20 years of using Reason

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
drk73

29 Jul 2020

😂

rgdaniel

29 Jul 2020

My first DAW was Opcode Vision, later Studio Vision, in the mid-90s, which I got pretty adept with by the time Gibson bought it and dumped it in the trash around 1998 or so. After a suitable period of mourning, I started playing with Reason 2.5 around 2004 I think. Had some fun with it, but it seemed under-featured compared to Vision. Reason 4 got it closer, and I enjoyed that for a while, but then I didn't do much of anything for a long while. Reason 9.5 got me back in the fold, and I've never looked back.

mcatalao
Competition Winner

29 Jul 2020

I've used it since 2005, earlier if i count reason adapted 2.5.

aeox
Competition Winner

29 Jul 2020

Damn, I was in 1st grade when the first version was released :D

I remember in 6th grade my guitar teacher used Reason. But I had no idea what it was all about.

fieldframe
RE Developer

29 Jul 2020

Billy wrote:
29 Jul 2020
lol it's been so long I decided to get my boxes out and it turns out I was running it since version 1

The box is still in perfect condition with cds and manual

That's a version one box / 2 upgrade then 6 7 8 9 upgrades. I've gone with digital only since.

So I must be hitting 20 years...
That Y2K-era, TDR-inspired box art for 1.0 😍

PhillipOrdonez

29 Jul 2020

I used a copy given by a friend around 2001 or 2002. Not sure if it was version 1 or 2. Then got the cracks for version 4 and 5 when they became available.

I finally bought it in 6.5.🕺

VariableX

29 Jul 2020

I had cracked versions back in the day can't remember which version but it feels like nearly 20 years ago...haha.
Im sure i had a cracked rebirth back then too, I never used either of them outside of an initial fiddle.. I first bought Reason v10 👍🏼 what stopped me using Reason up until then was that it never had audio recording, then when it did I was a linux user without access to windows and Reason plus Windows license and new PC as my linux box wasnt poweful enough was always too costly to justify, I always wanted Reason though so i guess you could say I waited 20 years 😂 - well 18 as i've had 10 a couple if tears now...

avasopht
Competition Winner

29 Jul 2020

Crazy to think I've been using Reason for little over half of my life now!!!

I too started out with a crack. I was using Computer Muzys at the time, but I took part in facilitating a summer scheme that had many programmes, including music production. The guy running the production workshop gave me a copy of Reason. I had no interest at first until I saw one of the attendees using it.

I was blown away.

The following year I ran my own music production workshop and had them order two copies of Reason. Some of the attendees are still using it!

I've learned so much. Reason (and the forum) has been integral to my growth as a composer.

And I'm glad they took so long to bring us REs and VSTs, because that forced me to learn how to program patches and build my own chains at a level I wouldn't have had to if I had Kontakt.

Billy+

29 Jul 2020

I can't believe how many people have used a cracked version of reason

It's your fault I don't get free updates :lol:

I use free vst's
I use free Rack Extensions

I pay for what I want and like!

Bad form people. :roll:

CephaloPod

30 Jul 2020

Mich01 wrote:
29 Jul 2020
Yes, that's quite some time.
I started on R1 somewhere in 2001. It gave me a voucher for a free upgrade to Reason 2.0, that was planned for early 2002.

Greetz Michel
Ooh, that sounds familiar. I must have started with 1.0 maybe a couple of months before 2.0 came out, then upgraded for free.
2011 iMac i7; 24 GB RAM; OSX Sierra; Nektar LX 49; MOTU Microbook
Reason/Logic

DaveyG

30 Jul 2020

Billy wrote:
29 Jul 2020
I can't believe how many people have used a cracked version of reason
It's the way many people start and a chunk of them go on to buy the proper version later. Of course, many don't, but they were never going to buy it anyway! Do you ever wonder whether Reason would be more successful if the latest generations of kids could get hold of a cracked copy of it?

Billy+

30 Jul 2020

I think learning to save up for something you want is a good life lesson, much the same when you find out your computer is running like a bag of ...... after downloading a key gen / cracking software only to find that your computer is now being held ransom by some malware.

Either way I guess trials could last a bit longer for more expensive software, 30 days in the case of Reason given what's in it really doesn't seem like long enough to make a decision over spending big $$$$$ £££££ €€€€€

I guess we all have our own moral code to some degree and I would never judge anyone over software piracy, I was just surprised so many own up to it in a public forum.

drk73

30 Jul 2020

Me too started with cracked version.
But after I felt in love - I byed it.
Demo mode must be for more months, or forever.

I think, that using cracked version (when demo version is for 30 days only) made more users to buy original.
Do you ever wonder whether Reason would be more successful if the latest generations of kids could get hold of a cracked copy of it?
For me, the answer is yes.

avasopht
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2020

Billy wrote:
30 Jul 2020
I think learning to save up for something you want is a good life lesson, much the same when you find out your computer is running like a bag of ...... after downloading a key gen / cracking software only to find that your computer is now being held ransom by some malware.

Either way I guess trials could last a bit longer for more expensive software, 30 days in the case of Reason given what's in it really doesn't seem like long enough to make a decision over spending big $$$$$ £££££ €€€€€

I guess we all have our own moral code to some degree and I would never judge anyone over software piracy, I was just surprised so many own up to it in a public forum.
It's quite hard not to judge others who act or behave differently to you or don't share your convictions. And it's easy to assume things about people and to bundle them together into a homogenous group of "others".

The thinking is pretty much: "Group X collectively causes lost sales ... therefore every member of X causes lost sales and is a parasite."

That you have committed paying customers who started out using the software illegitimately is a firm reminder that it's not all black and white. Nuanced thinking is pretty rare. Sound nuanced thinking - even rarer.

There are, of course, freeloaders and those who are morally bankrupt. And piracy, no doubt, results in a (presumably large) number of lost sales. The mistake, I think, is to presume a shared identity and moral code. So sure, maybe all these people who started out on dodgy copies are morally deficient. And yet they came around in the end.

---

As for trials. I've no idea what's best. It differs from person to person. PH tried the unlimited trial without saves, but now they've switched to the 30-day full-featured trial. I'm guessing their data shows the latter works best.

Korg, on the other hand, opts for the 20-minute timeout with no patch loading/saving.

Presonus has a 1-month full-featured trial, as well a monthly subscription you can end/pause at any time.

From a marketing perspective, it's a combination of enticing users to try the product to get hooked while mitigating perceived risk on a high involvement purchase. It's a tricky balancing act.

That being said, the best demo of all time was Tony Hawks Pro Skater on the PS1. It was time and feature limited but by far one of the best gaming experiences available at the time. It's no wonder it sold like hot cakes.
Last edited by avasopht on 30 Jul 2020, edited 1 time in total.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

30 Jul 2020

I got a burned copy of Reason 1.0 from a friend. I installed it, pressed some buttons, had no idea what I was doing and so figured that was the end for me. Then a little while later a friend offered me a legit copy for free. I thanked him but refused as I figured he’d be better giving it to someone who’d understand it. Then when Record came out I got that, thought it was awesome, bought a full license upgrade from Reason 4 Adapted which I got bundled free with something and that’s been me up until today. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

bangaio

30 Jul 2020

I was onboard from v1 and I remember spending hours in my university's computer lab pouring over the .plan files and spycam footage - it is safe to say Reason Studios is a very different place these days.

I used rebirth religiously and had tried hardere, other sequencers but for what was £299 I think, Reason gave everything I ever wanted (back then!) - a synth, sampler, drum machine and effects: Mind blowing!

That said I sold my license for V10 some time back and still think every now and again about getting back on board to counter balance Logic Pro...

I still have the original small V1 box somewhere which is a real work of art in itself.

jam-s

30 Jul 2020

Just to put piracy of Reason into perspective: Back in the days before Reason 6 there was no fully functional trial version (unless you count the cracked version as such).

miscend

30 Jul 2020

Many Reason users weren't even born yet 20 years ago.

Dante

30 Jul 2020

Reason 1 here - before that - Recycle and Rebirth. Its a 2 disc set with the soundbank on a second disc. I still have the original CD's
reason1.jpg
reason1.jpg (198.71 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
Reason1_CDs.jpg
Reason1_CDs.jpg (156.13 KiB) Viewed 1405 times

Brian013

31 Jul 2020

I also started with a cracked version of Reason 2.5. But I liked the program so much that I bought version 3 and haven't missed an update until Version 10 since then. I also owend Ableton 8 & 9 but I always come back to Reason. I love the workflow and the endless possibilities of the Reason rack. Since VSTs can be used, it is finally possible to use Machine and other Native Instruments Plug Ins. So I don't need another DAW anymore than Reason

Spryx

02 Aug 2020

I've been a user since 1.0 and Rebirth before that. I think I was a junior in HS....
I didn't actually buy the program until v4.0 came out

I do remember it took me an entire week to download reason 1.0 on a bad connection (oh the joys of dialup). I had to upload something massive to be able to download it from a seedy FTP site.
I remember opening the program and being awestruck by the possibilities. I've tried to open the 1.0 factory refill many times to no avail (Reason doesn't like it when you have two factory banks around). I wish RS would make a standalone one.
latest:

Deep Schulzz

02 Aug 2020

I started with Reason 1.01 when I remember correctly. My computer was a PC with a Intel CPU @ 333Mhz. But even with this weak PC Reason worked well. Never used a cracked version. I shared the purchase price with a friend. I believe Reason was the first music software that I actually purchased.

Done with R4 (2007):

New stuff:

avasopht
Competition Winner

02 Aug 2020

Deep Schulzz wrote:
02 Aug 2020
I started with Reason 1.01 when I remember correctly. My computer was a PC with a Intel CPU @ 333Mhz. But even with this weak PC Reason worked well. Never used a cracked version. I shared the purchase price with a friend. I believe Reason was the first music software that I actually purchased.

Done with R4 (2007):

New stuff:
Well, technically the license allowed installation on two machines, but only one could be active at a time ;)

CPU of the machine I first used Reason with was also 333Mhz ... but it was a Cyrix MII so it probably performed more like a 160Mhz PII. I recall a 90ms latency until I realized I realized I could use Steinberg's ASIO driver to bring it down to something like 30ms!!

noeticsound

02 Aug 2020

I started on 1.0 too! I was “using” Cubase with Bitheadz’s Unity (virtual sampler) and Retro (VA) and a midiman MIDISport USB on my PowerBook G3...crashed every 20 minutes. I had ReBirth too, which didn’t crash, but pattern sequencing wasn’t my bag.

Reason was a godsend. I learned synthesis, drum programming, signal flow, mixing...it was so awesome for learning, intuitive, rock solid, FUN.

I do a lot of production in Ableton now (with heavy use of the Reason Rack Plugin), but I still launch and produce straight in Reason fairly often. It feels like home.

djsmex

03 Aug 2020

I first started with ReBirth, then got reason from version 3, now on 11 suite. It's been fun, I've tried other DAWs but keep coming back to reason.

• Information