Need help volume ducking

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
Desnuda

26 Jul 2020

Hello

I want to automatically reduce the volume of a bus for a while when a signal is active in another bus.
Think: voice commentary for music.
I don't want any compression - just a simple gain reduction by X dB with a looong release time (1-2s) and a decent hold time.

Here's what I currently do:

I have a Selig Gain in my target bus, which reacts to the Gain Reduction CV Out from an MClass Comp in my triggering bus. The MClass Comp is wired as a dead end, it simply listens to the trigger bus and sends out CV.

Now the problem is, the MClass Comp reacts to volume fluctuations and you can hear it in the target bus. So basically, I'm looking for a way to"flatten out" the CV signal - how do I do it? I'm very open for suggestions of different tools for the job, too.

Carly(Poohbear)
Competition Winner

27 Jul 2020

Add a Janitor (free) between the mClass Comp and bus (Selig Gain) with the Decay time up, this will give you CV lag when the signal is dropping (There is also an attack lag you can play with).

If you are using Reason 11, you can use the new effect Sweeper as it has an follower with attack\decay built in, use that in place of the mClass Comp, also note you could get rid of the Selig Gain and go directly to the level on the bus. (Personally I would use the Selig Gain in a setup like this)

selig
RE Developer

27 Jul 2020

It may be easier to use a compressor for this, but feed it a 1kHz tone (from Pulsar) so that it compresses exactly the same amount each time. To get the "on/off" part, route the tone through a gate first, with the vocal as the trigger (side chain) so that the gate opens when the voice is present. That way the tone goes into the compressor side-chain, where you adjust the attack/release times to taste and use the ratio to set the "depth" or amount of gain reduction. The gain reduction will be consistent since it's coming from a static sine wave that's either on or off.

Thus the setup uses a gate, a compressor (both SSL Dynamics work well for this), and a Pulsar. The pulsar routes through the gate and into the compressor side-chain input. The voice routes into the gate side-chain input. The music bed routes through the compressor. Thus when the voice is present, the sine is sent to the compressor side-chain, and produces a static amount of reduction no matter how loud the voice, and ducks according to the attack/release of the compressor. Make sense?
Selig Audio, LLC

• Information