Reason Studios recruit Beta Testers!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Popey
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2020

tiker01 wrote:
21 Jul 2020
Popey wrote:
21 Jul 2020
I just use rrp now but I have joined the beta as I am interested in where reason is heading and be good to use standalone for creative purposes whilst testing. Who knows what they plan to implement and maybe new developments bring me back to fully creating in reason (cough cough, track freeze, sequencer improvements). Still got a soft spot for reason despite recent changes/actions being disappointing so would like them to do well.
I am pretty sure any developments done on the RRP will be out for testing as well.
Yes this is true but I am struggling to think of what else you could add to the rrp now? Either way it allows me to see and participate with new ideas that reason implement so will give me good info on if I personally think they bring value to me. Reason obviously gets their products tested at the same time so it is win win for me.

aeox
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2020

I love this app, I'll gladly do what I can to help. Incentive? Don't need one!

selig
RE Developer

21 Jul 2020

Yonatan wrote:
20 Jul 2020
So what is the benefit for a beta tester in this?
There really is no quantifiable benefit to beta testing. One exception may be if you are interested in becoming a developer at any point in your future and want to get some experience beta testing for themselves. That's been my motivation, since the better I learn to find bugs in other products the better I can find them in my own. Plus I learn more about how to run my own beta tests, so I guess there CAN be some benefit for some folks.

As an aside, I think it's a good thing that those with no desire to test are not going to be a part of the testing team since they would likely have nothing tangible to offer. There are always more folks who want to test than end up being chosen, so I don't think there will be any problem finding enough testers!
Selig Audio, LLC

WOO

22 Jul 2020

So maybe reason 12 later this year? Or is this in advance of rolling out reason 12 as a subscription?

Steedus
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2020

loui wrote:
17 Jul 2020
1. It will not end, this is a continuous ongoing program were the aim is to update Reason on a regular basis.
I think some people missed this point. Looks like this is a way to try and get more frequent smaller updates out rather than the usual mid to large updates that come every now and then. When fixing bugs you’ve also got to consider the fact that even a simple bug fix can inadvertently create further bugs elsewhere, so a simple fix may be more complicated that you’d think, or at least require significantly more post testing to certify it.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2020

Steedus wrote:
22 Jul 2020
loui wrote:
17 Jul 2020
1. It will not end, this is a continuous ongoing program were the aim is to update Reason on a regular basis.
I think some people missed this point. Looks like this is a way to try and get more frequent smaller updates out rather than the usual mid to large updates that come every now and then. When fixing bugs you’ve also got to consider the fact that even a simple bug fix can inadvertently create further bugs elsewhere, so a simple fix may be more complicated that you’d think, or at least require significantly more post testing to certify it.
You hit the nail when you said “looks like...”. I mean why don’t RS just tell us what their idea with this is and save us a whole lot of speculation.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

kc1

22 Jul 2020

MrFigg wrote:
22 Jul 2020
Steedus wrote:
22 Jul 2020

You hit the nail when you said “looks like...”. I mean why don’t RS just tell us what their idea with this is and save us a whole lot of speculation.
because they’ll tell us their idea and then everybody will speculate on that while also turning it into a feature request thread.

jlgrimes

28 Jul 2020

Enlightenspeed wrote:
17 Jul 2020
Believe it or not there is a really useful trick you can do here which will help your songwriting and production.

Beta testing versions can obviously not be used as a full production tool - however where many people get lost is in trying to be overly conservative with "this synth sound" or "that piano line", and it grinds a creative process to a halt. When you use a testing version, however, you are forced to bounce MIDI and/or audio in order to preserve anything cool that you like, and you then pick it up later in Reason (stable version) and it's not as difficult to break the cycle than it would have been if it had been in a full song file.

This requires a "save early/save often" approach, of course, but it can help to segment things down properly, and also has the advantage that it does not necessarily generate a huge bank of version numbered .reason files which can start to weigh everything down.

It's not a utopia, but if used well it can be helpful to both yourself and the RS team.
I remember one version of Reason I beta tested, I ended up making a very cool track where I pretty much instantly bought the major release once it came out just so I could keep the song.

Jackjackdaw

09 Aug 2020

Popey wrote:
21 Jul 2020
tiker01 wrote:
21 Jul 2020

I am pretty sure any developments done on the RRP will be out for testing as well.
Yes this is true but I am struggling to think of what else you could add to the rrp now? Either way it allows me to see and participate with new ideas that reason implement so will give me good info on if I personally think they bring value to me. Reason obviously gets their products tested at the same time so it is win win for me.
I could name a few improvements to RRP. Multi timbal midi, VST hosting, Load Reason projects minus sequencer data (if you want to build a rig in Reason standalone and want to record a session in a different daw).

EnochLight

09 Aug 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
09 Aug 2020
Popey wrote:
21 Jul 2020

I could name a few improvements to RRP. Multi timbal midi, VST hosting, Load Reason projects minus sequencer data (if you want to build a rig in Reason standalone and want to record a session in a different daw).
Also, maybe improve Reason's browser (tags, etc), which would apply to both RRP and Reason DAW proper.. :thumbs_up:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

PhillipOrdonez

09 Aug 2020

EnochLight wrote:
09 Aug 2020
Jackjackdaw wrote:
09 Aug 2020

Also, maybe improve Reason's browser (tags, etc), which would apply to both RRP and Reason DAW proper.. :thumbs_up:
This is a big one. Live drops search results in an instant. All results button is a godsend, as well as ability to show plugin results. Searching in Reason is not good at all...

EnochLight

09 Aug 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
09 Aug 2020
This is a big one. Live drops search results in an instant. All results button is a godsend, as well as ability to show plugin results. Searching in Reason is not good at all...
Totally - I'd go as far as to say that Reason's current browser is one of the worst in all the DAW on the market. The browser is one area that could really use some work, and bad. :thumbs_up:
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Popey
Competition Winner

10 Aug 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
09 Aug 2020
Popey wrote:
21 Jul 2020

Hadnt thought of any of the above and thinking about it multi timbal midi would be useful for my own uses. Personally would not use the other two ideas but can see how they would bring value to a lot of rrp users. Interesting to see someone has managed to get rrp working in reason too.

dhruan

10 Aug 2020

WOO wrote:
22 Jul 2020
Or is this in advance of rolling out reason 12 as a subscription?
Ewww, hell no.

Anyhoo, signed up for the beta program.
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

ltbrunt00

10 Aug 2020

I will sign up for this, I play games that are Alpha and Beta for years and don't mind testing things out. As long as the beta version is completely separate install with no strings to the current release version.
Reason, Nuendo, Studio One
https://soundcloud.com/user-404930848

PhillipOrdonez

10 Aug 2020

I signed up when they announced it and haven't gotten access yet 😂

EnochLight

10 Aug 2020

That's because most of the company is on summer vacation right now. #Sweden

jaeproduced

11 Aug 2020

I'm thinking Beta Testing should start mid August & end Mid September with Reason 12 coming out at the end of September 2020...

PhillipOrdonez

11 Aug 2020

jaeproduced wrote:
11 Aug 2020
I'm thinking Beta Testing should start mid August & end Mid September with Reason 12 coming out at the end of September 2020...
It won't end, mate, read carefully.

DaveyG

11 Aug 2020

jaeproduced wrote:
11 Aug 2020
Reason 12 in 2020? Dream on.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

jaeproduced

13 Aug 2020

DaveyG wrote:
11 Aug 2020
jaeproduced wrote:
11 Aug 2020
What's the point in sending out a beta test if a Reason update isn't happening anytime soon, that's like never ending foreplay folks would just loose interest after a while...Reason 12 fall 2020

Creativemind

13 Aug 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
09 Aug 2020
Popey wrote:
21 Jul 2020

Great ideas and update the browser with 4 features I can think of in both standalone and the RRP...

* Better searching with tags and branches and device searching within projects (in the main daw)
* Audio Wave Display with Brackets and Tempo Sync-able
* Midi Auditioning
* Refresh Button for folders (anything new added to the folder shows up in a different colour)
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Billy+

13 Aug 2020

Another good feature would be access to the shop from within the daw.

i.e. Replace the tutorial window with the shop, for in app purchases.

EnochLight

13 Aug 2020

jaeproduced wrote:
13 Aug 2020
DaveyG wrote:
11 Aug 2020

What's the point in sending out a beta test if a Reason update isn't happening anytime soon, that's like never ending foreplay folks would just loose interest after a while...Reason 12 fall 2020
No one is doubting that there will be an update next - just maybe not full blown version 12. It's likely Reason Studios have started to move towards sending out more frequent point updates that have new features and bug fixes instead of making you wait for a full blown version number update.

guitfnky

13 Aug 2020

it boggles the mind that anyone would expect a new major version one year after their lawyers major version. sure it’s possible, but so is winning the lottery. expecting it is fantasy.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information