rsTouch Pro 2.9.7: 11 for 11

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
marcuswitt

31 Jul 2020

Delora Software wrote:
31 Jul 2020
chimp_spanner wrote:
31 Jul 2020
I guess it’s worth asking one more time - why is it USA only?
Well, we are a tiny business, and are kind of shy about publicly discussing business matters. The short version is that we shifted all of our iOS app sales to USA-only for some business reasons, but mainly for personal reasons.
Personal reasons? "America first!" ? Hopefully not... :? But even if that's the case then, yeah, it's still your own and personal decision, which we have to accept.
I think the business reasons you've mentioned seem to be more plausible in this particular case, alone if we think of all these individual currencies and exchange rates, tax laws, tax declaration and refund systems and such things in different regions of the world can be challenging and confusing for some - and not only small - businesses.
Sad though that not more users (outside of the US) can purchase that App. But well, as a well-known saying goes: "...One person's suffering is another's joy...". And so it's probably just a matter of time before another SW developer may build and offer something similar to rsTouch Pro - worldwide. :puf_smile: Nevertheless, Doug, thanks for your effort and your honest answers. I wish you continued success with your company.

gullum

31 Jul 2020

Delora Software wrote:
31 Jul 2020
Well, we are a tiny business, and are kind of shy about publicly discussing business matters. The short version is that we shifted all of our iOS app sales to USA-only for some business reasons, but mainly for personal reasons.
I know that in the end is all your decision and your company but by being US only you are excluding 7 billion people
I did buy reTouch some time ago and have it on my older ipad but can't upgrade and don't think I can in the future because I am not from the US

doze

31 Jul 2020

Doug must have been legally silenced or it's lack of availability elsewhere is the biggest kept secret.

Delora Software

31 Jul 2020

gullum wrote:
31 Jul 2020
I did buy reTouch some time ago and have it on my older ipad but can't upgrade and don't think I can in the future because I am not from the US
You can update to the latest update that is compatible with your iPad. I mentioned a procedure for doing this two pages back but will repeat the main parts here so that people do not have to hunt for it.
  • If you purchased rsTouch previously from any Country's iOS App Store you can download the most current version by accessing it from the Purchases section of the iOS App Store app running on your iDevice. Use this to download the app to a new iDevice, or any time you need to do a fresh app install.
  • You can take advantage of this iOS App Store app feature to update a previously downloaded app. First delete the app from the device, then re-download it from the iOS App Store app Purchases area.
  • The iOS App Store app today only shows an update available for an app if the country's iOS App Store that your iDevice is logged into currently has that app available for purchase. If your country's iOS App Store does not have the app available for purchase you will not receive the update notice. You can, however, download the update by using the previously mentioned "delete, then download" procedure.
Here is a concise, step-by-step method for how to update rsTouch if your region's iOS App Store is outside the USA:
  1. Back up your iPad. This step is probably unnecessary but it is good insurance.
  2. Open up the App Store app on your iPad and tap the account icon that is in the upper right corner. This will show your App Store account. Look for the item “Purchased” and tap it. This will show all the apps that you have purchased. Locate rsTouch in the list. Only proceed to the next step if you see it!
  3. Delete rsTouch from your iPad.
  4. Open the App Store app again and repeat step #2 to locate rsTouch in your list of purchases. Tap the download icon at the right (looks like a cloud with an arrow) and rsTouch will load.
The above procedure and comments are based on how the iOS App Store seems to currently work. Keep in mind though that this is Apple's iOS App Store, only they decide how it operates, and they can change it at any time.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software
Developer of rsTouch Pro for Reason, and rsRemote for Reason

Delora Software

31 Jul 2020

marcuswitt wrote:
31 Jul 2020
Personal reasons? "America first!" ? Hopefully not... :? But even if that's the case then, yeah, it's still your own and personal decision, which we have to accept.
No, the reasons have nothing to do with politics, borderless markets, nationalism, global warming, or any similar thing. I apologize if my statement lead anyone to believe such a thing.

Work-life balance is a much talked about topic, perhaps even more relevant now given the events of the past six-plus months. A small business exerts unique forces on the work-life equation. Often you must decide to sacrifice one side in order to meet the needs of the other. Such decisions can be hard. This was one of those.

And with that, I think it would be more appropriate, and in the spirit of what this forum is about, to return the subject to discussing how best to use rsTouch to help make music. I would be happy to field any questions about using rsTouch with Reason.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

Purpan

01 Aug 2020

Thanks for clarifying. As a happy user of the app (and a successful non-US updater using the method described above) I have just one query. I’m using rstouch with Reason 10 and Reason 11 Light. In both cases I have the latest ipad update and the latest codec files on the macbook. The app works with no problems, but the « i » light keeps flashing red, and there’s a message to say there are midi errors.

marcuswitt

01 Aug 2020

Delora Software wrote:
31 Jul 2020
marcuswitt wrote:
31 Jul 2020
No, the reasons have nothing to do with politics, borderless markets, nationalism, global warming, or any similar thing. I apologize if my statement lead anyone to believe such a thing.

Work-life balance is a much talked about topic, perhaps even more relevant now given the events of the past six-plus months. A small business exerts unique forces on the work-life equation. Often you must decide to sacrifice one side in order to meet the needs of the other. Such decisions can be hard. This was one of those.

And with that, I think it would be more appropriate, and in the spirit of what this forum is about, to return the subject to discussing how best to use rsTouch to help make music. I would be happy to field any questions about using rsTouch with Reason.
Hi Doug,

thanks allot for your reply and a final clarification of that matter. I appreciate your clear and honest statements. 👍
But returning to the topic of using rsTouch Pro isn’t a topic that is for everyone due to the restricted availability of your product. And by returning - in a worldwide accessible forum - to a topic that applies mainly to those who are located in the US excludes others from actively participating and contributing. Therefore, I find it totally normal and understandable that critical and provocative questions and comments are coming up.
I hope you’re getting my point as I got yours. 😉 From my perspective: case closed.

Delora Software

01 Aug 2020

marcuswitt wrote:
01 Aug 2020
I hope you’re getting my point as I got yours. 😉 From my perspective: case closed.
Likewise.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

chimp_spanner

01 Aug 2020

Delora Software wrote:
31 Jul 2020
chimp_spanner wrote:
31 Jul 2020
I guess it’s worth asking one more time - why is it USA only?
Hey Doug - appreciate the response. I’ll admit to being ignorant of how things work for app developers. It was just a little odd/frustrating to get deliberate silence on it *only* because it’s such a great app and it really enhances Reason for me. And I’d like it to do so for my producer friends here too :) Also it kind of left people wondering if it SHOULD be available for them, or ever will. So I hope my repeated questioning wasn’t taken the wrong way. I enjoy what you’ve made and I hope that things change in the future to a point where other people can too.

But in any case thanks for at least addressing it.

Delora Software

01 Aug 2020

chimp_spanner wrote:
01 Aug 2020
So I hope my repeated questioning wasn’t taken the wrong way.
It wasn't. I thought it was coming from a good place, your enthusiasm for rsTouch.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

Delora Software

01 Aug 2020

Purpan wrote:
01 Aug 2020
Thanks for clarifying. As a happy user of the app (and a successful non-US updater using the method described above) I have just one query. I’m using rstouch with Reason 10 and Reason 11 Light. In both cases I have the latest ipad update and the latest codec files on the macbook. The app works with no problems, but the « i » light keeps flashing red, and there’s a message to say there are midi errors.
How are you connecting to Reason, wired MIDI, wired network MIDI, or Wi-Fi MIDI?

Also, make sure that you do not have anything else sharing the same MIDI connection, either on the computer, or on the iPad. The MIDI connection must be exclusive to rsTouch.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

Purpan

04 Aug 2020

Delora Software wrote:
01 Aug 2020
Purpan wrote:
01 Aug 2020
How are you connecting to Reason, wired MIDI, wired network MIDI, or Wi-Fi MIDI?

Also, make sure that you do not have anything else sharing the same MIDI connection, either on the computer, or on the iPad. The MIDI connection must be exclusive to rsTouch.
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I’m using wi-fi midi and there are no other midi devices connected, either wired on on the wi-fi network. The message in the info panel talks about midi errors with the codec, but I have the latest files installed. as I say, it works well, though :)

Delora Software

04 Aug 2020

Purpan wrote:
04 Aug 2020
Delora Software wrote:
01 Aug 2020

Hi. Thanks for the reply. I’m using wi-fi midi and there are no other midi devices connected, either wired on on the wi-fi network. The message in the info panel talks about midi errors with the codec, but I have the latest files installed. as I say, it works well, though :)
When you tap on "MIDI interface status and help" you will see the Connection Help screen. At the bottom there is a panel "MIDI Interface Status". What error count does that show?
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

Purpan

04 Aug 2020

Delora Software wrote:
04 Aug 2020
Purpan wrote:
04 Aug 2020

When you tap on "MIDI interface status and help" you will see the Connection Help screen. At the bottom there is a panel "MIDI Interface Status". What error count does that show?
Hi. It says « rstouch codec: midi interface errors ».

Delora Software

04 Aug 2020

Purpan wrote:
04 Aug 2020
Delora Software wrote:
04 Aug 2020

Hi. It says « rstouch codec: midi interface errors ».
That message is from the "Info Screen". Tap on the red "Connect" button. That will show you the "MIDI Connections" screen. There is a button two-thirds of the way down, under "Additional Information and Help", labeled "MIDI interface status and help". Tap on that to show the "Connection Help" screen. What does the "MIDI Interface Status" panel at the lower left of that screen show for "Total data errors" and "Peak error rate"?

Tap the clear button and exit out of the popup screens, then use rsTouch normally but try to notice when the "Info" button at the top starts to blink red. Immediately travel back to the Connection Help screen and write down the "Total data errors" and "Peak error rate" numbers and post them here.

Those two numbers will give me an idea of what might be the cause. rsTouch is reporting any MIDI commands that it receives that could not have come from its codec. These unexpected MIDI commands are caused either by transmission errors (e.g. a marginal Wi-Fi connection), or something sending on the network MIDI connection that should not be.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

Purpan

05 Aug 2020

Hi again. Thanks for your continued attention.

total data errors: 44 (then rises)
Peak error rate: 1.70

Wi-fi connection to macbook air with latest codec for rsTouch. No other midi connection, either wired or wireless or bluetooth.

I hope that helps.

Delora Software

05 Aug 2020

Purpan wrote:
05 Aug 2020

Wi-fi connection to macbook air with latest codec for rsTouch. No other midi connection, either wired or wireless or bluetooth.

I hope that helps.
rsTouch asks Reason what version of the rsTouch codec is in use and displays either a warning or an error when a mismatch, depending on how much the mismatch impacts expected operation. If there was a codec version problem rsTouch would clearly communicate that.

"Total data errors" shows the cumulative errors recorded since rsTouch was started, or last brought back to the foreground. You can also restart the count by tapping the "Clear" button. This number increases every time an error is detected. rsTouch periodically requests status information from Reason so even if everything is idle there is still an opportunity to detect an error.

rsTouch calculates the average number of errors within a moving time window. This provides a sense of the connection quality. The "iButton" flashes depending on the most recent average error rate calculation. "Red" means a high error rate, "Yellow" a more modest rate. No flashing means everything is working as expected. "Peak error rate" shows the worst case average error rate that has been recorded since the error tracking system was last cleared.

Try this experiment. Load a Reason project and get rsTouch connected and working as normal. Set your iPad down on a desk or other surface approximately where you normally use rsTouch. Leave Reason idle, and watch rsTouch's "iButton" for a short while. Does it just flash red, or does it cycle through a pattern of flashing red, then yellow, then stop for a brief instance, and finally back to red? Like this:

red -> yellow -> off -> red -> yellow ...

There is one thing you should check in your set up. Open up macOS's Audio Midi Setup application and bring up the "MIDI Network Setup" window. Select the session you use for rsTouch in the "My Sessions" list. At the lower right you will find "Live routings" and two popup menu items. Make sure both of those popups show "-". They should not be shown connected to any MIDI source/destination.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

Purpan

05 Aug 2020

Delora Software wrote:
05 Aug 2020
Purpan wrote:
05 Aug 2020

I hope that helps.
rsTouch asks Reason what version of the rsTouch codec is in use and displays either a warning or an error when a mismatch, depending on how much the mismatch impacts expected operation. If there was a codec version problem rsTouch would clearly communicate that.

"Total data errors" shows the cumulative errors recorded since rsTouch was started, or last brought back to the foreground. You can also restart the count by tapping the "Clear" button. This number increases every time an error is detected. rsTouch periodically requests status information from Reason so even if everything is idle there is still an opportunity to detect an error.

rsTouch calculates the average number of errors within a moving time window. This provides a sense of the connection quality. The "iButton" flashes depending on the most recent average error rate calculation. "Red" means a high error rate, "Yellow" a more modest rate. No flashing means everything is working as expected. "Peak error rate" shows the worst case average error rate that has been recorded since the error tracking system was last cleared.

Try this experiment. Load a Reason project and get rsTouch connected and working as normal. Set your iPad down on a desk or other surface approximately where you normally use rsTouch. Leave Reason idle, and watch rsTouch's "iButton" for a short while. Does it just flash red, or does it cycle through a pattern of flashing red, then yellow, then stop for a brief instance, and finally back to red? Like this:

red -> yellow -> off -> red -> yellow ...

There is one thing you should check in your set up. Open up macOS's Audio Midi Setup application and bring up the "MIDI Network Setup" window. Select the session you use for rsTouch in the "My Sessions" list. At the lower right you will find "Live routings" and two popup menu items. Make sure both of those popups show "-". They should not be shown connected to any MIDI source/destination.
Hello again. Eureka! It was your final suggestion - the changed settings in Audio Midi Setup. No error message at all now. Thanks very much indeed. For me, rsTouch definitely adds an enormous amount to the value of Reason, and it’s great to have the error messages gone.

Delora Software

05 Aug 2020

Purpan wrote:
05 Aug 2020
Delora Software wrote:
05 Aug 2020
Hello again. Eureka! It was your final suggestion - the changed settings in Audio Midi Setup. No error message at all now. Thanks very much indeed. For me, rsTouch definitely adds an enormous amount to the value of Reason, and it’s great to have the error messages gone.
That is great news! I've seen this network MIDI configuration mistake happen a number of times. We show the correct setting on our website but I have also seen other websites that discuss how to set up network MIDI for general use that advocate the incorrect way.

"Live routings" is a feature that is available when you want to do a direct connect between a network MIDI device and another MIDI device, like a hardware synth connected using USB of DIN MIDI. It is a way of doing that without needing a DAW or other software to do the routing. It also delivers lower latency because of some special features deep in macOS CoreMIDI that enable this type of "pass through" connection.

The "Live routings" feature is not normally necessary when using network MIDI with a software application like Reason or another DAW. A network MIDI session automatically creates its own software "virtual MIDI" port. Application can use that to communicate to a network MIDI device. When you manually set the Live routings to that same virtual MIDI port you end up with a loopback situation, and every MIDI message that the network MIDI device sends ends up coming back to it. rsTouch views those extra messages as errors.
Doug

Douglas Kraul
Delora Software

johnamaro

09 Dec 2020

ljekio wrote:
31 Jul 2020
Delora Software wrote:
31 Jul 2020
I guess they never considered the possibility of someone browsing for a product on the phone for use on the iPad ;-)
When I didn’t have an ipad, I couldn’t take the ipad-app for free or at a discount from the iphone. There may be a reason for this.
Appstore is sometimes strange, for some reason the wishlist was removed, the still incomprehensible ban on the use of WhatsApp on the iPad...
Have you ever used a third party app on your iPad like this https://gbapps.net/ogwhatsapp-apk/ because I once used one such app and my WhatsApp account was Banned I am still getting information to open my account but I can't get Anything that could un-banned my Whatsapp account

bidaar

11 Mar 2021

any alternative guys ? guys I cant find this one in App Store and I foundout its discontinued :( . I need something like that for reason , why everything needs to be a pain in the a** for reason :)))) FL Studio has the IL Remote and its free and amazing
Reason 11 Suite l FL Studio l Leaning Ableton n Bitwig l Windows 10 64bit
Trying and Learning to be a : Hip-Hop / Trap , Electronic & Experimental Producer l Mixing Engineer

himawari

31 Mar 2022

Any other alternatives ? guys , I haven't found this fm whatsapp latest version in the App Store or in the App Store. I also discovered it's been removed :( . I'm in need of something like that to justify the reason why everything has to be an inconvenience** to justify a :)))) FL Studio has the IL Remote for free, and it's fantastic

• Information