Help with recreating The Legend reverb

Have an urge to learn, or a calling to teach? Want to share some useful Youtube videos? Do it here!
deeplink
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2020

As the title suggests, I love the sound of the reverb in The Legend RE - I hope I'm not alone here.

I'm not too sure why I like it, but I know I enjoy it far more than the standard plate/hall reverb in RV7000.

Unfortunately this is where my vocab to describe what I am hearing comes to an end. In the RV7000 the reverb sounds 'resonate-y', whereas the The Legend sounds more 'washy' and natural to my ears.

I've been trying to recreate the The Legend reverb using the RV7000 (without sampling the Impulse response), I hope to learn and control what I am hearing and what I would like to be hearing. I've tried a pre-chorus, pre-(or dual) reverb as well as eq - however I haven't got the results that I've been hoping for.

1. Is what I am achieving an impossible endeavor?
2. Is the plate/hall reverb from RV7000 generally not that good sounding?
3. Is there any further advice or information regarding the two aforementioned devices that you share?
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

colonel_mustard

21 Jul 2020

Between all of the algorithms, a bit of EQing and its mountain of bundled IRs, RV7000 should get you most of the way there. The missing ingredient might be a bit of micropitching/doubling? It sounds to me like the 'width' knob on The Legend's reverb introduces a short delay between the left and right channels, and detunes them by a few cents. A little goes a long way here.

Try turning off the width completely and A/B reverbs until you dial in the 'simple' sound, then work on the width effect separately. Various ways to do this. If you have Polar, it might save you a bit of extra routing.

So long as your ears know the difference, you can do it :)

Loque

21 Jul 2020

Make your own Impulse Response.
Reason12, Win10

deeplink
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2020

colonel_mustard wrote:
21 Jul 2020
It sounds to me like the 'width' knob on The Legend's reverb introduces a short delay between the left and right channels, and detunes them by a few cents. A little goes a long way here.
Thank you CM.

I explored further using your suggestion above. My findings/opinions are as follows;
  • There are almost two reverbs within the reverb of The Legend
    One is a short 'haas' type delay/reverb - very noticeable when you place 'Time' Parameter on zero, with 'Width' parameter on full.
    Once you start increasing the time, it sounds like the second reverb gets introduced - a hall/plate type. *I think* some more diffusion to the reverbs is introduced as well
    The width knob obviously adjusts the stereo image of the second reverb, and adjust the prominence of the 'haas' type reverb.
I've created the above using a combinator containing;
  • a spider audio splitter - for the two reverbs:
    RV-7 (stereo delay algorithm) - for the 'haas' type reverb
    RV-7000 - for longer reverb (Hall algorithm), with an Echo before the reverb (delay time + feedback set on 0), only to add some further diffusion and LFO on incoming signal
    ive add some EQ and as well adjusted dampening/high EQ to taste
So far quite happy with the results!
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

raymondh

22 Jul 2020

Synapse Audio certainly do this well.

Worth checking out their Deep Reverb and Fat Space devices - they're both excellent, lush and very usable.

And the Reverb on the new Obsession synth has a 'shimmer' effect that sounds great and really adds to the sound design.

• Information