mapping knobs in Reason

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
kinkujin

26 Jul 2020

Found this helpful tutorial.

How can I map my controller so that eg. my “knob 1” always controls filter, etc. and save these settings? Thank you.

jam-s

27 Jul 2020

You will have to write a remote map that includes a section for each instrument you want to have mapped. Also if your controller is not supported out of the box by Reason you will have to create a Remote codec for it as well.

The Remote SDK can be found here: https://developer.reasonstudios.com/dow ... r-products

Djstarski

27 Jul 2020

jam-s wrote:
27 Jul 2020
You will have to write a remote map that includes a section for each instrument you want to have mapped. Also if your controller is not supported out of the box by Reason you will have to create a Remote codec for it as well.

The Remote SDK can be found here: https://developer.reasonstudios.com/dow ... r-products
I have tried many time to create a codec for my X-Touch and for some reason i can not seem to get my head round it . Can someone please make a video on this subject ?

jam-s

27 Jul 2020

For the X-Touch I would start working from this codec: www.jaexx.com/blog/reason-custom-behrin ... ap-layout/

Djstarski

27 Jul 2020

jam-s wrote:
27 Jul 2020
For the X-Touch I would start working from this codec: www.jaexx.com/blog/reason-custom-behrin ... ap-layout/
Thank you . I will try this out .

Sterioevo

27 Jul 2020

An alternative approach to Remote is to program your controller to send midi messages as per the midi implementation chart - https://a.phcdn.se/Reason10/Manuals/Rea ... _Chart.pdf. Eg. Midi cc#74 is typically Filter Freq for Reason stock devices.

Djstarski

27 Jul 2020

This is what i`d like in Reason . Please tell me it`s already there .

kinkujin

27 Jul 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
27 Jul 2020
An alternative approach to Remote is to program your controller to send midi messages as per the midi implementation chart - https://a.phcdn.se/Reason10/Manuals/Rea ... _Chart.pdf. Eg. Midi cc#74 is typically Filter Freq for Reason stock devices.
This seems like a very logical approach. However, I have zero clue as to how to go about this. Any clues as to how to go about this? My controller presently is a M-Audio Control 25. Thanks!

Sterioevo

27 Jul 2020

Most controllers have an edit mode where you can customise a patch so it sends selected parameters. You could for example create a patch for each device you would like to control, that includes custom names (if available) for each parameter and pages if these functions are available for your controller.
I am not familiar with M-Audio but a quick look at the CTRL49 manual on the M-Audio site suggests you can use either Control Edit Mode with VIP, or Midi Edit Mode - with both approaches being customisable. You need to dive into the manual...

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

28 Jul 2020

Djstarski wrote:
27 Jul 2020
Nektar P series has function keys you can reassign built in.

TBH you can do that with any standard midi keyboard (with controls of course) and any DAW.

Djstarski

28 Jul 2020

Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
28 Jul 2020
Djstarski wrote:
27 Jul 2020

TBH you can do that with any standard midi keyboard (with controls of course) and any DAW.
I have the behringer x-touch . I can assign all of those faders , buttons and rotaries knobs to the functions in Reason . I want to be able to set my controller up using Reason and save those settings for new projects .

Sterioevo

28 Jul 2020

Djstarski wrote:
28 Jul 2020
Carly(Poohbear) wrote:
28 Jul 2020

I have the behringer x-touch . I can assign all of those faders , buttons and rotaries knobs to the functions in Reason . I want to be able to set my controller up using Reason and save those settings for new projects .
Have you tried setting up a Mackie Control device as a controller in the preferences, and attached this to the X-touch? This should provide Mackie HUI functionality (bi-directional). It will not provide complete integrated control but should give you access to the Fader, mutes and solos for banks of 8 channels - as long as the X-touch is in Mackie HUI mode.

Edit: think I missed the point of the function button thing. never mind...

kinkujin

28 Jul 2020

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. I'll print out a manual but I'm unsure I have the stomach for this, and/or the brain power.

Djstarski

28 Jul 2020

Sterioevo wrote:
28 Jul 2020
Djstarski wrote:
28 Jul 2020

Have you tried setting up a Mackie Control device as a controller in the preferences, and attached this to the X-touch? This should provide Mackie HUI functionality (bi-directional). It will not provide complete integrated control but should give you access to the Fader, mutes and solos for banks of 8 channels - as long as the X-touch is in Mackie HUI mode.

Edit: think I missed the point of the function button thing. never mind...
Thanks for your help . i`ll try this out .

Sterioevo

28 Jul 2020

kinkujin wrote:
28 Jul 2020
Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas. I'll print out a manual but I'm unsure I have the stomach for this, and/or the brain power.
It is time consuming and frustrating.
It is also most definitely beneficial and rewarding.

My advice is to learn all functions/capabilities of your midi controller, chunk it down and digest bit by bit. This will hold you in good stead not only with your existing controller, as well as any others you may use in the future. Once you get the hang of it you won't look back.

After that have a look at Remote if you are still searching/looking - it is a much deeper rabbit hole.

1reasonable

28 Jul 2020

kinkujin wrote:
28 Jul 2020
Have you seen this?

https://m-audio.com/kb/article/1933

It may help you...?
…………………………………………………………………

:reason: 11.3.6 ,  iMac Intel Core i5 (late 2012) OSX 10.13.6 High Sierra

• Information