"Glacius X Hybrid Wave Synthesizer" New RE from DNA Labs

This forum is for discussing Rack Extensions. Devs are all welcome to show off their goods.
NDKay

17 Jul 2020

Different Skins.....More than the three i posted !

No info how long the Intro price will be there.

go here : https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

Kilsane

17 Jul 2020

Great job, the interface is clear, the proposed presets are nice

guitfnky

17 Jul 2020

oof, that is a GORGEOUS UI. I don’t need a new synthesizer, but damn, this is tempting...
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

menacesta

17 Jul 2020

This seems pretty dope getting ready to demo it.

plesio

17 Jul 2020

No synth for old men !

"Where is my magnifying glass, Bertha? I cannot read that f*** labeling."

But anyway, it sounds pretty cool.
:reason: R11 Suite & R+, what else. I just love it. https://soundcloud.com/user-543016572
Ultimate mixing noob with medical certified lowpass at 9,6 kHz :(
Music is that certain noise you can remember three minutes later...and vice versa.

Boombastix
Competition Winner

17 Jul 2020

So it is like a prettier version of RS LAYERS, 4 Rompler layers, but the 4th is for user samples.

I'm guessing it will be interesting for many.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

antic604

19 Jul 2020

Very interesting! Although, like IL's Harmor, it would benefit greatly from making the individual sections more distinct, because it looks like a canvas with knobs, buttons and sliders scattered around 'randomly'. Some of the more contrasting skins are almost there though, so there's a chance one in the future will hit the right spot.
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

apoc123
RE Developer

19 Jul 2020

https://www.reasonstudios.com/shop/rack ... nthesizer/

Lots of Factory Kontent
6 GB of ROM
950 Presets

New Unique Fx
Pulse trip Gating Processor
Hardcore Analog Distortion
Vortex Saw Osc Hybrid w/ Bitpass Filter
Reverse Glitch Processor

User Sampling Capability
16 Sampler Slots
Keymapping for Each Slot
Key Offset Parameter Control

And Large Kontent Xpansions on the way!

Introductory Price $49 USD Reg, Price $99 USD

robgs

19 Jul 2020

Sounds great and probably worth every penny ( the brass is excellent ) but I feel to get the most out of this you'll need to be running on a SSD drive. Most Macs use 5400rpm drives and they just ain't cutting it with that whopping 6gb library. I was getting st-st-stuttering and popping patches galore without the glitch effects.
:reason: :record: :refill: :reload: :re: :PUF_take: :refillpacker: :recycle: :ignition: :PUF_figure:

Boombastix
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2020

robgs wrote:
19 Jul 2020
Sounds great and probably worth every penny ( the brass is excellent ) but I feel to get the most out of this you'll need to be running on a SSD drive. Most Macs use 5400rpm drives and they just ain't cutting it with that whopping 6gb library. I was getting st-st-stuttering and popping patches galore without the glitch effects.
AFAIK no RE can stream samples, they are loaded on RAM. Must be you don't have enough CPU capacity, unless this RE is extremely CPU intensive.
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

antic604

20 Jul 2020

There's already a thread about it.

Also, are you planning on adding (even) more skins? The GUI needs to separate visually sections of the synth more, because otherwise it looks like a canvas with knobs, buttons & sliders scattered on it randomly. Otherwise it's awesome! :o :thumbs_up:
Music tech enthusiast.
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder.
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

moneykube

20 Jul 2020

hmmmm so damn big... would grab it right away but my laptop would die from all the rom samples in the 2 I own and this one... hmmmmm... 6 gig is like huge for older computers... maybe for the new Mac mini... but then I would have to delete racks on my 2nd studio computer
https://soundcloud.com/moneykube-qube/s ... d-playlist
Proud Member Of The Awesome League Of Perpetuals

QVprod

20 Jul 2020

robgs wrote:
19 Jul 2020
Sounds like you may have an older base level mac. When you buy them from Apple there’s the option of upgrading the hard drive...etc... most Mac in the last few years only have SSD options now. More than likely though, it may be how much ram you have being the problem.
moneykube wrote:
20 Jul 2020
hmmmm so damn big... would grab it right away but my laptop would die from all the rom samples in the 2 I own and this one... hmmmmm... 6 gig is like huge for older computers... maybe for the new Mac mini... but then I would have to delete racks on my 2nd studio computer
How old are your computers? 6GB is negligible by modern standards and doubt that all 6GB are loaded at once with every patch. I could be wrong though. I ran a 2006 Mac Pro as my main rig up until almost 2 years ago.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2020

Is it possible to lock the GUI to one particular colour scheme? Changes patches changes the scheme. I'd like to keep it on Glacial White. :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

Socram
RE Developer

20 Jul 2020

MrFigg wrote:
20 Jul 2020
Is it possible to lock the GUI to one particular colour scheme? Changes patches changes the scheme. I'd like to keep it on Glacial White. :)
I don't think this is possible without writing a script that modifies all patches to use your preferred scheme.
Static Cling - Rack Extension Developer of Tome, Index, Optic, Chord Detector, Delta, and AutoLatch.
www.StaticCling.io
info@StaticCling.io

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2020

Socram wrote:
20 Jul 2020
MrFigg wrote:
20 Jul 2020
I don't think this is possible without writing a script that modifies all patches to use your preferred scheme.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

DaveyG

20 Jul 2020

Storing the skin with the patch is a very strange design decision.

mjxl

20 Jul 2020

DaveyG wrote:
20 Jul 2020
Probably the only way. I bet RE's can't write anything outside the .repatch files.

MrFigg
Competition Winner

20 Jul 2020

mjxl wrote:
20 Jul 2020
DaveyG wrote:
20 Jul 2020
Probably the only way. I bet RE's can't write anything outside the .repatch files.
Thing is that different patches have different skins. It’s not just one skin throughout.
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

moneykube

20 Jul 2020

QVprod wrote:
20 Jul 2020
How old are your computers? 6GB is negligible by modern standards and doubt that all 6GB are loaded at once with every patch. I could be wrong though. I ran a 2006 Mac Pro as my main rig up until almost 2 years ago.
the older computer in question 2012 powerbook with 54 gig of ssd space left open only . I find when it dips below 50gb the performance slows down regardless what type of files were added.... I have no idea why this is the case . Constantly running disk doctor to remove fragmented downloads on the drive or already removed... it seems to get confused... I suspect the ssd drive is wearing out or has a mystery bad block.
Last edited by moneykube on 20 Jul 2020, edited 1 time in total.

fieldframe
RE Developer

20 Jul 2020

I'd just ditch the other two skins, honestly. The "Glacial White" one has the best visual hierarchy, while the darker ones lose important divisions between things like the main amp envelope, LFO patterns, and the multifunction display and end up looking more like a scattered collection of parts than a cohesive whole.

Speaking of parts... The shadows are facing the wrong direction on the custom knobs!

QVprod

20 Jul 2020

moneykube wrote:
20 Jul 2020
QVprod wrote:
20 Jul 2020
the older computer in question 2012 powerbook with 54 gig of ssd space left open only . I find when it dips below 50gb the performance slows down regardless what type of files were added.... I have no idea why this is the case . Constantly running disk doctor to remove fragmented downloads on the drive or already removed... it seems to get confused... I suspect the ssd drive is wearing out or has a mystery bad block.
That’s actually a common SSD issue. I have a 2018 Mac mini and mine slows down tremendously if there’s less than 50GB of free space as well. When/if RS finally allows us to store RE samples on a separate hard drive, that’ll make things quite a bit easier.

EnochLight

21 Jul 2020

QVprod wrote:
20 Jul 2020
moneykube wrote:
20 Jul 2020

That’s actually a common SSD issue. I have a 2018 Mac mini and mine slows down tremendously if there’s less than 50GB of free space as well. When/if RS finally allows us to store RE samples on a separate hard drive, that’ll make things quite a bit easier.
Pretty sure this has nothing to do with an SSD, and more to do with your OS's page file. Even when using an old fashioned mechanical hard drive, once you get down to a certain amount of space left available, performance crawls to a stop.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

QVprod

21 Jul 2020

EnochLight wrote:
21 Jul 2020
QVprod wrote:
20 Jul 2020

Pretty sure this has nothing to do with an SSD, and more to do with your OS's page file. Even when using an old fashioned mechanical hard drive, once you get down to a certain amount of space left available, performance crawls to a stop.
True, all hard drives have the issue, just that the mechanical drives start to crap out earlier. I meant more so that the 50GB threshold was common for SSDs. Was unaware of the terminology.

moneykube

21 Jul 2020

QVprod wrote:
20 Jul 2020
moneykube wrote:
20 Jul 2020

thank you for the explanation... had not heard this was a common issue with SSD drives :exclamation: :thumbs_up:

• Information