What new feature would make you buy the upgrade immediately?

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
ltbrunt00

11 Aug 2020

I would like to say I always upgrade but not to give them that satisfaction I will say right now Scoring to Video would be my highest priority. That would allow many of us to use Reason for new projects.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

Jackjackdaw

11 Aug 2020

TritoneAddiction wrote:
10 Aug 2020
Boombastix wrote:
09 Aug 2020

Your gonna pay $129 just for color selection? Oh my...
As crazy as it sounds, I probably would actually.
To be honest the visual component is pretty damn important to me. I'm the kind of person that won't use a synth just because I don't like the way it looks.

Put it this way. I'd much rather pay the 129 bucks to never have to look at that butt ugly orange color ever again, than say get a new great synth for 100-200 bucks. The visual component will affect my mood everytime I use Reason after all, so yes stuff like this matters.
I've read tons of users requests here at ReasonTalk, but honestly most of them I never even think about when I use Reason.
Dude, just create a default template with an existing mix channel in your preferred colour...

Dante

11 Aug 2020

Make reason Rack Plugin work as a VST 2. Currently it only works as a VST3 isn't it ? Therefore I cant use it in Harrison Mixbus32C.

avasopht
Competition Winner

11 Aug 2020

Reason is close to reaching the point of diminishing returns - which is a good thing.

Yes, there are lots of missing features / updates (hello Groove UI that was supposed to be updated a few versions ago). But it's got so much working well that they'd really need to pull something out of the bag to make an upgrade an insta-buy now.

If you think back to all those feature request threads, most of the major ones have been done:
  • VST support
  • Plugin batch sizes matching your audio buffer
  • Midi in/out
  • Hi res support (apparently coming in the next version according to :rt: post I saw)
  • Reason as a VST plugin (I was not a fan of rewire)
  • Propellerhead modular synth with oversampling and cables on the front
  • Stock synth with built-in unison, etc.
  • Granular synth
  • Updated drum sounds and instruments (Klang, that vocal thing, Radical Pianos, etc.)
  • SSL components as rack devices
  • Antares Autotune as an RE (come on, that deserves a round of applause)
  • More kick ass Propellerhead REs
I'm still on R10 (and R11 Lite). I held out on upgrading fully to R11, especially after adopting Live as my primary sequencer.

That being said, maybe any one of the following might suffice:
  • Full Melodyne integration
  • Streaming support for sample libraries
  • Video support
  • Waves plugins available as REs (seems like a no brainer for both parties)
  • VST3 support
  • Full Push 2 integration with clips (blocks are cool, but this could be a game-changer)
  • Some magic to fully integrate with VST patches (including fully integrating with the VSTs own in-build browser) .... imagine that!!
  • Some magic collab tool (I mean properly where I can update my project and it updates my collaborator's project when they sync)
Personally, I think I'm settled. All I care about right now are bug fixes and moar integration.

chaosroyale

11 Aug 2020

uh..many of the "features" you listed are not even part of the DAW tho?
(also, literally nobody was requesting kalimbas or any of those terrible, lazy, shovelware instruments in R10)

just off the top of my head there are still a TON of unfulfilled requests, many from years ago.

track folders
alternative automation curves & a selection of automation presets
modern sampler
combinator2
bring Kong/ Thor/ Subtractor up to date
MPE support
alternative tunings / microtunings support
RE manager to allow you to remove unwanted REs
color & layout options
default patch options for each instrument
fix the labelling system
alias clips / linked clips for faster editing
improved manipulation and moving notes in the sequencer
update the "tools" window and integrate properly with the sequencer
fix the limited zoom out in the sequencer to help people making long tracks
track markers
alternatives to the "SSL" for the channel strips
updated Mclass devices
updated visualization > update the Spectrum, add easy to read peak & RMS per channel, modern master visualizer with LUFs, etc
update the browser & allow users to put it anywhere they want

...all in addition to the hi-res GUI, VST3, video support that you mentioned.

that still looks like a pretty damn long list to work on...

I would expect R12 to maybe include the hi res GUI and nothing else.
avasopht wrote:
11 Aug 2020
Reason is close to reaching the point of diminishing returns - which is a good thing.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

11 Aug 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
11 Aug 2020
TritoneAddiction wrote:
10 Aug 2020

As crazy as it sounds, I probably would actually.
To be honest the visual component is pretty damn important to me. I'm the kind of person that won't use a synth just because I don't like the way it looks.

Put it this way. I'd much rather pay the 129 bucks to never have to look at that butt ugly orange color ever again, than say get a new great synth for 100-200 bucks. The visual component will affect my mood everytime I use Reason after all, so yes stuff like this matters.
I've read tons of users requests here at ReasonTalk, but honestly most of them I never even think about when I use Reason.
Dude, just create a default template with an existing mix channel in your preferred colour...
I think I wrote my comment when I was in a pissed off mood. Not the smartest time to post comments on forums. I think I overreacted a bit. :)

That's a good idea to make a default template. I'll try that. :thumbs_up:

dancing fool

15 Aug 2020

Multi timbral midi in for RRP
More audio inputs for RRP
Vst 3 support reason stand alone
Vst Midi out reason stand alone

Jackjackdaw

15 Aug 2020

Record more than one Midi track at a time!

Or, VST's in the RRP and Multi Midi

I am always getting in this situation where I design a load of patches with a mix of VST and Re.s and Players and I have this groove going on and I want to lay it all down live but I can only do that in audio inside Reason. then it's too late to rewire it because of the VSTs and I would have to build the whole rig from scratch in the RRP and it just makes me think F*** Reason, I should have just started the project in Cubase instead. So then I start working in Cubase again and it crashes all the time so I come back to Reason... Endless bloody loop of dissapointment and broken dreams.

SebAudio

15 Aug 2020

dancing fool wrote:
15 Aug 2020
Multi timbral midi in for RRP
I understand the aim is to be as close as possible to the stand alone behavior. But I guess automation would only be possible with CC and not parameters’ s names ? But still better than today (since it add a capability)

drloop

16 Aug 2020

ModSource wrote:
09 Aug 2020
Punch in/out recording, manual and automatic
Oh yes!
Single most wanted feature from my side

Heater

16 Aug 2020

Track freeze.

Oquasec

16 Aug 2020

Track freeze for sure
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

16 Aug 2020

* They are still not finished with VST support. There is no midi out - something I already paid for, since I bought my Reason 10 when Propellerhead said I can use ALL my VSTs.
There is no VST or VST midi in the RRP. I mean whats the point of this combo (RRP+Standalone) if you can't bring projects over to another DAW (I mean who doesn't make Combinators with VSTs?)
There is no VST3 support
RS need to finish the VST support - PRONTO.

* And then track freeze
* The browser - this is a big one and not sure how they would tackle it. Sure there are plenty of great VST browsers to look at. BUT with Reason you have patches and samples scattered all over the place in the FSB - it is beyond insanity IMO, then add your own made patches and sample lib, and then ReFills. Even the pro-organizers from "Hoarders" would find it mind boggling to re-organize it....
* Midi clip/lane export. How you gonna move a Combinator into another DAW if you can't bring the midi over as well? (Should be drag n drop too, or export to disk, both options) This issue goes hand in hand with the lack of VST in the RRP.

By the way I honestly do not understand you who ask for MClass updates, colors, and such. There is an abundance of great and free EQs and Compressor to grab, in case you have no paid versions. My short prioritized list above pin points stuff I need to actually do WORK in Reason. (Yes, it is my perspective)

I think RS's focus should be on stuff that is needed to finish songs without cumbersome workarounds. And I think we all should tell RS to have that a focus too.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

chaosroyale

18 Aug 2020

I agree with you in general but;

"There is an abundance of great and free EQs and Compressor to grab"

Yes, this is true, but the basic devices of any DAW are still a selling point for many people, and Reason's devices are outdated.

More importantly, 3rd party VSTs are not displayed realtime in the rack - THAT is the big advantage of the native devices. Everything is at-a-glance, and that can be a huge workflow benefit. Reason's rack should be a powerhouse, but I almost never use the native devices any more. That's a problem because it nullifies one of the best things about the rack - the visual feedback.

Likewise, colors and the ability to customize positions of windows etc can make a huge difference to a persons workflow.

But over all, yes RS need to actually try using their DAW to finish a song, say something like a 20-minute movie soundtrack piece, and maybe when they have to "workaround" for the 100th time & throw their monitor out of the window, they they will realize they have a lot of catching up to do.
Boombastix wrote:
16 Aug 2020

By the way I honestly do not understand you who ask for MClass updates, colors, and such. There is an abundance of great and free EQs and Compressor to grab, in case you have no paid versions. My short prioritized list above pin points stuff I need to actually do WORK in Reason. (Yes, it is my perspective)

I think RS's focus should be on stuff that is needed to finish songs without cumbersome workarounds. And I think we all should tell RS to have that a focus too.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

19 Aug 2020

Just to add. My observation during the last 2 years is that the other major daw manufacturers can put out a fair amount more updates than what RS are capable of. So RS must prioritize harder for the fewer updates they can do.

I can live with a deep purple color that makes the text barely visible, I just use another color. I can still finish my track, this is not painful to accept.

But when my synths makes the audio crackle and I'm 75% finished with composing the work around in order to continue without a freeze track function is a major PITA or almost a show stopper.

Hence, that's why I say, focus should be on the major pain issues that makes it hard to finish songs or in the case of the RRP transfer from Standalone to RRP workflow.

Listen to the new Kahlil interview. He left Reason because Rewire was to much pain. If they can fix the major pain issues I have pointed out they can attract more users to come back or join for the first time. Just letting us use VSTs in RRP would be huge.

Kahlil also showcased a midi player, this is so common to use nowadays. Reason is really shooting themselves in the foot for not opening up to VST midi.

tronam

19 Aug 2020

I'm one of those "upgrade when the version number goes up" kind of dependable Reason customers. It's kind of like a Propellerhead charity fund.

Okay, if I had to choose my most desired feature it would be an interface overhaul to accommodate high resolution displays. Ever since 2013 it has slowly worked its way to the top of my most wanted list.
Music is nothing else but wild sounds civilized into time and tune.

Proboscis

20 Aug 2020

deeplink wrote:
08 Aug 2020
If Reason changed nothing, but added a new (or upgraded the existing) Combinator - with more knobs and expanded programmer - I would upgrade in a heartbeat.
The lack of 2x the features in the now ancient Combinator has PISSED ME OFF for many years. However, I've made peace with their lack of progress, and my expectations are very low.

But whatever new features might roll out in a point release, I don't see much value in upgrading now, when so much time has passed since R11. I assume R12 will drop in 2021.

TritoneAddiction
Competition Winner

20 Aug 2020

tronam wrote:
19 Aug 2020
I'm one of those "upgrade when the version number goes up" kind of dependable Reason customers. It's kind of like a Propellerhead charity fund.
Yeah I'm kind of the same. As long as there is something in the upgrade I find interesting. Kind of stupid in a way. I did not buy the R8 upgrade. That one simply wasn't enough for me at the time.
The R11 standard upgrade was "ok" imo. The later Beatmap addition made it much better. If Beatmap or Scenic had been included from the start I'd have considered it a good standard upgrade.
But I bought the Suite version, which made a big difference for me. Totally worth it. I've written so many tracks this year because of that inspiration boost from all those extra toys in the Suite.

madmacman

20 Aug 2020

Boombastix wrote:
19 Aug 2020
Just to add. My observation during the last 2 years is that the other major daw manufacturers can put out a fair amount more updates than what RS are capable of. So RS must prioritize harder for the fewer updates they can do.
But I don't get it. I mean, iirc during the release show of Studio One 5 one of the developer said (paraphrased) "we couldn't consider all feature requests since we are only a team of 20 people".

But it was a very solid release - not to speak of the minor 4.x releases with a bunch of new features (and I mean "features" - not new devices). Presonus even dared to NOT add any new device to v5. :lol:

So I think I'll wait for R12 anyway. Currently I'm satisfied with the RRP of Reason Lite 11 - I only miss the option to use my ReFill library with tons of samples for the NN-XT. So this might be the trigger for R12. But I'm not in a rush.

guitfnky

20 Aug 2020

not really that important, in terms of what they SHOULD be focusing on, but one thing that would make me insta-buy a new version would be an innovative way to collaborate with other Reason users. I mean, if they found an elegant way to let us collaborate with people who don’t have the same plugins/REs as us, I think that would be a game changer.

how cool would it be to be able to share a song with someone who doesn’t have all the same stuff as you, and they still hear exactly what you do, and when they send it back, you can still hear exactly as they do—all without having to go through a cumbersome bouncing/un-bouncing process?

it’s something I think really could be done, if they wanted to.

all that said...don’t do that now. bring the DAW up to modern standards first. 😅
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Boombastix
Competition Winner

20 Aug 2020

guitfnky wrote:
20 Aug 2020
not really that important, in terms of what they SHOULD be focusing on, but one thing that would make me insta-buy a new version would be an innovative way to collaborate with other Reason users. I mean, if they found an elegant way to let us collaborate with people who don’t have the same plugins/REs as us, I think that would be a game changer.

how cool would it be to be able to share a song with someone who doesn’t have all the same stuff as you, and they still hear exactly what you do, and when they send it back, you can still hear exactly as they do—all without having to go through a cumbersome bouncing/un-bouncing process?

all that said...don’t do that now. bring the DAW up to modern standards first. 😅
Oh noooo, don't give them any ideas for an Allihopa 2.0 :lol:

guitfnky

20 Aug 2020

Boombastix wrote:
20 Aug 2020
guitfnky wrote:
20 Aug 2020

Oh noooo, don't give them any ideas for an Allihopa 2.0 :lol:
gahhh, nnnnNNNOOOOO, not like that! 😂
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

michael.jaye

20 Aug 2020

Cheaper upgrade price

I wish that when auditioning audio loops in the browser, it is in snyc with the project BPM.

Option to hide or minimise track and mixer channels

VST3 support

Oquasec

20 Aug 2020

Vst 2 is discontinued & vst 3 uses the same language Reason does.
Propellerhead will most likely not look for a vst 2 license.
The built in bridge in reason might support only vst 2 because (Just guessing) the bridge was built around Vst 2 specific plugins and below.
I'm guess reason can run vst 3 plugins if you connect another bridge like Patchwork/Minihost modular or a daw that has the vst 3 supporting code in there.
---
So I expect to see changes to the native bridge in the future for y'all.
Producer/Programmer.
Reason, FLS and Cubase NFR user.

Michaellos

20 Aug 2020

Better and better perfomance behavior would make me upgrade to the current version immediately. If Reason becomes as great as Reaper at this point that would be just killer feature
Last edited by Michaellos on 21 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.

• Information