Better default spectrum EQ

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
animism

27 Jul 2020

Present version is neither precise enough nor fully-featured for modern purposes.

I've been using H-EQ or TDR Nova on most channels and a sale away from investing in ProQ-3.

Another perspective - That FL Studio visualisation in their EQ is amazing - how it presents frequencies in block waves of colours.

aeox
Competition Winner

27 Jul 2020

It's not precise like GQ-7 but it's my most used EQ and I rarely find myself needing anymore precision. After switching from FL studio to Reason, I had similar thoughts as you. With some time I came to appreciate it's limitations. A "precision mode" wouldn't hurt, but how would they incorporate that to match visually with the mixer knobs? (just woke up, too tired to think! )

FL studios visualization is something I missed at first as well, but soon realized that I didn't need it because I was visually mixing instead of listening.

That's just my thoughts.

Creativemind

27 Jul 2020

animism wrote:
27 Jul 2020
Present version is neither precise enough nor fully-featured for modern purposes.

I've been using H-EQ or TDR Nova on most channels and a sale away from investing in ProQ-3.

Another perspective - That FL Studio visualisation in their EQ is amazing - how it presents frequencies in block waves of colours.
Yeah that's great how all the frequencies are named in FL Studio. Helps you learn.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Creativemind

27 Jul 2020

aeox wrote:
27 Jul 2020
It's not precise like GQ-7 but it's my most used EQ and I rarely find myself needing anymore precision. After switching from FL studio to Reason, I had similar thoughts as you. With some time I came to appreciate it's limitations. A "precision mode" wouldn't hurt, but how would they incorporate that to match visually with the mixer knobs? (just woke up, too tired to think! )

FL studios visualization is something I missed at first as well, but soon realized that I didn't need it because I was visually mixing instead of listening.

That's just my thoughts.
Well they just add more frequencies and knobs to the Main Mixer, it won't break backwards compatibility as long as they design it the right way. More filter slopes would be good too, at least 6.

As for mixing with your ears, I know what you're saying, been doing it a lot lately with the Channel EQ in the RRP but visual can also be helpful, best of both worlds. Not using visual does help you focus more on the sound though, use your ears more.

DaveyG

27 Jul 2020

Studio One 5's updated EQ has a superb Spectrum Analyser in the same window as the EQ curve and has a piano keyboard shown along the bottom edge so you can relate what you see to music notes. A nice touch I thought.

Creativemind

27 Jul 2020

DaveyG wrote:
27 Jul 2020
Studio One 5's updated EQ has a superb Spectrum Analyser in the same window as the EQ curve and has a piano keyboard shown along the bottom edge so you can relate what you see to music notes. A nice touch I thought.
In Reaper, I just downloaded (3 days ago) a free JS Plug-in Pro Q3 emulation. Top drawer called ReEQ.

guitfnky

27 Jul 2020

I kept wanting to buy the FabFilter EQ, and getting scared off by the price. did some research, and ended up getting ToneBoosters' EQ-4, which I think is supposed to be comparable. has a good analyzer, a ton of options, and is super easy to use. and it was only $50. the TDR Nova, which I think someone already mentioned, is also fantastic (and free).

I agree, though, the stock analyzer isn't great. certainly useful, in a pinch, but not great.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

PhillipOrdonez

27 Jul 2020

Isn't the EQ you all probably have in neutron elements good enough? I just think, why spend even more money when you already have the tools that do the job? They one had been given away for free several times hasn't it?

Isn't the e button on the reason EQ sort of a precision mode, or, more precise? Hehe.

Rackman

27 Jul 2020

Just buy Fab Filter Pro Q. Then you'll never need to think about it again. 25% off bundles at the moment.

guitfnky

27 Jul 2020

Rackman wrote:
27 Jul 2020
Just buy Fab Filter Pro Q. Then you'll never need to think about it again. 25% off bundles at the moment.
that’s an absurd price for lots of people. I could certainly afford it if I really wanted to spend $180, and I’ve given it some serious thought, but there’s seriously no need to spend that kind of money on a good EQ. plenty of great options elsewhere that do much, if not all of the same stuff, and are far more affordable (or free). they could just as easily get one of those and never need to think about it again.

that’s not to say it isn’t worth it for some—that’s down to personal preference, of course. I just can’t see spending that kind of money for an EQ plugin, unless it’s main purpose was to color the sound in a unique way.

jlgrimes

27 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
27 Jul 2020
I kept wanting to buy the FabFilter EQ, and getting scared off by the price. did some research, and ended up getting ToneBoosters' EQ-4, which I think is supposed to be comparable. has a good analyzer, a ton of options, and is super easy to use. and it was only $50. the TDR Nova, which I think someone already mentioned, is also fantastic (and free).

I agree, though, the stock analyzer isn't great. certainly useful, in a pinch, but not great.
My favorite EQ (Fabfilter) altogether. So visual, customizable, utilitarian.

Probably my most used VST.

I rarely use the Reason Spectrum View as there are so many great VST ones (some free). That said Ableton has a nice Spectrum View.

guitfnky

27 Jul 2020

jlgrimes wrote:
27 Jul 2020
guitfnky wrote:
27 Jul 2020

My favorite EQ (Fabfilter) altogether. So visual, customizable, utilitarian.

Probably my most used VST.

I rarely use the Reason Spectrum View as there are so many great VST ones (some free). That said Ableton has a nice Spectrum View.
yeah, it’s kind of funny how opinions can change over time—I remember some minor grumbling over the analyzer’s resolution when it was first introduced, but the vast majority of us were just ecstatic to finally have ANY proper kind of spectrum analysis in Reason. now it’s like, yeah, it’s okay for basic work, but for the most part I try to avoid it. :lol:

Rackman

27 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
27 Jul 2020
Rackman wrote:
27 Jul 2020
that’s an absurd price for lots of people. I could certainly afford it if I really wanted to spend $180, and I’ve given it some serious thought, but there’s seriously no need to spend that kind of money on a good EQ. plenty of great options elsewhere that do much, if not all of the same stuff, and are far more affordable (or free). they could just as easily get one of those and never need to think about it again.

that’s not to say it isn’t worth it for some—that’s down to personal preference, of course. I just can’t see spending that kind of money for an EQ plugin, unless it’s main purpose was to color the sound in a unique way.
For such a crucial tool, why would you want anything but the best? I'd rather have a few really great tools than a bucket full of mediocre ones. For not much more than $180 you can get their Eq, their compressor and their reverb. All three are incredible. For anyone who hasn't tried those three, I really recommend grabbing a trial. They blow most of the competition away. I think that price is a good one, and fair. Saturn is also a beautiful thing.

guitfnky

27 Jul 2020

Rackman wrote:
27 Jul 2020
guitfnky wrote:
27 Jul 2020

For such a crucial tool, why would you want anything but the best? I'd rather have a few really great tools than a bucket full of mediocre ones. For not much more than $180 you can get their Eq, their compressor and their reverb. All three are incredible. For anyone who hasn't tried those three, I really recommend grabbing a trial. They blow most of the competition away. I think that price is a good one, and fair. Saturn is also a beautiful thing.
I’ve recorded and mixed an album using only the stock plugins available in MOTU’s Digital Performer. I’ve recorded and mixed countless other songs, including another album using various other tools in Reason, and done all that without ever having used what you’re saying is “the best” EQ.

the flip side of that question is, why do you feel you need to spend that kind of money to get the best results you can? from what I can tell, the premium you pay for FabFilter is more for the GUI and workflow than the sound quality (not knocking the sound quality though; clearly it’s a very good EQ). but if you have other options with similar GUIs, similar workflows, and similar quality of sound, for significantly less money...why do you need FabFilter?

I wonder if sometimes the vehement adherence to using a particular tool (not just FF’s EQ) has more to do with the fact that so many people have paid so much for them. if I paid nearly $200 for a good EQ, I’d probably be using it all the time and singing its praises too.

Mike B

28 Jul 2020

Honestly nothing can beat Fabfilter Q, C, and Saturn 2.

The visual illustration of 2 channels interfering in the same frequency and the extra tool of dynamic ducking, all that with a great GUI.

Been using fabfilter for years and till now it puts the competition under the rug.

bieh

28 Jul 2020

A couple of people have mentioned TDR Nova as a good free option. I tried it and felt it was a tragedy of a device. It has nice design and features but I uninstalled it about 20 minutes later because it added weird fuzzing and fluttering sounds to anything I used it on.

deeplink
Competition Winner

20 Sep 2020

Simple additions that they could make;
1. Show note value / keyboard below
2. Show peak values
3. Incoming level, outgoing level
4. Quick copy/paste eq settings

As Reason's spectrum EQ is integrated into the DAW, there's so much potential for it to expand;
1. Addition of select source 2: for comparison of signals
2. Addition of more animiated mix channel parameters in the spectrum eq window (or perhaps "Mix Channel Overview Window") e.g level (peak/RMS indicators), stereo width, pan, compressor, input gain, etc.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

Jackjackdaw

20 Sep 2020

+1 to the Op the stock eq and spectrum analyser are far too basic. I don't need a ton of fancy features but at the very least I expect to have the frequency on mouse over displayed exactly. And for those who say 'use your ears', that's fine, you obviously don't want a spectrum analyser so pipe down!

Billy+

20 Sep 2020

I like the current mixer setup and use inserts for anything else, I like the way it works like an actual mixing console which wouldn't rely on some visual aid but the engineers ears.

There are a few features missing from the M-Class devices but since buying izotope advanced plugins I'm not that concerned about the missing features.

guitfnky

20 Sep 2020

whoops, put this in the wrong thread. carry on. :oops:

Jackjackdaw

20 Sep 2020

Billy wrote:
20 Sep 2020
I like the current mixer setup and use inserts for anything else, I like the way it works like an actual mixing console which wouldn't rely on some visual aid but the engineers ears.

There are a few features missing from the M-Class devices but since buying izotope advanced plugins I'm not that concerned about the missing features.
Yeah but, it doesn't work exactly like a mixing console because it already has the spectrum eq built in, it's just not a very good one! This ears business does my nut, as if anyone isn't using their ears. My ears often tell me that the bass and the pad drone are occupying the same frequency, at that point I reach for the tool that can tell me what frequency that is so I can use my ears again to get the balance right. There is no glory in mixing like it's 1965.

Billy+

20 Sep 2020

Jackjackdaw wrote:
20 Sep 2020
There is no glory in mixing like it's 1965.
:o

What would you do to fix a frequency conflict like you describe?

guitfnky

20 Sep 2020

Billy wrote:
20 Sep 2020
Jackjackdaw wrote:
20 Sep 2020
There is no glory in mixing like it's 1965.
:o

What would you do to fix a frequency conflict like you describe?
use something with a tight enough Q to be able to identify the offending frequency. sometimes the SSL EQ is good enough for that, but (quite) often, the frequency you want to cut occupies a narrower band than it's capable of handling.

the SSL EQ is good for musical stuff where you're looking to work more broadly. it's frankly kinda terrible for detail work where you need fine control of what you're EQing.

Creativemind

11 Oct 2020

DaveyG wrote:
27 Jul 2020
I didn't check this out till yesterday but that piano in Studio One 5's Pro EQ 2 is a really cool touch, you're right.

• Information