Is a RE for parameter randomizing possible?

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
plesio

21 Jul 2020

Since I got the Nostromo synth some weeks ago I am totally addicted to its powerful randomize function to create patches.

I spent hours and hours with it to dig for cool sounding settings and tailoring these to my needs...and this is really fun.

Big kudos to Lectric Panda here !!!

Being a synthhead, now I am dreaming of a RE to be connected to any device, synth or whatever.
I mean to randomize lots of parameters with this RE, not only a few inside a combinator with random CV via mod matrix.
Adding of rules and/or categories (like in Nostromo) would also be very cool.

I would like to ask here: Is this possible from the technical point of view?

Maybe there are some more synthonauts in sound space around...and maybe a RE dev looking for challenges sneaks a peek here...

PS: If this is already possible with devices I do not know now, I would be grateful for any advice what to use for heavy randomization.
Last edited by plesio on 22 Jul 2020, edited 2 times in total.
:reason: R11 Suite & R+, what else. I just love it. https://soundcloud.com/user-543016572
Ultimate mixing noob with medical certified lowpass at 9,6 kHz :(
Music is that certain noise you can remember three minutes later...and vice versa.

Socram
RE Developer

21 Jul 2020

Beyond a device that randomizes CV outputs and hooks up to the existing CV inputs of another device, there's no way for one RE to access another devices parameters and modify them.

This is actually a very intentional design decision, by sandboxing all RE's from each other, and the host environment itself, you get a lot of stability. An RE can crash and you know it won't bring other devices, or the host itself down with it.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

PhillipOrdonez

21 Jul 2020

Maybe combinator 2.0 could achieve something like this? Given it can access parameters in other services already... 🤷‍♂️

Sterioevo

21 Jul 2020

ReTrigger Gated CV Manipulator can get you a bit of the way towards parameter randomisation "within" Reason. https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nipulator/
You are limited to CV inputs on the back of the device and what is available via a combinator.
To work as required you would setup a manual gate signal.
Alternatively there are some convoluted solutions developed over the years that make use of Remote to randomise parameters, Poohbear on this forum has done work in this area.

avasopht
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2020

Someone created a parameter randomise program years ago that takes an RE patch to produce a random variation.

Not sure how compatible it would be with REs built with the latest SDK though.

Loque

22 Jul 2020

Guess we all wait for a RE like this, to randomize another RE...

I think someone created a randomizer via MIDI loopback or scripting...cannot find it atm.
Reason12, Win10

Sterioevo

22 Jul 2020

There was an old one on the propellerhead site way back if memory serves me

Sterioevo

22 Jul 2020

That said.
It would be pretty easy to use ReTrigger Gated CV Manipulator with Midi Out. Most RE's have a midi implementation chart, those that pay attention to the details at least.

electrofux

22 Jul 2020

Thats the area of remote codecs. From there you have access to all remotable parameters and can program randomisation.

Enlightenspeed
RE Developer

22 Jul 2020

You can build random patch generators for any specific RE quite easily. It's not particularly deep and difficult coding either, Python is perfect for it. One important note here is that anything which is using RT strings is more difficult and probably beyond anyone who isn't a qualified coder, but all of the early synths like Polysix etc would be very simple, and not particularly time consuming - i.e. about 3-4 hours work max.

Nostromo's onboard randomization is spectacular, of course, and it would take a bit more effort to get that level of capability, but it is still very much doable.

mjxl

22 Jul 2020

I just happen to be fiddling with Delta MIDI Computer, this will send a random signal when pressing C-2.
Try it out if you have it (stick the CV from the back into either combinator rotary/cv slots or into Nostromo ! :0 (the Note CV outputs from all 8 channels)

//edit: oh crap , it doesnt hold the values yet. :P guess you can figure that one out :P
Delta_Randomize8X.zip
(1.42 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Welps, you wan't to randomize everything :P Something like this??

plesio

30 Jul 2020

Thx a lot for all your useful information.

As my computer skills are not deep enough, I have to stay with randomized CVs in combinators now.

I am also exploring Lectric Panda´s procedurally generated refills they offer for different REs on their website.

I think these guys really know the trick and maybe they will make it available to the public in future.
:reason: R11 Suite & R+, what else. I just love it. https://soundcloud.com/user-543016572
Ultimate mixing noob with medical certified lowpass at 9,6 kHz :(
Music is that certain noise you can remember three minutes later...and vice versa.

loopeydoug

30 Jul 2020

mjxl wrote:
22 Jul 2020
I just happen to be fiddling with Delta MIDI Computer, this will send a random signal when pressing C-2.
Try it out if you have it (stick the CV from the back into either combinator rotary/cv slots or into Nostromo ! :0 (the Note CV outputs from all 8 channels)

//edit: oh crap , it doesnt hold the values yet. :P guess you can figure that one out :P

Delta_Randomize8X.zip

Welps, you wan't to randomize everything :P Something like this??

I'd love to have some detailed info as to how this setup is implemented. I assume it requires MIDI Loopback and Poohbear's Randomizers(why don't I see them in the rack in any of the videos?)

mjxl

31 Jul 2020

loopeydoug wrote:
30 Jul 2020
I'd love to have some detailed info as to how this setup is implemented. I assume it requires MIDI Loopback and Poohbear's Randomizers(why don't I see them in the rack in any of the videos?)
You are correct, it's using both LoopMIDI and Poohbear's files.
You don't see the Combinators in the rack, because the webpage is basically the replacement for the Combinators.

I've created a topic for this, but there wasn't a lot of attention for it.
Topic with all the links can be found here: viewtopic.php?t=7515397

Cheers =)

loopeydoug

31 Jul 2020

mjxl wrote:
31 Jul 2020
loopeydoug wrote:
30 Jul 2020
You are correct, it's using both LoopMIDI and Poohbear's files.
You don't see the Combinators in the rack, because the webpage is basically the replacement for the Combinators.

I've created a topic for this, but there wasn't a lot of attention for it.
Topic with all the links can be found here: viewtopic.php?t=7515397

Cheers =)
Ah, thank you so much for the reply! I fiddled with it yesterday and couldn't get it to work. I imagine your Topic-specific link will get me there. Great work!

• Information