Reason Rack works inside Reason using Nektarine

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
loopeydoug

09 Aug 2020

Hey gang. I have no idea if this is still a thing, but I just noticed I have the ability to load the Reason Rack and successfully use it inside of Reason using Nektartech's Nektarine app/VST wrapper. I only quickly tested it by loading a Subtractor to see if it would spit anything out. It did. Did I just discover a Thing? Tell me I discovered a Thing! 😃

Like I said, I don't know if this qualifies as news or not. I only remember seeing frequent requests to be able to use the Rack inside of Reason and, "you can't because VST3, and yada yada"... Anywhosit, if anyone sees this, maybe remind me again of the usefulness of this ability. If I ponder the usefulness for myself, all I can see right off the top is now I could easily(well more easily than traditional means) build and save(!) per-patch mappings of Reason Devices/REs/chains(!) for my Nektar P6. That's awesome for me, but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing other reasons people wanted this feature for.

EDIT: I know what Nektarine does. My post was to point out that Nektarine allows one to use the RRP inside of the Reason DAW, a feature that I've heard people bemoan the lack of quite often since its(RRP) inception.
Last edited by loopeydoug on 10 Aug 2020, edited 2 times in total.

future-bit

10 Aug 2020

Last edited by future-bit on 07 Dec 2020, edited 4 times in total.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2020

The usefulness is:
1. You can make patches with layers and FXs, save it , and use it in any DAW. Great if you start in one DAW but do vocal rec or mixing in another. Just bring the setup over. Unfortunately Reason won't let you get your midi out in any easy way. In Cubase you can just drag your midi clip out.
2. You can layer REs with VSTs, incl VST3.
3. Less tedious layering, no need wire stuff, add mixers, mess with Player Midi re-routing, etc as in Reason. Nektarine, Akai VIP, Maschine 2 - you just pop in another layer and set the level. Maschine /Komplete Kontrol will have VST3 in a couple of weeks, but no layering in KK unfortunately.

The RRP works in Maschine on Mac if you use the AU version.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

loopeydoug

10 Aug 2020

Boombastix wrote:
10 Aug 2020
The usefulness is:
1. You can make patches with layers and FXs, save it , and use it in any DAW. Great if you start in one DAW but do vocal rec or mixing in another. Just bring the setup over. Unfortunately Reason won't let you get your midi out in any easy way. In Cubase you can just drag your midi clip out.
2. You can layer REs with VSTs, incl VST3.
3. Less tedious layering, no need wire stuff, add mixers, mess with Player Midi re-routing, etc as in Reason. Nektarine, Akai VIP, Maschine 2 - you just pop in another layer and set the level. Maschine /Komplete Kontrol will have VST3 in a couple of weeks, but no layering in KK unfortunately.

The RRP works in Maschine on Mac if you use the AU version.
I understand the basic use of Nektarine. I was only pointing out that I've seen many requests/complaints that folks would like the ability to use the RRP INSIDE of Reason proper, and that Nektarine allows one to do so.

CaptainBlack

13 Aug 2020

I don't have Reason 11, but do have a Panorama T4 with Nektarine. Isn't RRP a VST3 (which ironically Reason still doesn't recognise)?

loopeydoug

14 Aug 2020

CaptainBlack wrote:
13 Aug 2020
Isn't RRP a VST3 (which ironically Reason still doesn't recognise)?
This is the explanation/joke that commonly follows the complaint. However, Nektarine will recognize/wrap VST3 and thus creates a loophole.

EnochLight

14 Aug 2020

future-bit wrote:
10 Aug 2020
This is not news for a long time.

youtube.com/watch?v=F6RJA3W5kLQ
^^ That video specifically shows him skipping scanning for VST3 as he thought (at the time) that he can't load VST 3 in Reason using Nektarine (nor load RRP). ;)

So, while it may have not been news for a long time, there are still many who are not aware.
CaptainBlack wrote:
13 Aug 2020
I don't have Reason 11, but do have a Panorama T4 with Nektarine. Isn't RRP a VST3 (which ironically Reason still doesn't recognise)?
Yes, Reason RRP is a VST 3. Nektarine acts as a wrapper and works great.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

enossified

15 Aug 2020

EnochLight wrote:
14 Aug 2020
Yes, Reason RRP is a VST 3. Nektarine acts as a wrapper and works great.
Nektarine also allows hosting VSTs in Logic and AUs in Cubase.

Not sure what benefit running RRP inside Reason would be, but it doesn't surprise me that you can do it with Nektarine.

One gotcha: Nektarine is only downloadable by registered Nektar owners.

MattiasHG
Reason Studios

17 Aug 2020

Just FYI, it's very much unsupported to run Reason within Reason so we can't guarantee anything will work as expected. Reason Rack Plugin's not designed for that. :)

ljekio

17 Aug 2020

If RRP is able to load vst-plugins, it will be an added benefit, RRP will be a plugin-chainer, there are not many of them on the market.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2020

ljekio wrote:
17 Aug 2020
If RRP is able to load vst-plugins, it will be an added benefit, RRP will be a plugin-chainer, there are not many of them on the market.
Yep, more new customers for RS, potential for upgrade and RE sales.
Existing users get a better workflow moving projects from Reason to another DAW. Less risk for existing users to abandon Reason due to too difficult to migrate a project over. VST (w midi out) in the RRP and easy midi clip export from Reason (export to drive and drag-n-drop into Cubase/Ableton etc) would be really useful.

Good win-win for all.

Karim
Competition Winner

17 Aug 2020

A single error of execution and protests compromising the space-time fabric :lol:
loopeydoug wrote:
09 Aug 2020
Hey gang. I have no idea if this is still a thing, but I just noticed I have the ability to load the Reason Rack and successfully use it inside of Reason using Nektartech's Nektarine app/VST wrapper. I only quickly tested it by loading a Subtractor to see if it would spit anything out. It did. Did I just discover a Thing? Tell me I discovered a Thing! 😃

Like I said, I don't know if this qualifies as news or not. I only remember seeing frequent requests to be able to use the Rack inside of Reason and, "you can't because VST3, and yada yada"... Anywhosit, if anyone sees this, maybe remind me again of the usefulness of this ability. If I ponder the usefulness for myself, all I can see right off the top is now I could easily(well more easily than traditional means) build and save(!) per-patch mappings of Reason Devices/REs/chains(!) for my Nektar P6. That's awesome for me, but I'm pretty sure I remember seeing other reasons people wanted this feature for.

EDIT: I know what Nektarine does. My post was to point out that Nektarine allows one to use the RRP inside of the Reason DAW, a feature that I've heard people bemoan the lack of quite often since its(RRP) inception.
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

MonsterRadioMan

03 Sep 2020

It may be that I'm the only one experiencing this, but for me when I'm running Reason in Maschine through Nektarine it doesn't sync to tempo. It seems to run great at 120, but once I raise the tempo they go out of sync. Maybe it's maschine? Maybe it's Nektarine? Maybe it's me?! I'm not sure. I just discovered this myself last night and found this thread looking to see if anyone had any answers.

Billy+

18 Sep 2020

So I finally got round to installing Nektarine only I can't find Reason listed as a plugin? Anyone got advice.

Oh and I was running Nektarine in standalone mode.

MonsterRadioMan

28 Oct 2020

Just an update, apparently I had an older version of Naktarine installed. I don't really use it to be honest. But I've been dying to use Reason in Maschine, because I personally love it's work flow, so I was really wanting to check this out. Now the tempo sync issue I mentioned is gone, but it does seem the GUI is really slow to respond. I guess it works, but I think I'll just wait for Maschine to add VST3. :(

Boombastix
Competition Winner

28 Oct 2020

NI have said VST3 is around the corner in Machine and Kontrol, I thought it would have been here by now, so I expect it is very close now.

hfw

02 Dec 2020

I also love both Maschine and Reasons workflow. Using RRP within nektarine is an ok work around but I agree the GUI is both slow and doesn’t flow well within the nekterine wrapper gui (tedious to scroll large racks etc).

It has been fun using RRP in Maschine through, I use it for sound design and map macros to Maschines knobs. Awsome having kong on the mk3 hardware.

I’m growing tired of waiting for vst3 in Maschine. Really hope it arrives soon so the RRP experience is smoother.

BTW I’ve been using the nurse Rex in kong to trigger loops while live playing, tempo synced but less cpu heavy than NIs in built audio looper...

• Information