Pitch is going up a half step on entire project

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
sonja

27 Jul 2020

For some reason the pitch on all of my tracks went up a half step and I don't know how to fix it. I have a Pangea sound through a Dual Arpeggio and Europa sound. SOmetimes it will play the right pitches and suddenly be off- not just out of tune but by a half step-
Win10|Reason12|i7 -8565U CPU 16 GB RAM Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen, keys KontaktKompltS 88MK2, JBL 306P MkII Powrd Studio Monitors, Saxophones (silver-plate):Selmer BA Alto Daddy-O MP, Yamaha Custom Z Tenor, Robusto 7*MP, Flutes Haynes (C) DiZhau Alto

PhillipOrdonez

27 Jul 2020

Hi, have you checked it is not a faulty midi controller?

sonja

27 Jul 2020

Hello-

I don't think it's the controller- initially it records fine, but later the pitch goes up.
Win10|Reason12|i7 -8565U CPU 16 GB RAM Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 2nd Gen, keys KontaktKompltS 88MK2, JBL 306P MkII Powrd Studio Monitors, Saxophones (silver-plate):Selmer BA Alto Daddy-O MP, Yamaha Custom Z Tenor, Robusto 7*MP, Flutes Haynes (C) DiZhau Alto

jlgrimes

28 Jul 2020

sonja wrote:
27 Jul 2020
For some reason the pitch on all of my tracks went up a half step and I don't know how to fix it. I have a Pangea sound through a Dual Arpeggio and Europa sound. SOmetimes it will play the right pitches and suddenly be off- not just out of tune but by a half step-
Could it be sample rate related?

44100 to 48000. Is a bit more than a half step. So it will sound out of tune if you tried to play along a half step up but half step would be close.

I used to have this issue years ago with an old audio interface but I dont remember how exactly to fix. I just remembered that everything needs to be at same sample rate. Reason, Audio interface, OS (if there is a setting).

I'm guessing everything sounds not just tuned up but every instrument (including drums) sounds "funny" like a record player being played at faster speed?

Aquila

28 Jul 2020

sonja wrote:
27 Jul 2020
Hello-

I don't think it's the controller- initially it records fine, but later the pitch goes up.
Nonetheless, try disabling or unplugging the controller for a while to see if the problem persists.

sonja

29 Jul 2020

I will try your suggestions and get back- thanks!

moneykube

29 Jul 2020

jlgrimes wrote:
28 Jul 2020
sonja wrote:
27 Jul 2020
Could it be sample rate related?

44100 to 48000. Is a bit more than a half step. So it will sound out of tune if you tried to play along a half step up but half step would be close.

I used to have this issue years ago with an old audio interface but I dont remember how exactly to fix. I just remembered that everything needs to be at same sample rate. Reason, Audio interface, OS (if there is a setting).

I'm guessing everything sounds not just tuned up but every instrument (including drums) sounds "funny" like a record player being played at faster speed?
^^^^ my first thought was this... been there
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

sonja

03 Aug 2020

I've been trying the suggestions, no luck. I'm trying just the factory reset- I don't know if that's a good idea or not but getting depsarate. I can get it initially fixed but then it undoes itself again.

PhillipOrdonez

03 Aug 2020

Oh no, that makes no sense at all. If I understand this correctly, they are midi tracks and not audio, correct? 😱

sonja

03 Aug 2020

Midi tracks not audio- I read to disable transpose but not sure how- anyone know? I couold try that. Factory reset didn't help.

artotaku

03 Aug 2020

sonja wrote:
27 Jul 2020
Hello-

When excactly does it happen? Do you play notes on your MIDI controller and record it and then the pitch goes up while recording or does the pitch go up if you just play in Reason´s sequencer of what you had recorded? Or does the pitch go up while your are playing on your MIDI controller but are not recording?

Does the pitch go up if the MIDI controller is disconnected and you just play notes with Reason´s sequencer that you had entered on the MIDI track of your instrument? You could try that to isolate if the problem is the MIDI controller.
MIDI controllers may unintentionally (if broken) send MIDI data (controller messages) to the MIDI track of your instrument. Depending on the controller message it may influence the pitch parameter of the instrument. Do you notice any changes on the instrument (Pangea or Europa) if the pitch goes up (maybe Pitchbend wheel changes)?

Also, what others have mentioned regarding sample rate setting/audio card issue in Reason is still not out of the equation. Regardless if it is MIDI or audio at the end Reason will produce audio data and send it to the sound card drivers. So a change of sample rate by any weird driver problems could also change the pitch. I had something like that with Reason Balance Audio Interface und Windows 10. It sometimes changed sample rate to 48000 Hz and everthing was pitched up. To check that you need to look up the sample rate settings in Reason´s preferences for the sound card driver if it has changed.

sonja

03 Aug 2020

It happens both when I play notes on MIDI controller and record it and then the pitch goes up while recording and the pitch goes up if I just play in Reason´s sequencer of what was recorded. Also, the pitch goes up while playing on the MIDI controller but not recording.

I'm not sure what you mean: "Does the pitch go up if the MIDI controller is disconnected and you just play notes with Reason´s sequencer that you had entered on the MIDI track of your instrument? You could try that to isolate if the problem is the MIDI controller." How do I isolate?

How do I check changes on the instrument- I used Europa in one. As far as if the pitch goes up - not sure how to check Pitchbend wheel changes, but I haven't been intentioally using pitchbend. Some other sounds- piano sound in NNXT and scenic hybrid-

The sample rate settings in Reason´s preferences for the sound card driver hasn't changed.

Weird thing is it will also fix itself sometimes when I close out or turn keyboard off and on or restart computer, but I work for just a few minutes and it happens right in the middle of playing chords trying to write parts whether recording or not.

Also- I read that disabling transpose might be helpful, but not sure how to do that-

PhillipOrdonez

03 Aug 2020

sonja wrote:
03 Aug 2020
It happens both when I play notes on MIDI controller and record it and then the pitch goes up while recording and the pitch goes up if I just play in Reason´s sequencer of what was recorded. Also, the pitch goes up while playing on the MIDI controller but not recording.

I'm not sure what you mean: "Does the pitch go up if the MIDI controller is disconnected and you just play notes with Reason´s sequencer that you had entered on the MIDI track of your instrument? You could try that to isolate if the problem is the MIDI controller." How do I isolate?

How do I check changes on the instrument- I used Europa in one. As far as if the pitch goes up - not sure how to check Pitchbend wheel changes, but I haven't been intentioally using pitchbend. Some other sounds- piano sound in NNXT and scenic hybrid-

The sample rate settings in Reason´s preferences for the sound card driver hasn't changed.

Weird thing is it will also fix itself sometimes when I close out or turn keyboard off and on or restart computer, but I work for just a few minutes and it happens right in the middle of playing chords trying to write parts whether recording or not.

Also- I read that disabling transpose might be helpful, but not sure how to do that-
I think it is your midi controller, or you have a pitch bend automation somewhere in your project.

Does it happen at the same point every time? Then it is automation.

Does it happen randomly? Midi controller. Unplug it. Play your project and see if that fixes it. I've heard numerous times faulty midi controllers will mess up with pitch.

artotaku

04 Aug 2020

sonja wrote:
03 Aug 2020
What I meant is that you should disconnect your MIDI controller (or any other controller you might have connected) and check if the pitch is still happening while Reason´s sequencer is playing notes. If so, the MIDI controller may not be the issue. But if it only happens as soon as the MIDI controller is connected I suppose that the issues may come from the MIDI controller.

sonja

06 Aug 2020

The Nektar people referred me to their "Midi Commuinications issues" support, and it said to get MIDIOX, so I did. I selected the ports like it said and it didn't show the Note on and Note off data. In Windows only one application can access a devices MIDI ports at a time, and it says this is the cause of most of the MIDI communications issues in Windows- and that most of the time, this kind of problem is caused by having two music applications open at the same time. In those cases, you can simply close your music applications, and open the one which you would like to use with your Nektar controller first.

However, it says there are some applications which run in the back ground or are not obviously compatible with MIDI devices, so it’s not as easy to tell that there is a problem. For example, the control panel software for some Audio interfaces can be controlled via MIDI, so they can grab MIDI ports as your computer begins to start up. Also, Google Chrome has MIDI extensions, so it is recommended to make sure that Chrome is not running when you try to start your music applications.

I still have Reason 10 installed- I actually need to see if I have even older versions still installed (I've used Reason for many years!) Is it OK to uninstall Rason 10 and any others I find? Do I need to back up anything if I do?

PhillipOrdonez

06 Aug 2020

I don't think you need to uninstall Reason 10, but it is fine to do so as long as you don't need to use it for something specific like rewire. No need to backup anything either :)

Did you try playing the project without any controller connected? Those things can misbehave if a bit of dust gets in the pitch bend wheel for example and be the cause of your issues.

sonja

07 Nov 2020

Update- Nektar Panorama sent me a new pitch modulator at no charge- pretty easy install and it did the trick.

PhillipOrdonez

07 Nov 2020

Awesome! Glad you got to fix it.

WasteLand

08 Nov 2020

sonja wrote:
07 Nov 2020
Update- Nektar Panorama sent me a new pitch modulator at no charge- pretty easy install and it did the trick.
most of the times that is the cause... i had a keyboard, that when i used the pitchbend, it went never to "zero", 64 is it.. i think.. so it went never to the right note, or semitone.
i used, if i remember correctly, the pitchbend of another keyboard...

but in these cases, after troubleshooting of course, the pitch bend controller is the most common cause. calibrating, some keyboards can do it.
now, no problems anymore. other keyboard.
Win 10 Pro. R11 suite + R12. Nektar Panorama p1. Ryzen 9 5900X. Cubase Pro 11, Bitwig Studio 4.4, Reaper 6.68, Ableton Live 11 Suite. RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface.

https://soundcloud.com/sada-exposada

https://soundcloud.com/user-873737123

• Information