Soundtoys Echoboy anyone?

Discuss VST stuff here!
MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2020

Read a lot of good things about this Plugin. Kind of like a one echo to rule them all. I’ve been looking at Space Echos and Binsons and Plexitapes for a while but it looks as if this does it all. Anyone got it or used it and can tell me what they think.
Looking at previous years it looks like Soundtoys usually have a Summer Sale with around 70-80% discounts.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EdGrip

21 Jul 2020

I don't have it, but I did a lot of delay reading last year so here's a post while you wait for some actual users. No one has a bad word to say about Echoboy and there's lots of love for it.

I ended up with Valhalla Delay and Surreal Machines Modnetic, and I love them both - with the free Sigmund from D16 and Beat Magazine, I am well sorted for delays.

Delays are brilliant.

PhillipOrdonez

21 Jul 2020

Trial it!

Yes wait for a sale, I think it was possible to get for 49 at some point.

DaveyG

21 Jul 2020

It's absolutely everywhere in the industry, both in ProTools where it was "born" and now in VST-land for us plebs. Traditional producers and engineers use it and modern producers often use it too, along with the rest of the Soundtoys stuff.

And with good reason. It's the first (and usually the last) delay effect that I reach for.
I can't really describe why. It just seems to give me the results I want quickly and with no fuss. It can do extreme stuff but if that's what you are looking for there are other options. Where it excels is in everyday, no-nonsense delays, choruses, echoes and doubling. Whatever you do the results just seem to sit nicely.

Some products are just right I guess.

Loque

21 Jul 2020

Its a delay...

Ok, it has a few neet features and types. But they are subtle sand 90% of all listeners won't hear a difference to, let's say The Echo.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds nice, but a lot of delays sound nice and the differences are subtle in general.

A few bad things of Echoyboy are, that not all parameters can be automated. I mean, wtf? And the UI is fiddly in step mode. No resizeable GUI.
Reason12, Win10

MrFigg
Competition Winner

21 Jul 2020

Cool! Thanks all. I'll give it a try. All being well I won't like it and save my money haha :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Zac

21 Jul 2020

I prefer Valhalla delay to Echoboy, partly because of the gui.

danc

21 Jul 2020

Zac wrote:
21 Jul 2020
I prefer Valhalla delay to Echoboy, partly because of the gui.
Whereas... I am really loving Arturia's delays.. especially Eternity... has some funky special FX type delays...

https://www.arturia.com/products/softwa ... ayeternity

However... I always return back to THE ECHO. It just works and works well in a mix.
Check my Soundcloud:

tallguy

21 Jul 2020

Love it. It's my go to delay. Just trial it

Steedus
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2020

I don’t have it, but have used it. It’s a very nice all-rounder. I ended up buying Plexitape which has a bit more character especially for ambient guitar but definitely not as versatile.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2020

Steedus wrote:
22 Jul 2020
I don’t have it, but have used it. It’s a very nice all-rounder. I ended up buying Plexitape which has a bit more character especially for ambient guitar but definitely not as versatile.
It's primarily guitar I'd been using it for. Reading reviews it would seem that Echoboy does plexi pretty well.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Kalm

22 Jul 2020

Echoboy is a delay like other SoundToys plugins that give tweak able analog characteristics you may not have in other delay plugins. I'll use it if I somehow think it fits but I don't try to tweak my own presets. Nobody got time for that. Echoboy Jr. Is GREAT when you just want that particular echo sound (like the radio delay effect)

But all in all,

I'm a Replika fan.
Courtesy of The Brew | Watch My Tutorials | Mac Mini Intel i7 Quad-Core | 16 GB RAM | Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB | Reason 11 Suite | Studio One 5 Professional | Presonus Quantum | Komplete Kontrol 49 MK2 | Event Opals | Follow me on Instagram

Auryn

22 Jul 2020

Have it, use it almost every track I do. To my ears it's much more convincing that most other delays, the organic way the repeats degrade and lose fidelity make it sound ´natural'

in this track it is used on the repeating sample "...and young schoolgirls" throughout the track with several different presets

and in this track it is used on the hillbilly voice samples (more natural sounding setting)
~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-~-.-
Quixotic Sound Design: http://www.quixoticsounddesign.com
Europandemonium Refill: https://gumroad.com/l/YxIGB

dvdrtldg

22 Jul 2020

Best analogue-sounding delay on the market imo, no question. If I had to pick just one delay to use forever, it'd be Echoboy

Do you have other Soundtoys plugins? Because once you start, you're going to want them all. There are great deals on the entire suite from time to time, worth keeping an eye out

hurricane
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2020

dvdrtldg wrote:
22 Jul 2020
There are great deals on the entire suite from time to time, worth keeping an eye out
I don't remember how or when, but there was a crazy deal on the whole suite a few years ago and I jumped on it. A similar no-brainer deal made the rounds for the Eventide bundle and I jumped on that too. The Anthology suite is like $1799 today - like holy crap man. I just looked at my receipt and I paid $84 for Anthology simply because I had some Eventide plugins which I bought at blow-out prices.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

Boombastix
Competition Winner

22 Jul 2020

Echoboy gets tough competition from NI Replika XT (best diffusion in the biz) and D16 Repeater (great lo-fi models)
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

dvdrtldg

23 Jul 2020

hurricane wrote:
22 Jul 2020
dvdrtldg wrote:
22 Jul 2020
There are great deals on the entire suite from time to time, worth keeping an eye out
I don't remember how or when, but there was a crazy deal on the whole suite a few years ago and I jumped on it.
Same here. I picked up SieQ as a freebie ages ago, and then PanMan as a freebie some time later. Then a deal popped up with the entire suite at a ridiculously low price for anyone who already owned two or more SoundToys devices

MattLeschuck

02 Aug 2020

Delays are my favorite effect unit and Echoboy is my go to. To me it just sounds better and I get quicker and more pleasing results than when using "The Echo". Echoboy Jr. i actually grab about 90% of the time as its simple and has a few great parameters that always yield good results. If you happen to have collected the "lil" plugins from Soundtoys that were almost all free at one point, Soundtoys offers a great trade in offer if you submit those in towards the Soundtoys 5 bundle. I had 5 of the lil plugins that i got all for free at one point. I traded these in towards the bundle and they gave me the full plugin 5 group for $149. That is a crazy good deal. Just something to consider if you happen to have any of them.

EdGrip

03 Aug 2020

People who say "a delay is a delay, just use the basic delay in your DAW" are either listening to the wrong kind of music or not using enough delay.

Loque

03 Aug 2020

EdGrip wrote:
03 Aug 2020
People who say "a delay is a delay, just use the basic delay in your DAW" are either listening to the wrong kind of music or not using enough delay.
Well, i wouldnt say a delay is a delay, but what sets some delay apart from others? A lot of things can be done with additional processing, like
* Ducking
* Saturation
* Limiting
* Blur, reverb
* Phase stuff
* More delays,
* Pitch/Frequency modulation and FM or PM
* Panning, cross delay
* envelope shaping

So, what makes a delay so unique or much better than the others in your opinion? Just curios, maybe i overlook something.
Reason12, Win10

danc

03 Aug 2020

Loque wrote:
03 Aug 2020
EdGrip wrote:
03 Aug 2020
Well, i wouldnt say a delay is a delay, but what sets some delay apart from others? A lot of things can be done with additional processing, like
* Ducking
* Saturation
* Limiting
* Blur, reverb
* Phase stuff
* More delays,
* Panning, cross delay
* envelope shaping

So, what makes a delay so unique or much better than the others in your opinion? Just curios, maybe i overlook something.
Two choices... string a whole load of plugins together or use one plugin that does it all. The advantage of the latter is speed of getting things done. Plus the latter gives quality results to the masses, who may otherwise not know (or care to know) how to concoct the end results if you didn't give it to them on a plate.

It so depends on your focus when making music... are you after quick results or slow results.

The same could be argued about most synths that are launched - aren't they just all a set of VCO, VCA, VCF and FX. Why not just use Subtractor and be done with it.
Check my Soundcloud:

Loque

03 Aug 2020

danc wrote:
03 Aug 2020
Loque wrote:
03 Aug 2020

* Ducking
* Saturation
* Limiting
* Blur, reverb
* Phase stuff
* More delays,
* Panning, cross delay
* envelope shaping

Two choices... string a whole load of plugins together or use one plugin that does it all. The advantage of the latter is speed of getting things done. Plus the latter gives quality results to the masses, who may otherwise not know (or care to know) how to concoct the end results if you didn't give it to them on a plate.

It so depends on your focus when making music... are you after quick results or slow results.

The same could be argued about most synths that are launched - aren't they just all a set of VCO, VCA, VCF and FX. Why not just use Subtractor and be done with it.
The difference in synths are more than subtle, in most cases quite obviously. I have problems to make just the Reason stock synths sound the same...

But delays are often get drawn somewhere in the sound and nobody could here the difference, if you have used a digital, BBD or a analog delay. And in the end, it just sounds softer, warmer, harsher, and so on...
You are right regarding the speed and workflow. Its sad, that the Echoboy doesnt even have a ducking feature. Unbelievable...
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

03 Aug 2020

The missing ducking feature is the only thing, however, with everything else it offers, and how easy it is to work around that, it's easy to ignore that one thing it is missing.

Loque

03 Aug 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Aug 2020
The missing ducking feature is the only thing, however, with everything else it offers, and how easy it is to work around that, it's easy to ignore that one thing it is missing.
I thought that the other "things" are much easier, than to add a ducking by your own. You need at least split the signal, before it gets into the fx and use the dry as a sidechain for your compressor. On the other hand, you can go a step ahead and use the original sound as a sidechain signal instead of the fx send signal, which goes around a potentially used feedback loop...

Guess what? None of any of the delays out there has considered this, so you need to build it on your own if you want it, even if the delay has a ducking feature :-D
Reason12, Win10

PhillipOrdonez

03 Aug 2020

Loque wrote:
03 Aug 2020
PhillipOrdonez wrote:
03 Aug 2020
I thought that the other "things" are much easier, than to add a ducking by your own. You need at least split the signal, before it gets into the fx and use the dry as a sidechain for your compressor. On the other hand, you can go a step ahead and use the original sound as a sidechain signal instead of the fx send signal, which goes around a potentially used feedback loop...

Guess what? None of any of the delays out there has considered this, so you need to build it on your own if you want it, even if the delay has a ducking feature :-D
I think adding swing to the delays is more difficult than splitting the chain innit?

• Information