Expression Input/ Footswitch input question.

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2020

Trying to work this one out. My Panorama T4 has an Expression jack and a FS jack. My expression pedal (M-Audio) works fine in the Expression input.
So...I wanted to control the on off parameter on an RE using the FS jack...that's just on/off right? First I put my M-Audio expression pedal into the FS jack...that didn't work. Then I tried the damper pedal from my Kawai ES100 electric piano and that didn't work. Then I tried the footwitch pedal for my Fender Hotrod Deluxe amplifier and that worked...well the left switch did in any case. Would I be right in saying that the M-Audio and the Kawai pedal wouldn't work in the FS jack as they have a curve instead of a simple on/off?
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

retreed
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2020

A sustain pedal can only send two MIDI values, "0" for "up" and "127" for "down", nothing else.
Your expression pedal can send the MIDI values between "0" and "127".

While it is technically not 100% impossible to use an expression pedal as a sustain pedal, it's not really a desired thing to do due to the different mechanics of both.
Just get a Nektar NP-1 or 2, depending on what style you prefer. There is also cheaper pedals around. The T4 checks upon polarity of the pedal on after a restart, so mostly everything should work without hassle that is called "sustain pedal".

MrFigg
Competition Winner

31 Jul 2020

retreed wrote:
31 Jul 2020
A sustain pedal can only send two MIDI values, "0" for "up" and "127" for "down", nothing else.
Your expression pedal can send the MIDI values between "0" and "127".

While it is technically not 100% impossible to use an expression pedal as a sustain pedal, it's not really a desired thing to do due to the different mechanics of both.
Just get a Nektar NP-1 or 2, depending on what style you prefer. There is also cheaper pedals around. The T4 checks upon polarity of the pedal on after a restart, so mostly everything should work without hassle that is called "sustain pedal".
Thanks...yeah, I figured out the "sustain pedal" from my Kawai wasn't working basically because it's not just simple on/off. It's got a half damper.
Already ordered the NP-1. Looks fine :).
Thanks again.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

• Information