PSQ-1684 Rack Extension Appreciation Thread

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
VariableX

31 Jul 2020

Great idea Artotaku!
Nice sounds too. I will dust off PSQ and give this a try, thanks for another great idea 👍🏼

artotaku

31 Jul 2020

fretshot7 wrote:
31 Jul 2020
Great idea Artotaku!
Nice sounds too. I will dust off PSQ and give this a try, thanks for another great idea 👍🏼
Thanks. I dusted of Subtractor and I´m again astonished what sound variaty it offers with some minor tweakings.

mjxl

31 Jul 2020

Super nice sounds there, very clever that PSQ and CVPTs etc !

artotaku

01 Aug 2020

I improved the patch so it now supports switching off the sequencer for specific chord notes as normal arpeggiator would do.
This is done by connecting the gate signal for the input notes to CV In 5 - 8 on PSQ. These CVs control the sequencer mode of S1 - S4 to switch between column mode and off (Gate zero is off, a high gate is column mode. Additionaly, the sequencers now run in column mode and have 4 steps to have some more velocity variaty.

With the current patch chords with 4 different notes are now supported. For more notes we either run out of CV inputs or we would have to use the sequencer override INs

There is another reason why the PSQ has an advantage over all the other arpeggiators we have in Reason: Nearly everything can be remotely controlled by a MIDI controller with one device so it´s ideal for live performances.

Heres an example with the improved patch in action.

artotaku

01 Aug 2020

mjxl wrote:
31 Jul 2020
Yes, once setup you can tweak forever. Drench it in reverb and delays, instant gratification.

challism

03 Aug 2020

artotaku wrote:
01 Aug 2020
mjxl wrote:
31 Jul 2020
Yes, once setup you can tweak forever. Drench it in reverb and delays, instant gratification.
Any chance of you uploading the patch for us, so we can see exactly how you set it up? Please and thank you.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

mjxl

03 Aug 2020

challism wrote:
03 Aug 2020
Any chance of you uploading the patch for us, so we can see exactly how you set it up? Please and thank you.
I'm assuming it's something like this:
Combinator - PSQ_Europa_Sequences.zip
(7.22 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
Annotation 2020-08-03 152422.png
Annotation 2020-08-03 152422.png (578.9 KiB) Viewed 2156 times
So the "Receive Notes" player is turned off, stopping any signal from going through the chain, but we cross it with just the note value from CVPT1 to CVPT2.
Then PSQ will only deliver the gate information to CVPT2.

Also, you can leave out sequences, and just input any 5 notes via either a Scales'nChords on top of the combinator, or just play 5 notes on your keyboard.
This way you can change the notes in the sequence on the fly.

artotaku

03 Aug 2020

mjxl wrote:
03 Aug 2020
challism wrote:
03 Aug 2020
I'm assuming it's something like this:
Combinator - PSQ_Europa_Sequences.zip

Annotation 2020-08-03 152422.png

So the "Receive Notes" player is turned off, stopping any signal from going through the chain, but we cross it with just the note value from CVPT1 to CVPT2.
Then PSQ will only deliver the gate information to CVPT2.

Also, you can leave out sequences, and just input any 5 notes via either a Scales'nChords on top of the combinator, or just play 5 notes on your keyboard.
This way you can change the notes in the sequence on the fly.
It´s actually a bit different regarding the gate signals since I wanted to switch off the sequencers completely if no gate signal is coming from a specific "note line" of the chord progression. My current versions allows for max 4 notes per chord. If more is needed there are not enough Mod Matrix CV inputs on the PSQ. But you could hack it by using the Override CV inputs of the unused S5 - S8 or maybe even do it outside of the PSQ.

Here is the patch:
PSQ-4xArpeggios.zip
(6.83 KiB) Downloaded 152 times
PSQ-4xArpeggios.jpg
PSQ-4xArpeggios.jpg (432.89 KiB) Viewed 2122 times

challism

04 Aug 2020

Ah, thank you both for sharing your patches. There are so many different ways to wire things in Reason, I was unsure exactly how you had it set up. My results were different (but interesting) than those in the video. I was running my notes directly from one tap player to the second tap player (bypassing PSQ with the notes). I was only running the gate thru PSQ, which also works.

This is a great new use for PSQ. This device is an endless toolbox of inspiration.
Players are to MIDI what synthesizers are to waveforms.

ReasonTalk Rules and Guidelines

Stygian Abyss

06 Aug 2020

Many thanks to all the contributors for the nice info and music in this thread.

Can someone answer this question: if I use the mod matrix in to apply note CV to the sequencer value just like Artotaku does in his recent complex arpeggios example, and have the sequencer rotaries set to their default position (50, middle), what values should I set for CV amount in the mod matrix and in the quantizer if I want PSQ-1684 to output the same note CV value it received ?

artotaku

07 Aug 2020

Stygian Abyss wrote:
06 Aug 2020
Many thanks to all the contributors for the nice info and music in this thread.

Can someone answer this question: if I use the mod matrix in to apply note CV to the sequencer value just like Artotaku does in his recent complex arpeggios example, and have the sequencer rotaries set to their default position (50, middle), what values should I set for CV amount in the mod matrix and in the quantizer if I want PSQ-1684 to output the same note CV value it received ?
Let´s keep the quantizer out for a moment.

I think the math is CV Mod Matrix Amount = (Note CV In - S1 Value) * 1.27 which means the amount value needs to change dynamically depending on the CV Input Note. You cannot have a static value except you would modulate the amount itself by a dynamic value coming from a differnt mod source.

Example:
Your input Note is C3 which is 60 in CV.
The S1 Value at 50 is a D#3 which is 64 in CV.
CV Mod Matrix Amount = (60 - 64) * 1.27 = -5

So you have to set -5 as mod matrix amount to get C3 as the output again.

If you have one octave higher as input (C4) the mod amount needs to be higher.

Merging two CV values adds them up.

Another problem is that a Note as CV value is a value range, e. g. 60 and 61 is both C3, so there is also some rounding involved (internally Reason calculates with -1.0 to 1.0 or 0.0 to 1.0 floating point).

Why factor 1.27?

Because CV Mod Matrix Amount can only be set to max 100 and not 127 but Note values range from 0 to 127. So thats why you need to have the factor to get the mod amount.

I don´t know if the formula is 100 % correct but by testing with PSQ it nearly matches the values with some round up or down.

Stygian Abyss

08 Aug 2020

Thanks for the explanations. I'm starting to understand with my attempts at finding working values failed. But I think there's a problem with your math expression:
artotaku wrote:
07 Aug 2020
CV Mod Matrix Amount = (Note CV In - S1 Value) * 1.27
All the terms in your formula are constants or result of user inputs. I'd suggest it is, at least, missing a variable - the CV output result - somewhere to be correct.

artotaku

08 Aug 2020

Stygian Abyss wrote:
08 Aug 2020
Thanks for the explanations. I'm starting to understand with my attempts at finding working values failed. But I think there's a problem with your math expression:
artotaku wrote:
07 Aug 2020
CV Mod Matrix Amount = (Note CV In - S1 Value) * 1.27
All the terms in your formula are constants or result of user inputs. I'd suggest it is, at least, missing a variable - the CV output result - somewhere to be correct.
You are right. Thinking about it - it could be something like
noteCVIn * modMatrixAmt / maxModMatrixAmt + s1Value = noteCVOut

if noteCVin should be equal to noteCVOut and is e. g. 60 (C3) and s1Value is 64 and maxModMatrixAmt is 100:
60 * modMatrixAmt / 100 + 64 = 60
modMatrixAmt = (60 - 64) * 100 / 60
modMatrixAmt = -6.6

So the factor is not a constant but depends on the CV input value.

What is also interesting. If the CV input value is e. g. 1 (C-2) you´d need to set a modMatrixAmt of -6300 which is not possible. Lowest possible CV input value is 32 (G0)
For the max note 127 (G8) you have to set modMatrixAmt of 50.

So we can say that with a given S1 value of 50 and a mod matrix range of 0 - 100 you´re CV input note can be between G0 and G8 if input and output note should be the same.

This is the "measurement" patch
PSQ-Note-In-Equal-Note-Out.jpg
PSQ-Note-In-Equal-Note-Out.jpg (341.16 KiB) Viewed 1876 times
PSQ-Note-In-Equal-Note-Out.zip
(4.44 KiB) Downloaded 131 times

• Information