Parallel compression on drum tracks

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
Folamh3

29 Jul 2020

Hi folks!

I was watching this video https://youtu.be/8Ao_M6QgTdk?t=850 where the guy was demonstrating how to set up parallel compression on drum tracks in Cubase. I understand how to set up parallel compression when you have a single stereo drum track, but what this guy is doing is sending the mono close mics (kick, snare, toms) into a parallel track, then compressing that track.

Is there a way to achieve a similar effect in Reason? I have kick, snare, tom tracks and I would like to send them to a parallel track so I can compress them all at the same time.

If you have any tips they'd be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Loque

29 Jul 2020

Send them to a mix bus channel, than create a parallel track/mix channel from that bus, add there your compressor.
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

29 Jul 2020

Or use a send.

But yeah I also use a bus for that.

Billy+

29 Jul 2020

Loque wrote:
29 Jul 2020
Send them to a mix bus channel, than create a parallel track/mix channel from that bus, add there your compressor.
That's the way I do it.

Use the individual channels to balance the kit then control the volume using the bus then add some effects to the parallel to taste. I usually add dirt to the P and fx's on the Bus.

pushedbutton

29 Jul 2020

Why not go nuts and use more than one mix bus channel :D
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Skimrok

29 Jul 2020

pushedbutton wrote:
29 Jul 2020
Why not go nuts and use more than one mix bus channel :D
Question :question:
how do you do more than one mix bus channels on the same tracks? :geek:
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

pushedbutton

29 Jul 2020

Well you can right click and create a parallel channel on any mix channel and you can also right click and select 'route to' on any channel in the mixer, including bus channels.
It can be handy if you want to use layer some presets but you end up creating a chain rather than parallel sounds.
@pushedbutton on twitter, add me, send me a message, but don't try to sell me stuff cos I'm skint.
Using Reason since version 3 and still never finished a song.

Folamh3

30 Jul 2020

Loque wrote:
29 Jul 2020
Thank you for your reply! Forgive my ignorance, but how would I send them to a mix bus channel? 🙈

Loque

30 Jul 2020

Folamh3 wrote:
30 Jul 2020
Loque wrote:
29 Jul 2020
Thank you for your reply! Forgive my ignorance, but how would I send them to a mix bus channel? 🙈
Select your channels (can be done in the rack or in the mixer, i would use the mixer), right click on them and "COnnect with"-->"New Mix bus".
Reason12, Win10

EdGrip

30 Jul 2020

Selig (I think) wrote a good piece about how parallel compression is almost indistinguishable from just changing the ratio of the compressor. It's worth a read, given how obsessed music production internet is with parallel compression.

Also remember, a compressor with a wet/dry control is the same thing as parallel compression. (Unless you're making other changes to your parallel channel like EQ'ing into the compressor)

Skimrok

30 Jul 2020

pushedbutton wrote:
29 Jul 2020
Well you can right click and create a parallel channel on any mix channel and you can also right click and select 'route to' on any channel in the mixer, including bus channels.
It can be handy if you want to use layer some presets but you end up creating a chain rather than parallel sounds.
oh wicked I never even twigged that :thumbs_up: :thumbs_up: ;) ;)
12 with 11 Suite :reason:/ Akai Mini Mk3 / MPD218 /Eve SC207 Monitors / Mrs10 Sub / Motu M2 / Zen Can

Loque

30 Jul 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 Jul 2020
Or use a send.

I like this. Never thought about this. You have full control, but on the other hand you need to adjust all faders for the accurate compression. Good to have choices :thumbs_up:
Reason12, Win10

selig
RE Developer

30 Jul 2020

Loque wrote:
30 Jul 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
29 Jul 2020
Or use a send.

I like this. Never thought about this. You have full control, but on the other hand you need to adjust all faders for the accurate compression. Good to have choices :thumbs_up:
Some folks swear by using a totally different mix for the parallel track, using aux sends to create it (and pre fader mode if you want to totally disconnect that mix from fader moves). Specifically, they often don't want cymbals so much in the parallel track, but if the drums sound good I've never found cymbals to be anything but desirable in any parallel drum processing I've ever done. When I even bother to do parallel processing, It's simply a Parallel Channel of the Drum Bus Channel.

I would suggest folks get familiar with the Sends approach and the variations possible with that approach. It's always good to know a few different approaches to any technique you often use.
Selig Audio, LLC

PhillipOrdonez

30 Jul 2020

selig wrote:
30 Jul 2020
Loque wrote:
30 Jul 2020

Some folks swear by using a totally different mix for the parallel track, using aux sends to create it (and pre fader mode if you want to totally disconnect that mix from fader moves). Specifically, they often don't want cymbals so much in the parallel track, but if the drums sound good I've never found cymbals to be anything but desirable in any parallel drum processing I've ever done. When I even bother to do parallel processing, It's simply a Parallel Channel of the Drum Bus Channel.

I would suggest folks get familiar with the Sends approach and the variations possible with that approach. It's always good to know a few different approaches to any technique you often use.
Absolutely, Selig and Loque: having options and being familiar with them is the best practice indeed.

• Information