ujam DANDY - The Gentleman Bassist

Discuss VST stuff here!
marcuswitt

24 Jul 2020

ujam has just released DANDY, an emulation of a bass with flat-wound strings. Sounds fantastic, just like the other virtual basses from ujam do. And I hope it's only a matter of time to get this instrument in form of a RE.

https://www.ujam.com/dandy

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 Jul 2020

I have a few of the Ujam instruments and I use them frequently. There's no point in waiting for an RE though, especially if chances are it never comes, which is most likely.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Boombastix
Competition Winner

24 Jul 2020

I have the 3 Bassist REs.

Would really have liked if they did a note/gate CV out so we could capture it to midi and make small adjustments in the piano roll.

The VSTs v2 have a midi drag feature, sooooo, yeah...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

DaveyG

25 Jul 2020

Boombastix wrote:
24 Jul 2020

Would really have liked if they did a note/gate CV out so we could capture it to midi and make small adjustments in the piano roll.

Toontrack EZBass is the one you want. You can just drag and drop the midi from it for further editing.

joeyluck

25 Jul 2020

DaveyG wrote:
25 Jul 2020
Boombastix wrote:
24 Jul 2020

Toontrack EZBass is the one you want. You can just drag and drop the midi from it for further editing.
Well EZBass is not a RE either. As mentioned, you can drag and drop from the Virtual Bassist VST. Out of the VST options, I would go VB.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2020

DaveyG wrote:
25 Jul 2020
Boombastix wrote:
24 Jul 2020

Yeah, I know. You can actually take the Ujam Bass audio and have EZ Bass generate the midi, lol. No point messing with Melodyne...

DaveyG

25 Jul 2020

Boombastix wrote:
25 Jul 2020
DaveyG wrote:
25 Jul 2020

Yeah, I know. You can actually take the Ujam Bass audio and have EZ Bass generate the midi, lol. No point messing with Melodyne...
Not the same thing but lately I've been stuffing EZBass midi into Waves Bass Fingers. Toontrack need to speed up the release of more Bass models!

Boombastix
Competition Winner

25 Jul 2020

DaveyG wrote:
25 Jul 2020
Boombastix wrote:
25 Jul 2020

Not the same thing but lately I've been stuffing EZBass midi into Waves Bass Fingers. Toontrack need to speed up the release of more Bass models!
I really like how VB lets you jam out a bass line using your keyboard by playing chords and switching between phrases, thus making your own pattern. I usually get good and unique results that way and it fits in the song context.

Not sure how the EZ Bass midi patterns work, if you just get just a fixed pattern that follows your chord progression or if you can switch/jam between patterns using key switches to come up with new ideas? Can you? (there is noting on YouTube on this)

If not, then I think VB is probably better for me, for generating the bass line notes, but I really like the control in midi grid that EZ Bass gives you once you have a midi pattern, you can then add in the articulations and add ghost notes, slides etc, to make it sound more real.

DaveyG

25 Jul 2020

Boombastix wrote:
25 Jul 2020

Not sure how the EZ Bass midi patterns work, if you just get just a fixed pattern that follows your chord progression or if you can switch/jam between patterns using key switches to come up with new ideas? Can you? (there is noting on YouTube on this)
EZB is not so good for jamming but is really, really quick to assemble a whole songs worth of bass. The midi is divided into styles and each style typically has several patterns for each of Intro, Verse A, Verse B, Bridge, Chorus A, Chorus B, Ending plus a bunch of fills. You can audition them live and drag them onto an arranger track within EZB, add your chords and there you go. If you want to fiddle some more, and I almost always do, you can drag all or some of the MIDI into the DAW where it becomes just regular note info.

It's really quick to make fairly standard (and possibly cliched) bass tracks for pop, rock, country, whatever but there is a lot of fun to be had using the "wrong" style for whatever you are doing.

The thing to remember is for many styles of music you actually want a fairly nondescript bass line and all of the virtual bass players give you that. Bass is generally a supporting instrument and, if it is not, then these tools are not going to work very well! Can't imagine them giving Flea too many sleepless nights. :)

Mistro17

26 Jul 2020

EZbass also have a piano roll where you further customize the patterns and notes. You're not stuck with anything generated. I'm loving it.

• Information