Volca mix signal diagram help...

Want to talk about music hardware or software that doesn't include Reason?
Zac

19 Jul 2020

91e915d5b453234d4dd41f375b2ec6ab.jpg
91e915d5b453234d4dd41f375b2ec6ab.jpg (220.56 KiB) Viewed 579 times
I'm struggling to understand the routing in the Master box. Not sure what the X means rather than a +. From my interpretation of it the lows do get compressed but that compressed signal is only mixed with the side output. I. E the lows in the mid signal don't get compressed?

I must have this wrong Surely?

selig
RE Developer

19 Jul 2020

I don't know that device, but I'm guessing the compressor output is used to affect the gain of the signal coming into the "X', since X can mean "multiply" and multiplying is a way to control gain in programs like Reaktor. Or maybe the X is a cross fader (X-fader), but that doesn't make as much sense. Actually, neither really makes sense because why are the lows compressing both the highs and the side (which would be mostly highs if "stereo expanded". Maybe it's one or the other, as in a switch?

How does the user guide describe the master section functions, specifically how he compressor is used?
[found it, I think it's the first answer - the "dynamics" controls the amount of compression applied to both places in the signal path, best I can tell. TBH, it's not give much detail in the description I found!]
Selig Audio, LLC

Zac

20 Jul 2020

Thanks Selig, very helpful 👍
Here's what I learned from the manual... The level of the low frequencies is used to reduce the
level of high frequencies, adding more dynamics to the mix. (See Block
diagram for details.)

So I was right 😭 the lows are not compressed they are only used to duck the highs and side freqs. Not what I'm looking for!

So my search for an affordable mixer with a compressor continues..

selig
RE Developer

21 Jul 2020

I didn't think of this until you mentioned it, but a small mixer with a decent "glue" compressor on the output would be useful I would think. There are a few mixers out now with "one knob" compressors on the input channels, my Zoom L20 included (also some Mackie mixers). But none with a compressor or limiter on the output, which would seem to be the more valuable place for a compressor in a live mixer?

Someone out there will hopefully figure this out and add a simple glue compressor or at least a decent limiter for the main outputs (or maybe both?!?) :)
Selig Audio, LLC

Zac

21 Jul 2020

selig wrote:
21 Jul 2020
I didn't think of this until you mentioned it, but a small mixer with a decent "glue" compressor on the output would be useful I would think. There are a few mixers out now with "one knob" compressors on the input channels, my Zoom L20 included (also some Mackie mixers). But none with a compressor or limiter on the output, which would seem to be the more valuable place for a compressor in a live mixer?

Someone out there will hopefully figure this out and add a simple glue compressor or at least a decent limiter for the main outputs (or maybe both?!?) :)
Absolutely, yes. I'm currently thinking of the behringer qx1002 as it has 2 mono inputs with a compressor, integrated fx and an AUX fx send. Oh, and usb out too.

But really it's overkill channel number wise and yes a compressor on the output would be much more preferable! I've got an Elektron model: cycles which has L and R outs so I'm thinking I would try routing each to the 2 mono channels with comp but I don't know how "equal" they would be?

Re8et
Competition Winner

21 Sep 2020

selig wrote:
19 Jul 2020
I don't know that device, but I'm guessing the compressor output is used to affect the gain of the signal coming into the "X', since X can mean "multiply" and multiplying is a way to control gain in programs like Reaktor. Or maybe the X is a cross fader (X-fader), but that doesn't make as much sense. Actually, neither really makes sense because why are the lows compressing both the highs and the side (which would be mostly highs if "stereo expanded". Maybe it's one or the other, as in a switch?

How does the user guide describe the master section functions, specifically how he compressor is used?
[found it, I think it's the first answer - the "dynamics" controls the amount of compression applied to both places in the signal path, best I can tell. TBH, it's not give much detail in the description I found!]
The X can be also be a diode bridge often in schematic, but as it is a limiter-compressor effect, it could also be just a VCA.
It shouldn't be too difficult to add a 4 way switch to change the circuit to your desire.

• Information