"Glacius X Hybrid Wave Synthesizer" New RE from DNA Labs

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
Michaellos

08 Aug 2020

Is it possible to lock the GUI to one particular colour scheme? Changes patches changes the scheme. I'd like to keep it on Glacial White. :)
No synth for old men !

"Where is my magnifying glass, Bertha? I cannot read that f*** labeling."

But anyway, it sounds pretty cool.
I'm afraid, it's all impossible. All previous releases from DNA Labs were released the way they were at the moment and it looks like they will never ever be somehow modified in the future

EnochLight

08 Aug 2020

moneykube wrote:
21 Jul 2020
thank you for the explanation... had not heard this was a common issue with SSD drives :exclamation: :thumbs_up:
To reiterate - this is not a common issue inherent to just SSD drives. This is an issue that affects all storage drives when the OS page file is filled up - mechanical hard drives and SSD's alike.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Chula_hoop78

14 Jan 2021

I've bought this RE and am running it on my new clean installed pc in reason 10. It's an i-9 with 32gb ram running from a Samsung ssd through a focusrite 4i4 and it pops and clicks ridiculously. Even just a sole instance with nothing else in the rack!!?! Where am I going wrong please guys?

antic604

14 Jan 2021

Chula_hoop78 wrote:
14 Jan 2021
I've bought this RE and am running it on my new clean installed pc in reason 10. It's an i-9 with 32gb ram running from a Samsung ssd through a focusrite 4i4 and it pops and clicks ridiculously. Even just a sole instance with nothing else in the rack!!?! Where am I going wrong please guys?
You're not giving enough info:
- what's Reason's DSP bar and drive indicator showing?
- what's Task Manager showing?
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

bidaar

28 Mar 2021

Chula_hoop78 wrote:
14 Jan 2021
Increase your buffer size
Reason 11 Suite l FL Studio l Leaning Ableton n Bitwig l Windows 10 64bit
Trying and Learning to be a : Hip-Hop / Trap , Electronic & Experimental Producer l Mixing Engineer

guitfnky

28 Mar 2021

bidaar wrote:
28 Mar 2021
Chula_hoop78 wrote:
14 Jan 2021
Increase your buffer size
that probably doesn’t help much if they want to play the patch with a keyboard (unless the buffer is already set to something absurdly low, and even then, a PC with those specs should be able to handle a single instance of just about any RE easily).

first, I’d say make sure you’re using Focusrite’s ASIO driver and that it’s up to date. if you’re using anything else, you’re bound to have problems (ASIO4ALL isn’t compatible with Focusrite, and non-ASIO drivers are almost always problematic, regardless of interface). and what sample rate are you using? I’d keep it to 44.1k or 48k until you’ve managed to get the issue sorted out (if it’s not already)

then you should find and follow one of the numerous guides out there to optimize your PC for audio production. if it’s still glitching out after that, at least we’ve narrowed the possibilities a bit.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

Eusantis

21 Nov 2021

What do you think is the best DNA Labs rack extension? I have Hydronexius and Glacius. Are Helium and Aquios worth going, for me?

Gardinski

26 Nov 2021

Eusantis wrote:
21 Nov 2021
What do you think is the best DNA Labs rack extension? I have Hydronexius and Glacius. Are Helium and Aquios worth going, for me?
Honestly, I think Glacius is the strongest. I like all of them, although I was disappointed with Aquios at first (having loved Hydronexius, DNA's first RE). Partly that was because the Aquios interface was really hard to read, because everything was so tiny and squinty. Fortunately, all that has changed since the HD update, so I've revisited it and realised it's a really nice instrument. All the DNA synths look amazing in HD, and were clearly designed with that in mind. It's just a shame they've had to wait so long to really shine.

Aquios has some lovely brass/orchestral patches that lend themselves really well to scoring. Helium is an interesting concept, but I'm not quite as keen on the heavily modulated sound it generates (with its signature pitchshifted release thingy) as I am on Glacius. Helium is definitely well designed, but it's probably not so well suited to the kind of music I make - but your needs may differ from mine, obviously.

In my opinion, Glacius is a superbly designed instrument that will be hard to beat in the category of 'advanced rompler synths'. It seems to be VERY well thought out. (I know purists will argue that these aren't synths, technically, but I think that's a somewhat pedantic position to take. Is there really any difference between starting with a sample rather than a waveform or a graintable? Yes, you may sacrifice some flexibility in using a rompler, but the sheer weight and sonic oomph of DNA's patches can often give you a fantastic starting point, which can be pretty inspiring in its own right.

If I were in your position of already owning Hydro and Glacius (my two favourites of DNA's), I'd definitely recommend picking up the factory expansion packs for Glacius. They're HUGE, and normally pretty expensive at $49 to $59 USD, but Jason/DNA has an amazing offer this week: 75% off everything ordered direct from his site. I grabbed the second and third Glacius Expansion Packs yesterday (4GB and 7GB of samples respectively, I think) for approx £21 for the pair instead of £84. Ridiculously good value, and if you already like Glacius, this will give you a lot more material to play with and tweak without necessarily having to learn a new interface.

His other smaller refills are in the offer too, and the bundles work out crazily cheap. I picked up one of the custom bundles of 12 refills for $12.50 - just over $1 per refill, including the two new 'Combinator 2' instruments, Pyrogenesys and Nexius C, which are currently £9 each if you bought them from the RS. For that price, it's a no-brainer, if you already like DNA's stuff.

I know there are a few people on the forum who really seem to have a negative attitude towards DNA, for some reason, but I've always been impressed with Jason's patchbuilding skills - and he's always been really responsive to emails etc. I think perhaps the demo songs sometimes don't show DNA's refills in the best light, because for some reason they tend to sound a bit 'samey', but the patches themselves are damn good, and capable of a far greater range of styles than the trap-oriented demos might suggest. (When I first booted up Hydronexius, it immediately screamed Prog Rock to me, which is about as far away from Trap as you can get.)

Steedus
Competition Winner

23 Dec 2021

Trialling this now. I get a lot of "This device has stopped working and has been disabled - please restart reason" if I change patches while playing.

and I'm also getting loads of pops and skips on a 2018 Macbook Pro 512GB SSD 16GB Ram loading only the one instrument in with a Scarlett 6i6. Is it just a really 'heavy' instrument? DSP meter is only on 1 bar (until there's a pop/skip, then it jumps in the red for a split second),

• Information