F7 in mac

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
elMisse

18 Jul 2020

Hi, I´m relatively new to Reason in Mac os, so a quick question:

I have a MBP with Catalina and a bluetooth keyboard with F1-F12 keys ofc. How come only some of them, like F5 and F6 work in Reason straight, but F3, F7 and F8 have to be combined with Fn to get the result. Seq-view f.ex.
I´m so used to just pushing F7... from the windows world...
Do you know if there is something I can do to get them to work straight, or do I have to live with this? :lol:

Thanks

estuary

18 Jul 2020

Hi

You can change F1 to F12 behavior on keyboard settings (mac preferences)
You will be able to use F1/F12 as standard keys, but then if you want to use as your MBP shortcut you need to press "fn"

elMisse

18 Jul 2020

estuary wrote:
18 Jul 2020
Hi

You can change F1 to F12 behavior on keyboard settings (mac preferences)
You will be able to use F1/F12 as standard keys, but then if you want to use as your MBP shortcut you need to press "fn"
There seems to be settings only for the MBP-keyboard, not the bluetooth one.... :?

estuary

18 Jul 2020

I see, I think another solution is using macro/key-biding software, it's a bit annoying but it will allow you to add custom shortcut.
I've done that before, I could assign a midi key to fn+F7 ... I don't use anymore I wish it could be more simple.
You can check the following thread maybe it will helps : viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7510473

elMisse

29 Dec 2020

This really pisses me off lol. Could someone with a MBP and Apples own magic keybd confirm if F7 works (show sequencer) without Fn-button? :) Maybe this is a third party keybd specific problem and I have to buy it.

chimp_spanner

29 Dec 2020

Download Fluor. It’s free and it lets you set F key behaviour on a per app basis. Should do the trick :)

gullum

29 Dec 2020

elMisse wrote:
29 Dec 2020
This really pisses me off lol. Could someone with a MBP and Apples own magic keybd confirm if F7 works (show sequencer) without Fn-button? :) Maybe this is a third party keybd specific problem and I have to buy it.
I have an iMac and F7 in fact all F keys are working

DecafDreams

29 Dec 2020

elMisse wrote:
18 Jul 2020
Hi, I´m relatively new to Reason in Mac os, so a quick question:

I have a MBP with Catalina and a bluetooth keyboard with F1-F12 keys ofc. How come only some of them, like F5 and F6 work in Reason straight, but F3, F7 and F8 have to be combined with Fn to get the result. Seq-view f.ex.
I´m so used to just pushing F7... from the windows world...
Do you know if there is something I can do to get them to work straight, or do I have to live with this? :lol:

Thanks
Did you try ticking the second of the options shown in red here?

It should work according to Apple: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT20443 ... %20keys%22.

If that doesn't work still you'll need to use a third party app. This one works although hasn't been updated since 2017 so unsure if it still works on the latest macOS versions. Worth a try though:

http://kevingessner.com/software/functionflip/

elMisse

30 Dec 2020

DecafDreams wrote:
29 Dec 2020

Did you try ticking the second of the options shown in red here?
I don't have an option for external keybd there. I guess it has something to do with mine being a Deltaco-keyboard and not Apple.
All the 3rd party apps, same thing. Forcing Reason to use normal F doesn't solve the problem with half of the F's :)

I f..ing give up and buy a magic keybd :lol:

selig
RE Developer

30 Dec 2020

Selig Audio, LLC

joeyluck

30 Dec 2020

I used to use Function Flip, but I don't even use the function keys anymore.

I find the trackpad to be fastest and most natural, especially if I'm working with separate windows. I use three finger swipe up for expose, and then I select the window. Or I'll use three fingers swipe left or right to swipe between the windows.

elMisse

31 Dec 2020

Aaaaah damn of course! :thumbup: Thank you Selig, once again :)

xonox

31 Dec 2020

Using a mac mini m1 here with a PC keyboard.
No function key settings in the keyboard preferences.

Selig's link to the docs showed how to disable voice over settings and it fixed my issue. Thanks!

• Information