Reason Rack Plugin - Stop Midi Thru?

This forum is for discussing the Reason Rack Plugin, the version of the Reason rack that runs as a VST3, AU, AAX in other DAWs.
james6848

14 Mar 2020

Hi,

I'm just experimenting with the RRP within Cubase. I've got a RRP track with a Dual Arpeggio Player feeding into another track with a piano VST. The latter track is set to only receive MIDI data from the RRP track.

When I play a chord on my controller on the RRP track the Arp works, BUT I can hear the original chord as well as the Arp'd chord. I think a few other Arp VSTs have a 'turn off MIDI thru' function. I'm guessing this doesn't have that, or am I doing this all wrong? :|

Cheers,
J

Boombastix
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2020

I have the same issue:
1. I tried RRP inside Kushview Element (VST Host)
2. Scaler sends a chord to RRP
3. RRP is set to strum ReDominator from ST100, but on STEP 6. (This works - ReDominator is silent on STEP 1)
4. RRPs Midi out is routed to Virtual CZ.
5. VirtualCZ plays the un-strummed chord on STEP 1 and the strummed chord from STEP 6.
(Both ReDominator and the Midi Out device are inside a Combinator and set to received Midi (as they should, in order to play the Midi at STEP 6)

It is pretty clear that RRP is passing on the incoming midi and basically doubling up the notes.

If I disable ST100 I can hear that VirtualCZ is getting doubled notes as the sounds becomes phasy.

IS THIS A KNOW PROBLEM/BUG WITH THE RRP? Anyone knows if it has been reported?
My RRP is not yet updated to 11.3.2 but there is nothing in the bug fixes list about this anyhow...
RRP midi.gif
RRP midi.gif (161.46 KiB) Viewed 747 times
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

23 Jul 2020

james6848 wrote:
14 Mar 2020
Hi,

I'm just experimenting with the RRP within Cubase. I've got a RRP track with a Dual Arpeggio Player feeding into another track with a piano VST. The latter track is set to only receive MIDI data from the RRP track.

When I play a chord on my controller on the RRP track the Arp works, BUT I can hear the original chord as well as the Arp'd chord. I think a few other Arp VSTs have a 'turn off MIDI thru' function. I'm guessing this doesn't have that, or am I doing this all wrong? :|

Cheers,
J
What specs and what Cubase version?

I'm on Win10 running Cubase10.5 and R11Suite, and I can't reproduce, it works fine for me.

I'm running track 1 as RRP, then using Kontakt (The Gentleman piano soundbank) as the track 2. The track 2 MIDI input is set as RRP. In RRP we have a Chordbank providing the chords for Dual Arp and it then goes straight to the MIDI Out.

Once this is set up I am hearing no erroneous notes, and I also recorded the MIDI output in the Kontakt track and all is as expected.

Any more info you can give us?

Cheers,
Brian

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

23 Jul 2020

Boombastix wrote:
23 Jul 2020
I have the same issue:
Can't really comment on this one mate. Don't have Kushview, and although I have St100, I'm not that familiar with it.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

23 Jul 2020

Enlightenspeed wrote:
23 Jul 2020
Boombastix wrote:
23 Jul 2020
I have the same issue:
Can't really comment on this one mate. Don't have Kushview, and although I have St100, I'm not that familiar with it.
Thanks for checking. Don't think you need Kushview, but it is a good tool to visualize the midi routing (yellow dots). If you replicate the midi routing the phenomena should be the same regardless of DAW I think.

I used the ST100 because it separates the incoming midi from the player midi in time. That's all that it does, as it won't pass on the player notes until step 6. At step 1 you hear the incoming midi as midi through.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

24 Jul 2020

Found a work around.

RRP takes ANY incoming Midi channels and changes it to Ch1.
If I set the Midi Out device to Ch2 (or 2-16), and make sure Ch1 is blocked, then the RRP Midi Thru (Ch1) doesn't mess it up for me (double notes).

It works in Kushview Element, not sure if all DAWs can block a single midi channel, but might be a free VST for that, dunno, maybe...
Screen print - for routing
RRP midi2.gif
RRP midi2.gif (94.54 KiB) Viewed 668 times

• Information