Which feature requests are most important to Reason DAW users? (oh boy here we go again)

Have any feature requests? No promise they'll get to Reason Studios, but you can still discuss them here.
selig
RE Developer

29 May 2020

nemesjs wrote:
16 May 2020
SUPER COMBINATORS
Combinators are a marvelous concept but they are in desperate need of an expanse of capabilities!
We need a new Super Combinator with a lot more buttons, rotaries, sliders, XY pad, etc and specially a lot more CV inputs!
Here is an example (a bit AKAI style biased I know...)
SUPERCOMBINATOR front and back.jpg
New Combinator should at the least have more audio I/O (with user labels) - Even just building a side chain device requires two more inputs, let alone anything more advanced such as a bigger drum device etc.
And the ability to connect to and save Mix Channels as a part of the Combinator would address another long standing issue in Reason, which is how to save multi-out setups with their Mix Channels intact. With that in mind, a super combinator needs to be able to encapsulate any other device including other Combinators and including Mix/Audio/Parallel/Bus channels.
Selig Audio, LLC

Creativemind

29 May 2020

I've been using Reaper now a month and it's so advanced.

4 things I have found (along with Remember Last Note Length and Note Displays) in the midi editor which I'd love to see in Reason:-

You can quantize the note ends (not just the start) of notes, so it shortens the notes to grid, also you can remove note overlaps, Scale Highlighting (puts a shading on the note rows dependant on a scale such as Am Pentatonic for instance) and lastly Chord Painting. I like the way it's implemented in Reaper better than FL Studio. In FL Studio, you select the chord type from a list, say Maj7 and click a C3 and it pastes a 3 or 4 note Cmaj7 in the 3rd octave. In Reaper, you select say a C major scale, and hold shift ctrl alt and the tool changes to a paintbrush. While the paintbrush is selected, if you left mouse click on any column and drag up or down, it will paste notes in a C major scale dependant on the snap setting. So you can have 1, 2 or 5, 6 or more notes if you wish.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

Yonatan

30 May 2020

selig wrote:
29 May 2020
nemesjs wrote:
16 May 2020
SUPER COMBINATORS
Combinators are a marvelous concept but they are in desperate need of an expanse of capabilities!
We need a new Super Combinator with a lot more buttons, rotaries, sliders, XY pad, etc and specially a lot more CV inputs!
Here is an example (a bit AKAI style biased I know...)
SUPERCOMBINATOR front and back.jpg
New Combinator should at the least have more audio I/O (with user labels) - Even just building a side chain device requires two more inputs, let alone anything more advanced such as a bigger drum device etc.
And the ability to connect to and save Mix Channels as a part of the Combinator would address another long standing issue in Reason, which is how to save multi-out setups with their Mix Channels intact. With that in mind, a super combinator needs to be able to encapsulate any other device including other Combinators and including Mix/Audio/Parallel/Bus channels.
Would be splendid if a new advanced Combinator could also have like empty kong alike pads where to assign and trigger things in Reasons sequencer (like Blocks or clips etc), as well as triggering DrOcto, trigger almost whatever (players?) and doing it in sync with main tempo. Or make Kong be able to do that.

If RS really makes a Combinator type of master device to rule them all... then it would answer a lot of requests in one magic box.
I mean the original Combinator is already used in that sense and when setting up for live performamce, controlling those knobs with outboard gear. Then demands raised to have 8 knobs, and then a xy pad...so why not also a Kong style of Live trigger things from where ever. It would be a monster used with an outboard midi controller.

One good thing with such Combinator is that it can all be done inside the Rack, meaning it can potentially be used in Rack Plugin to also speak nd trigger other DAWs, and if they like AbLive or Logic, also have Clip Launch function in sequencer, you might be able to trigger these as well...pandoras box of possabilities.

Creativemind

30 May 2020

Creativemind wrote:
16 Mar 2020
I stopped using it as I'm guitarist and there was no comping or manually quantizing audio in the playlist. One of FL Studio's major flaws.
I have to correct myself here. This might have been something they implemented since posting but you can quantize and manually adjust guitar or audio in FL Studio. You have to open it up in New Time and it can create 3 types of markers in there. You have to click an icon to sync it to track and then make sure the metronome is activated in the playlist to hear the tempo. Then once done you can send the audio from New Time to the Playlist. Still no comping though as far as I'm aware.

djsmex

30 May 2020

extend remote document scope to include browser control and add block select/play/stop/etc control. A new super combinator would be great, perhaps an 8x8 I/O with 64 buttons, rotaries, CV in/out and audio in/out. Extend the programmer adding scope for conditional controls and this can all fit in the current rack. I already simulate ssl channels with mixer14:2 with the new dynamic ssl REs but the I/O is too limited.

Creativemind

11 Jun 2020

Got any results for this Google Form poll? I'd love to see what was winning the race.

aeox
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2020

Never made it to 100 responses but here it is

guitfnky

20 Jul 2020

calling it now, Reason 12 is coming out by the end of August, and will feature all of those improvements, and they will be fixing all bugs in theirs and all other developers’ REs, and also any buggy VSTs. they’ll also include 2 new devices.

then RS will liquidate the product selling it to a Wall St. hedge fund, who want nothing to do with it, forcing Bandcamp to swoop in and take over the software, which will now be free, and will be merged with Cakewalk.

then, realizing how many losses RS had been incurring as a result of their utterly spectacularly terrible Rewards point system (which has also given you STDs if you’ve ever gotten or redeemed a voucher, if you must know)—when the hedge fund guys realize their mistake, they’ll sell it all back to RS for a huge loss. RS, through legal action against Bandlab, and having saved the company from the yoke of the Rewards system, through their trickery, will find themselves flush with cash. without enough room in the banks to store all that money, they will use a small fraction of it to fix the broken U.S. healthcare system, and the rest to cure worldwide hunger and replant the ENTIRE Amazonian rainforest, as well as all other rainforests everywhere.

also, Mattias will pledge to personally cook each Reason user his famous macaroni and cheese dinner in their home, once the pandemic is over.

all of this will happen by mid October at the latest.
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

gbuck

20 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
20 Jul 2020
calling it now, Reason 12 is coming out by the end of August, and will feature all of those improvements, and they will be fixing all bugs in theirs and all other developers’ REs, and also any buggy VSTs. they’ll also include 2 new devices.

then RS will liquidate the product selling it to a Wall St. hedge fund, who want nothing to do with it, forcing Bandcamp to swoop in and take over the software, which will now be free, and will be merged with Cakewalk.

then, realizing how many losses RS had been incurring as a result of their utterly spectacularly terrible Rewards point system (which has also given you STDs if you’ve ever gotten or redeemed a voucher, if you must know)—when the hedge fund guys realize their mistake, they’ll sell it all back to RS for a huge loss. RS, through legal action against Bandlab, and having saved the company from the yoke of the Rewards system, through their trickery, will find themselves flush with cash. without enough room in the banks to store all that money, they will use a small fraction of it to fix the broken U.S. healthcare system, and the rest to cure worldwide hunger and replant the ENTIRE Amazonian rainforest, as well as all other rainforests everywhere.

also, Mattias will pledge to personally cook each Reason user his famous macaroni and cheese dinner in their home, once the pandemic is over.

Only two new devices?

Creativemind

22 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
20 Jul 2020

Reason By Bandlab. 🤣

Creativemind

22 Jul 2020

aeox wrote:
20 Jul 2020

So do you know which features are winning the race?

guitfnky

22 Jul 2020

Creativemind wrote:
22 Jul 2020
aeox wrote:
20 Jul 2020

totals are at the bottom. I think the most wanted stuff is at the left, and the least wanted is toward the right.

out of curiosity (and totally unrelated), how long did it take you to get up to speed using Reaper? it would be cool to learn it, considering how customizable it is, but I'm trying to figure out whether I've got the patience to use it long enough to get good with it.

Creativemind

23 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
22 Jul 2020
Creativemind wrote:
22 Jul 2020

totals are at the bottom. I think the most wanted stuff is at the left, and the least wanted is toward the right.

out of curiosity (and totally unrelated), how long did it take you to get up to speed using Reaper? it would be cool to learn it, considering how customizable it is, but I'm trying to figure out whether I've got the patience to use it long enough to get good with it.
I wouldn't say I'm totally up to speed yet but pretty fluent, it took me about 2 or 3 months using most days. It's incredible, made me realise how far Reason is behind. Something else I discovered a week or so ago are Track Templates. You can save track settings as templates which I have done. I've saved one with a blank RRP armed for recording with my midi controller selected, one which loads up the RRP with a Thor open record enabled and midi controller selected and another with the RRP and The Legend, you get my drift. Today, I'm trying out audio to midi for the first time. Monophonic material only (which is all I need) which I'm surprised about, surprised it's not mega-polyphonic lol!

guitfnky

23 Jul 2020

Creativemind wrote:
23 Jul 2020
guitfnky wrote:
22 Jul 2020

I wouldn't say I'm totally up to speed yet but pretty fluent, it took me about 2 or 3 months using most days. It's incredible, made me realise how far Reason is behind. Something else I discovered a week or so ago are Track Templates. You can save track settings as templates which I have done. I've saved one with a blank RRP armed for recording with my midi controller selected, one which loads up the RRP with a Thor open record enabled and midi controller selected and another with the RRP and The Legend, you get my drift. Today, I'm trying out audio to midi for the first time. Monophonic material only (which is all I need) which I'm surprised about, surprised it's not mega-polyphonic lol!
oh, that’s cool that it lets you save the record enabled state for a template track. that’s some attention to detail. I kind of figured it would take a while to get up to speed, but a few months isn’t as bad as I expected. 👍🏼

Creativemind

23 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
23 Jul 2020
Creativemind wrote:
23 Jul 2020

oh, that’s cool that it lets you save the record enabled state for a template track. that’s some attention to detail. I kind of figured it would take a while to get up to speed, but a few months isn’t as bad as I expected. 👍🏼
Shouldn't take long with prior daw experience and there's a Discord channel for Reaper too.

Yes they have gone to so much length. Just been another update today, that's like the 4th this year with 75 features. Most only little things such as:-

+ MIDI: add option to apply default CC shape to recorded events [p=2270410]
+ MIDI: fix inline editor CC labels for unnamed CCs
+ MIDI: fix inline editor menu, add missing actions [t=238624]
+ MIDI: improve CC lane selection UI
+ MIDI: improve marquee selection in CC lanes when MSB/LSB events are mismatched
+ MIDI: improve 14-bit lane usage indicators
+ System: fix potential crashes due to high socket use on macOS and Linux [t=238309]
+ System: notify when disk write errors occur or a disk becomes full [t=226775]
+ System: add Preferences/Audio option to bypass audio processing when disk write error notification occurs
+ System: fix reduce_open_files() and associated advanced experimental preference (6.11 regression)
+ Takes: fix action to collapse empty take lanes
+ Tempo map: add action to create a single measure from time selection [p=2215874]
+ Tempo map: restore pre-6.02 default behavior of action to create measure(s) from time selection, auto-detecting number of measures
+ Theme: fix misc_dpi_translate mapping bug

Wow though. That's a 5th of them lol!

Version 7 should be out before the end of the year I reckon.

jlgrimes

27 Jul 2020

Busta US wrote:
22 Feb 2020

Oh yes it does dear...you can add and remove notes with one single click on FL Studio...whoever hasn't tried it cannot comprehend how faster your workflow becomes when you can add and remove notes with a single click.

I'm not saying Reason's piano roll does not need improvement (It does drastically) but single clicking in piano roll notes is one of the most annoying features of using FL Studios. Problem for me was that it became "too easy" to add in notes, where I think some folks normally just click in an empty open space to clear a note selection they just made (or at least people who use DAWs who aren't used to single clicking in notes which is quite a few DAWs such as Reason, Ableton etc). In FL Studio, doing that draws in a note (if you have the draw tool on).

Also the tool concept of FL Studio feels a bit "segregated" where I had to click specific tool to do one thing and another specific tool to do another thing. Reason kind of suffers from this as well though, but for example FL Studio had me scratching my head as to why I couldn't resize a midi note with the select tool selected (which is a normal function in almost every piano roll including Reason). In FL i had to click the draw tool to resize. But that said it is probably my unfamiliarity with the program but after getting to finally try FL Studio, I was unimpressed by their piano roll as it felt extremely tool-centric and seemed to suffer from some of the "point-click" issues that Reason's tool based approach suffers from as well.

That said it did have some cool little functions for quickly adding in notes/rolls/patterns and etc (that I haven't seen any other DAW have), but that said it didn't seem to be the most inviting Piano Roll for just editing already played midi (Studio One seems pretty good here).

DaveyG

27 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
20 Jul 2020

End of August? Excellent!!!
I didn't read the rest of it.

guitfnky

27 Jul 2020

DaveyG wrote:
27 Jul 2020
guitfnky wrote:
20 Jul 2020

:lol:

Creativemind

14 Nov 2020

guitfnky wrote:
27 Jul 2020
DaveyG wrote:
27 Jul 2020

:lol:
End of August? try end of 2020 lol!

EDIT - Thought this was the next point update for 11. This was in relation to Reason 12, that won't be till at least March next year.

• Information