohm and I’ve never noticed any distortion. A little bassy for my personal taste but some people like that. I’m a guitarist and always had an audio interface so don’t know about plugging directly into the computer.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Whirlwind

14 Aug 2020

MrFigg wrote:
14 Aug 2020
Whirlwind wrote:
14 Aug 2020

I’ve got DT770s 80ohm and I’ve never noticed any distortion. A little bassy for my personal taste but some people like that. I’m a guitarist and always had an audio interface so don’t know about plugging directly into the computer.
Thats what I mean, your headphones are 80ohm.

Man im losing it over here haha

Whirlwind

14 Aug 2020

Went for the Sony 7510's in the end. They seem to have a good range and perhaps ideal for learning the basics of mixing. Slight concern I don't have an audio interface with them, but sure it will be fine.

Oquasec

14 Aug 2020

senn 598
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

danc

15 Aug 2020

My advice.. get as many sound listening sources as you can lay your hands on... Ensuring you cover the full spectrum of common listening platforms... I use Adam Audio monitors... Have about 5 top quality headphones from Beyerdynamics and AKG (I do love my 3 AKGs) and also have an Avantone Mixcube which doesn't ever lie when it comes to ' will this work everywhere?'.

The point is... Yes... Pick a good pair of headphones, but you have to try your music out every... Especially tinny mobile speakers, which will always tell you if you mixed the high end properly. They can be very fussy with ill judged levels in a mix... Which sounded fine on monitors and headphones.
Check my Soundcloud:

Skimrok

05 Oct 2020

Kalm wrote:
11 Aug 2020
Skimrok wrote:
11 Aug 2020

that's interesting I've never had any of there headphones but I'm intrigued with them i nearly got the 50x a few times , looks like i would of got the wrong versions so for example in your view which pair edges it for you?
M30x or the M40x :geek:
If you want a tad bit more bass the M40s come out a bit better. Some people have said they deliver a more flat response than the M30. I can tell you the M30s can get fatiguing though as everything is upfront.

The response graph on this site pretty much sums up what I hear, but it’s not as practica until Sonarworks makes its debut
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en ... #gsc.tab=0

You can search the other ATH headphones on there as well.
I picked up a pair M40x at a great price recently, man you not wrong these are brilliant for the price , I'm actually really shocked :shock: thanks for the heads up :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Kalm

05 Oct 2020

Skimrok wrote:
05 Oct 2020
Kalm wrote:
11 Aug 2020

If you want a tad bit more bass the M40s come out a bit better. Some people have said they deliver a more flat response than the M30. I can tell you the M30s can get fatiguing though as everything is upfront.

The response graph on this site pretty much sums up what I hear, but it’s not as practica until Sonarworks makes its debut
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en ... #gsc.tab=0

You can search the other ATH headphones on there as well.
I picked up a pair M40x at a great price recently, man you not wrong these are brilliant for the price , I'm actually really shocked :shock: thanks for the heads up :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:
Have you tried to do some mixing on them already? Have you used Sonarworks yet.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

arqui

05 Oct 2020

DaveyG wrote:
14 Aug 2020
In truth, you can buy any decent quality headphones and learn to mix on them. Give a couple of mixes to others for a reference point and learn to compensate for the characteristics of the headphones. The same applies to monitor speakers too.
exact, perfectly explained, I would add, that it is good to combine with two different headphones, the same for monitors, and compare with reference tracks.
I use Sony V6 + AT m50, I have already got used to its frequencies.
      Reason 11 Suite, perpetual license :reason:

Skimrok

06 Oct 2020

Kalm wrote:
05 Oct 2020
Skimrok wrote:
05 Oct 2020

Have you tried to do some mixing on them already? Have you used Sonarworks yet.
No not yet I'm half way through a tune currently but will do it from scratch on the next one yes I will be using sonar for the first time then also :puf_smile: :thumbs_up:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Skimrok

19 Oct 2020

change of plan I got a few headphone recently I'm letting go the m40x with a few others i got the ollo audio s4x, comfort on them are lovely and i look forward trying to learn them instead ,

tronam

08 Feb 2021

Comfort doesn't come up often enough in these discussions, especially for long listening sessions. I have the ATH M50x and while I find many of their features convenient, to me they get uncomfortable beyond an hour or two and also hot/sweaty. Same goes for my Grado SR125s. I also have the DT-770 and DT-990 and could wear both indefinitely for hours without a problem. The 990s are <chef's kiss>
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

EdGrip

08 Feb 2021

The AKG K712s I can wear all day. You forget they're on your head. I agree that comfort is a factor that's not discussed enough. I've had headphones that give me headaches from clamping force.

danc

08 Feb 2021

EdGrip wrote:
08 Feb 2021
The AKG K712s I can wear all day. You forget they're on your head. I agree that comfort is a factor that's not discussed enough. I've had headphones that give me headaches from clamping force.
Agree - I've got the AKG 712s as well... which are a great pair of cans... along with K371s and K702 and Beyer Dynamics DT250.

The K712s definitely win the comfort wars... however.. the bottom end isn't full enough for my mixing needs. I use the K371s for that and then hop onto the 712s near the end of mix session to clean anything up... as they are flatter "purer" in nature.

As I mentioned before... you need multiple sources of sound to do A/B testing between. Don't rely on one source of sound... otherwise you will might miss something that is wrong.
Check my Soundcloud:

EdGrip

08 Feb 2021

danc wrote:
08 Feb 2021
EdGrip wrote:
08 Feb 2021
Agree - I've got the AKG 712s as well... which are a great pair of cans... along with K371s and K702 and Beyer Dynamics DT250.

The K712s definitely win the comfort wars... however.. the bottom end isn't full enough for my mixing needs. I use the K371s for that and then hop onto the 712s near the end of mix session to clean anything up... as they are flatter "purer" in nature.

As I mentioned before... you need multiple sources of sound to do A/B testing between. Don't rely on one source of sound... otherwise you will might miss something that is wrong.
Good to know - yeah, the K712s don't have loads of bass. I'm still on the lookout for a pair of not-too-expensive headphones for just having pure fun with electronic music.

tt_lab

08 Feb 2021

I've just pulled the trigger on a pair of dt 1990 pro...They are arriving tomorrow. Heard them on a friend's and I fell in love with them.

• Information