ASM Hydrasynth

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
diminished
Competition Winner

05 Sep 2019

:reason: Most recent track: resentment (synthwave) || Others: on my YouTube channel •ᴗ•

dhruan

18 Sep 2019

:D

Sonicstate did a video review of that synth, pretty much made me go: "Hmmmmmmmmm... Do want!". Looks like a really accessible piece of kit with loads and loads of potential, love the character of the sounds that were pulled out of it. I can most definitely see myself getting one in the future...

soundcloud.com/armsgrade

loopeydoug

18 Sep 2019

8 knobs and 8 buttons. But, you CAN use it in another Daw, so, pretty close.

selig
RE Developer

18 Sep 2019

If you don't need hardware, e.g. poly aftertouch, wheels, ribbons, then this is like an improved Europa.
If you DO need hardware, it's even better.
Early reports from Knobcon friends are expressing great things about the wheels, ribbon, and most of all the implementation of the poly aftertouch keyboard.
Selig Audio, LLC

dusan.cani

04 Oct 2019

Sounds pretty characterful ! love it...

dhruan

04 Oct 2019

dusan.cani wrote:
04 Oct 2019
Sounds pretty characterful ! love it...
Well fuck me, I *am* going to get one as soon as fun funds allow. That one is freaking accessible and that equals loads of fun. :clap: <3
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

bxbrkrz

04 Oct 2019

diminished wrote:
05 Sep 2019
Europa sounds much, much better.
757365206C6F67696320746F207365656B20616E73776572732075736520726561736F6E20746F2066696E6420776973646F6D20676574206F7574206F6620796F757220636F6D666F7274207A6F6E65206F7220796F757220696E737069726174696F6E2077696C6C206372797374616C6C697A6520666F7265766572

dhruan

30 Jul 2020

Anyone else here with a Hydrasynth? Finally pulled the trigger on the keyboard version and am waiting for the order to be processed, hopefully get to collect it after work today...
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

O1B

30 Jul 2020

Congrats! :thumbs_up: Enjoy! It looks/sounds like a Great Synth.
dhruan wrote:
30 Jul 2020
Anyone else here with a Hydrasynth? Finally pulled the trigger on the keyboard version and am waiting for the order to be processed, hopefully get to collect it after work today...

loopeydoug

30 Jul 2020

dhruan wrote:
30 Jul 2020
I have the keyboard version. It's fantastic. I think the concept and architecture make it an instant classic. It's so fun to play.

dhruan

30 Jul 2020

loopeydoug wrote:
30 Jul 2020
dhruan wrote:
30 Jul 2020
I have the keyboard version. It's fantastic. I think the concept and architecture make it an instant classic. It's so fun to play.
Cool! How do feel about the way it integrates to Reason and your workflow? Any tips/hints at getting it set up? :D

This is my first "proper" hardware synth so will be fun... was also thinking of using it as the master keyboard but will have to see, currently running Novation ReMOTE61 for that purpose.
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

loopeydoug

30 Jul 2020

dhruan wrote:
30 Jul 2020
loopeydoug wrote:
30 Jul 2020

Cool! How do feel about the way it integrates to Reason and your workflow? Any tips/hints at getting it set up? :D

This is my first "proper" hardware synth so will be fun... was also thinking of using it as the master keyboard but will have to see, currently running Novation ReMOTE61 for that purpose.
I don't use it as a controller. I only run audio out into Reason, sometimes sending MIDI from Reason to it.

dhruan

30 Jul 2020

Ok, most likely will end up doing just that. :) Have it already installed in place, currently figuring out the routing via Focusrite LS56 / Saffire MixControl... as in, that routing table is not the easiest to understand, especially when this is the first time I am using it to patch audio sources other than microphones through it. Oh well, just found tutorials on how it should work so hopefully I get it running proper in a few.
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

loopeydoug

30 Jul 2020

dhruan wrote:
30 Jul 2020
Ok, most likely will end up doing just that. :) Have it already installed in place, currently figuring out the routing via Focusrite LS56 / Saffire MixControl... as in, that routing table is not the easiest to understand, especially when this is the first time I am using it to patch audio sources other than microphones through it. Oh well, just found tutorials on how it should work so hopefully I get it running proper in a few.
Wait, you just picked it up after work and you're currently figuring out how to properly route the audio through your interface? How are you not slapping some headphones on and just melting your mind for the remainder of the evening?! :mrgreen:

dhruan

31 Jul 2020

loopeydoug wrote:
30 Jul 2020
dhruan wrote:
30 Jul 2020
Wait, you just picked it up after work and you're currently figuring out how to properly route the audio through your interface? How are you not slapping some headphones on and just melting your mind for the remainder of the evening?! :mrgreen:
Had a lot of stuff to do and I just wanted to run it through my monitors... was also tired as heck and went to bed early. Anyway, I managed to fix the routing issues (which were actually not routing issues at all...). As in, I had for some unfathomable reason disabled all the other audio inputs aside from 1 & 2 in Reason. Took a while to figure it out.

But now... holy fucking hell is this thing fun! And I love the sound quality, expressiveness and playability.

And this will most likely not be the last hardware synth for me. Already have my eye on Malekko Manther for a beast of an monosynth... I am just glad that I am not that interested in modular stuff... yet. :puf_bigsmile:
soundcloud.com/armsgrade

Karim
Competition Winner

01 Aug 2020

Europa sounds much much worst.
diminished wrote:
05 Sep 2019
Karim Le Mec : Dj/Producer/Label Owner ( :reason: 11.3+ R12  IMac 2016 21")
FOLLOW Karim Le Mec
https://www.youtube.com/user/lemecdj
https://karimlemec.weebly.com/
https://soundcloud.com/karimlemec
https://t.me/reasonstudiosworld

Mondopp2u

09 Aug 2020

Had mine since Jan. It's a great great synth and they're quite responsive to their base!!

danc

11 Dec 2021

Mondopp2u wrote:
09 Aug 2020
Had mine since Jan. It's a great great synth and they're quite responsive to their base!!
Well... about a year ago I set my eyes on a Hydrasynth... and said I must have one. But at the time I was tempted towards buying a bunch of smaller devices (korg minilogue XD, behringer neutron and arturia microfreak)... thinking I'd have more fun with a broad palette of sound creating tools. I found myself not using them anywhere near as much as I'd hoped. Yes... the XD can do lush warm stuff.. the mircrofreak can just be out there and interesting. The neutron became my least used tool.... behringers absolutely barking mad USB compatibility tested my patience ...

If you have like over 10 USB devices on Windows you can have nightmares with a new device being discovered in your daw. And their editor tool continously failed to discover my plugged in neutron Most manufacturers know about this problem and have fixed it. Whereas... behringer..... seem to think that the owner of their devices needs a doctorate in computer science to get it hooked up. anyway .. I sorted it.

Anyway.. the neutrons connection issues aside... once I got it hooked up... the lack of midi cc control forced me down the road of live amends, which is fine for some situations but very restrictive for most.

So.. where is this leading. I sold the xd, neutron and freak. And.... upgraded (side stepped?) to a hydrasynth. Wow oh wow. This device gives me what I dreamt those other devices would, but with superb hands on editing, very interesting sound palette, midi cc controllability and instant USB connectivity.

I got the desktop version and run it thru arturias keystep Pro. OK.. I miss out on the control strip, poly aftertouch (have to go with channel aftertouch) and chords. I've told myself... if this thing keeps giving then I'll move up to the keyboard version. And before you ask.... I opted not to get the explorer due to the much more confined editing panel and the lack of cv inputs, which offer audio input routing.

After that long spiel. All i set out to do was bump this thread to the top as it hasn't been touched for like a year. And i wanted to hear from other ASM owners. Are you still fanboys/girls... or just moved onto other things? Like the pro3, take 5, super 6, modwave etc. My gut feeling is the asm could become a staple in my hardware lineup. Or is this just GAS feelings that'll soon dissipate?
Check my Soundcloud:

selig
RE Developer

11 Dec 2021

Not an owner yet, but the Deluxe version has got my interest.
Shortly after getting Peak, Novation released Summit. I then dreamed about a similar thing happening to HydraSynth and lo and behold it DID happen. The only thing I had on my list that were not added were
•dual arpeggiators
•dual CV I/O
•ribbon AND pads (there's room!)
•binaural 8 voice mode (like Super6)

Otherwise, it's everything I hoped for and at a decent price considering the power you get. Trying to make the final decision (and save a little bit more) to pull the trigger, but unless something totally new comes on the scene this WILL be my next synth purchase!
Selig Audio, LLC

demt

12 Dec 2021

Whats this about external keyboards unable to do chords in the hydra desktop.
Reason 12 ,gear4 music sdp3 stage piano .nektar gxp 88,behringer umc1800 .line6 spider4 30
hear scince reason 2.5

danc

12 Dec 2021

demt wrote:
12 Dec 2021
Whats this about external keyboards unable to do chords in the hydra desktop.
Next to the Octave UP/DOWN on the keyboard edition is a CHORD mode. Once set its one finger chord playing.

To be honest, I can do CHORD mode on my Keystep Pro hooked up to the Hydrasynth Desktop - so not the end of the world loss.

MORE OF A LOSS is poly-aftertouch and ribbon from an external keyboard controller. But the built-in pads have poly-aftertouch.
Attachments
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (727.58 KiB) Viewed 2452 times
Check my Soundcloud:

BumCuddle

14 Dec 2021

Well here is another look at it from Red Means Recording posted just now...

• Information