Headphones for mixing and recording

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Whirlwind

10 Aug 2020

Hi guys

I have had enough of my HD25 Sennhesiers for using with Reason, and am looking for new headphones.

My budget isn't massive, around £100 but to my surprise there seems to be a few good choices, does anyone have experience or any advice regarding the headphones below:

Grado SR80e
AKG k271
Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro - 3 different models as ohm varies
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x

It seems I will also have to buy a headphone amp if buying the Beyers - can I use an USB audio interface for this as that would be two birds one stone?

Any advice would be really great guys, thanks

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2020

Whirlwind wrote:
10 Aug 2020
Hi guys

I have had enough of my HD25 Sennhesiers for using with Reason, and am looking for new headphones.

My budget isn't massive, around £100 but to my surprise there seems to be a few good choices, does anyone have experience or any advice regarding the headphones below:

Grado SR80e
AKG k271
Beyerdynamic dt 770 pro - 3 different models as ohm varies
Audio-Technica ATH-M50x

It seems I will also have to buy a headphone amp if buying the Beyers - can I use an USB audio interface for this as that would be two birds one stone?

Any advice would be really great guys, thanks
Why’d’you need a headphone amp for the Beyerdynamics? Audio interface will work fine. Get the 80ohms then you can use them with your phone as well for listening to music. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

10 Aug 2020

Out of that list: Beyerdynamic.

Whirlwind

10 Aug 2020

Thanks guys

I too am quite sold with the Beyers.
The one question I have is for mixing: will the 250 ohm be a better option, I mean does the difference in ohm make a difference to the sound quality output?

Ill only be using these headphones for music production, my Sennheiser and AirPods I use for listening to music.

Skimrok

10 Aug 2020

Ive had a few headphones recently , I can vouch for Beyer 250 or another headphones are the AKG 371 after a convo with a fellow forum member = both great headphones , I can also say that I had the mk2 271 recently but they don't come close to the others , also for giggles I got the BH 770 Behringer's and they are not like the DT 770s , SRH840 is not quite there either I found them heavy on the head

oh yeah I have the 80 ltd edition black cushions version and standard 250 but the 250 are more critical then the 80s but are great for my sort of music old dnb old hip hop and old dance music when I just want to listen to tunes

That's my thoughts and yes you are right they are a few to choose we are lucky but I think I done my little headphones chasing now :lol: unless I fancy some open backs but my past DJ ing ways don't favour open back headphones maybe one day I over come that obstacle :cool:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Whirlwind

10 Aug 2020

Skimrok wrote:
10 Aug 2020
Ive had a few headphones recently , I can vouch for Beyer 250 or another headphones are the AKG 371 after a convo with a fellow forum member = both great headphones , I can also say that I had the mk2 271 recently but they don't come close to the others , also for giggles I got the BH 770 Behringer's and they are not like the DT 770s , SRH840 is not quite there either I found them heavy on the head

oh yeah I have the 80 ltd edition black cushions version and standard 250 but the 250 are more critical then the 80s but are great for my sort of music old dnb old hip hop and old dance music when I just want to listen to tunes

That's my thoughts and yes you are right they are a few to choose we are lucky but I think I done my little headphones chasing now :lol: unless I fancy some open backs but my past DJ ing ways don't favour open back headphones maybe one day I over come that obstacle :cool:
thanks for your reply

im now deciding between, the DT770, DT880 or DT990.
Im leaning more towards the DT880 as that Ive read has a more neutral sound which I think means that what Im listening to is closer to what Ive recorded, which for mixing and music production I would assume is better, but Im still coming to grips with the terminology.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2020

Whirlwind wrote:
10 Aug 2020
Skimrok wrote:
10 Aug 2020

thanks for your reply

Im leaning more towards the DT880 as that Ive read has a more neutral sound which I think means that what Im listening to is closer to what Ive recorded, which for mixing and music production I would assume is better, but Im still coming to grips with the terminology.
Be aware that the 880s are semi-open and the 990s are open so if you’re recording vocals you may get some bleed. The 770s are closed.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Whirlwind

10 Aug 2020

MrFigg wrote:
10 Aug 2020
Whirlwind wrote:
10 Aug 2020

thanks for your reply

Be aware that the 880s are semi-open and the 990s are open so if you’re recording vocals you may get some bleed. The 770s are closed.
Thanks.

That is an interesting point to consider, and now Im again confused hahaha

Im just slightly concerned the 770's aren't as accurate as the 880's

joeyluck

10 Aug 2020

I like semi open for extended headphone mixing. I use different closed headphones for recording though because of bleed.

Speaking of Sennheiser, I've heard great things about the HD 280 Pro. Very affordable. Also a calibrated headphone for Waves NX if you use that.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2020

Whirlwind wrote:
10 Aug 2020
MrFigg wrote:
10 Aug 2020

Thanks.

That is an interesting point to consider, and now Im again confused hahaha

Im just slightly concerned the 770's aren't as accurate as the 880's
I guess you want to put your money into the best of the bunch but ask yourself how “accurate” your ears are. I mean any of the ones you’ve mentioned...what are you looking for in terms of “accuracy”? You’ll hear what you hear :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2020

joeyluck wrote:
10 Aug 2020
Also a calibrated headphone for Waves NX if you use that.
Good point actually. The Abbey Road version of NX is not only a tremendous help when mixing in headphones, but also fantastic to use if just working with headphones for an extended time. It's like the brain fatigue from the closed sound never happens.

So, great idea to check what headphones that the NX also calibrates for, though it is not a requirement for using NX. I have NX Abbey version and using headphones not on the list and feel the sound I hear translates very well.

Thought NX was a gimmick but became a believer after 10 min...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Whirlwind

10 Aug 2020

Thanks guys

I’ve found a 600ohm version of the DT880, is that better than the 250ohm in terms of output quality?
I’m still learning so I’m not sure how ohm affects output quality...

Boombastix
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2020

Whirlwind wrote:
10 Aug 2020
Thanks guys

I’ve found a 600ohm version of the DT880, is that better than the 250ohm in terms of output quality?
I’m still learning so I’m not sure how ohm affects output quality...
Higher Ohm has less distortion, BUT you need a strong headphone amp to drive them. Can be a hassle. And forget using them on phones and consumer stuff, there will not be much volume at all.
You probably need to be a connoisseur to hear a diff between 600 and 250 Ohm. I'm sure some YouTuber has tested this.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Kalm

10 Aug 2020

If you go the AT route, I'd recommend the M30x/M40x with Sonarworks. Much more balanced than the M50x. The bass and low mid increase is really overwhelming even with SW correction on the M50.

(User of the M30x, M50x and non X, M70x, and Sennheiser HD700)
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Whirlwind

11 Aug 2020

Thanks guys

After reading quite a bit online, the Beyers seem like front runner.
I have been reading about the Sony MDR7506’s aswell but apparently they are not great for low end and more suited for vocals.

So at the mo it’s the DT880’s 250 with external soundcard, but still researching

Skimrok

11 Aug 2020

Whirlwind wrote:
11 Aug 2020
Thanks guys

After reading quite a bit online, the Beyers seem like front runner.
I have been reading about the Sony MDR7506’s aswell but apparently they are not great for low end and more suited for vocals.

So at the mo it’s the DT880’s 250 with external soundcard, but still researching
I had a pair of the MDR v6 Sony red digital variant , yeah the bottom end is minimal I did get velour beyers dt 250 cushions for my pair which helped the comfort on them greatly , and they fitted a treat, one thing I did find with them was spiral coil lead did get tangled a lot but a pen is your friend and a spare 5 mins wrapping it round it to get it back into shape
Last edited by Skimrok on 11 Aug 2020, edited 1 time in total.
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Skimrok

11 Aug 2020

Kalm wrote:
10 Aug 2020
If you go the AT route, I'd recommend the M30x/M40x with Sonarworks. Much more balanced than the M50x. The bass and low mid increase is really overwhelming even with SW correction on the M50.

that's interesting I've never had any of there headphones but I'm intrigued with them i nearly got the 50x a few times , looks like i would of got the wrong versions so for example in your view which pair edges it for you?
M30x or the M40x :geek:

Kalm

11 Aug 2020

Skimrok wrote:
11 Aug 2020
Kalm wrote:
10 Aug 2020

that's interesting I've never had any of there headphones but I'm intrigued with them i nearly got the 50x a few times , looks like i would of got the wrong versions so for example in your view which pair edges it for you?
If you want a tad bit more bass the M40s come out a bit better. Some people have said they deliver a more flat response than the M30. I can tell you the M30s can get fatiguing though as everything is upfront.

The response graph on this site pretty much sums up what I hear, but it’s not as practica until Sonarworks makes its debut
https://reference-audio-analyzer.pro/en ... #gsc.tab=0

You can search the other ATH headphones on there as well.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Skimrok

11 Aug 2020

Kalm wrote:
11 Aug 2020
Skimrok wrote:
11 Aug 2020

If you want a tad bit more bass the M40s come out a bit better. Some people have said they deliver a more flat response than the M30. I can tell you the M30s can get fatiguing though as everything is upfront.

The response graph on this site pretty much sums up what I hear, but it’s not as practica until Sonarworks makes its debut

oh cool thank you :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: ;) ;)

Whirlwind

12 Aug 2020

Skimrok wrote:
11 Aug 2020
Kalm wrote:
11 Aug 2020

oh cool thank you :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: ;) ;)
Lol oh no, more to choose from.

I still haven't made a decision, Im close to just putting the names in the hat and see what comes out lol

These M40's also look really good for the price, their lowest frequency seems quite high compared to others
(this last sentence I think means that accurate bass mastering might be an issue, but as said before Im still learning)

Whirlwind

13 Aug 2020

So, Im just weighing things up for the final time, and I just have two final questions if anyone can help:

1. Will a focusrite solo audio interface be powerful enough for 250ohm headphones?
2. Most recommended headphones are less than 80ohm, is that hugely significant compared to freq range?

thanks guys

Kalm

14 Aug 2020

Whirlwind wrote:
13 Aug 2020
So, Im just weighing things up for the final time, and I just have two final questions if anyone can help:

1. Will a focusrite solo audio interface be powerful enough for 250ohm headphones?
2. Most recommended headphones are less than 80ohm, is that hugely significant compared to freq range?

thanks guys
Honestly, I never looked at or cared much about impedance when it came to headphones. Especially if one day you may change interfaces anyways. I'll just pull the plug on one, attempt to do a mix or master a track and go listen to it in the car to see if the changes you made correspond to what you were hearing. Rinse and repeat and you'll notice the flawsand goods the headphones give you with your system and can decide to trade or not to trade. Many of the headphones you can also audition at Guitar Center or somewhere the like.

Skimrok

14 Aug 2020

1. ,the audio interface will drive all what you said so no dramas , if it was say 600 ohm for example? Then yeah you have to be careful with your set up

2. I agree with Kalm above don't worry too much

3. You are doing this right by asking questions and doing research :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up:

EdGrip

14 Aug 2020

250 should be fine on any audio interface - it'll be quiet plugged into your phone though.
I've got a pair of DT150s in 250ohm that are fine on an audio interface. I might go for a 660 or 770 if I were buying again - all the Bayers are industry standards.
My current main headphones are AKG k712 pros. They might not be the flattest but they are the comfiest. ;)

Fotu

14 Aug 2020

joeyluck wrote:
10 Aug 2020
I like semi open for extended headphone mixing. I use different closed headphones for recording though because of bleed.

Speaking of Sennheiser, I've heard great things about the HD 280 Pro. Very affordable. Also a calibrated headphone for Waves NX if you use that.
I'm the same... I use some old but wonderful (open) Grado GS1000s for listening and mixing, but use HD 280 Pros for recording vocals to eliminate bleed. That said, I'm not fond of the HD 280 Pro sound... I use it only as long as needed to record then swap to the Grados or just monitors. For me the HD 280 Pros would not be my choice for mixing and critical listening; just my 2 cents.

• Information