The Factory sound bank secrets!

This forum is for discussing Reason. Questions, answers, ideas, and opinions... all apply.
nooomy

17 Jul 2020

Hey!

The Factory sound bank is 18 years old and contains thousands of samples and patches!

What are your favorite secrets or gemstone patches or samples of the Factory sound bank?

One secret i found 2-3 months ago is that all kick drum samples are tuned in A

And my favorite Radical Piano patch is "Martha" named after Tom Waits - Martha (album version)

EnochLight

17 Jul 2020

nooomy wrote:
17 Jul 2020
And my favorite Radical Piano patch is "Martha" named after Tom Waits - Martha (album version)
Total digression, but I just had to mention that Tom Waits' "Real Gone" album is fantastic. My all-time favorites are "Hoist That Rag" and "Shake It":

Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

guitfnky

17 Jul 2020

I always have to mention the Subtractor default patch. no tweaking necessary for a nice, round bass tone. one of the very few patches I just pick, and leave the hell alone (when I use it).
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

nooomy

17 Jul 2020

guitfnky wrote:
17 Jul 2020
I always have to mention the Subtractor default patch. no tweaking necessary for a nice, round bass tone. one of the very few patches I just pick, and leave the hell alone (when I use it).
Oh yeah! I have composed alot of bass lines on that default patch!

Another favorite old school patch is the Bandpass Filter.cmb ! a great bandpass filter created in a combinator! Just add a sinus CV signal to the Frequency knob on the combinatior and you have a really sexy moving badpass filter effekt! ;)

Boombastix
Competition Winner

17 Jul 2020

The Factory Sound Bank is mystery that can only be solved on a deserted island (with Wi-Fi) :shock:
You can find oddball samples in mysterious places, just saying...
10% off at Waves with link: https://www.waves.com/r/6gh2b0
Disclaimer - I get 10% as well.

Creativemind

17 Jul 2020

Yeah that Subtractor default bass patch is very nice.

2 patches I like on Thor are DS8 MkII (played in the 1st or 2nd octave) and Cycle Fifths Stereo, lovely sounds.
:reason:

Reason Studio's 11.3 / Cockos Reaper 6.82 / Cakewalk By Bandlab / Orion 8.6
http://soundcloud.com/creativemind75/iv ... soul-mix-3

motuscott

17 Jul 2020

Finally a Tom Waits thread.
Huge fan, had no idea he used Reason.
Who’s using the royal plural now baby? 🧂

TheDragonborg

18 Jul 2020

My favorite part of the Reason Factory Sound Bank is the one shot samples and loops... so much good stuff in there...

robotgard

18 Jul 2020

Last edited by robotgard on 09 Dec 2020, edited 1 time in total.

Yonatan

18 Jul 2020

FSB is a matrix rabbit hole and a box of Forest Gump chocolate, or a road trip with Ryan...

EnochLight

18 Jul 2020

motuscott wrote:
17 Jul 2020
Finally a Tom Waits thread.
Huge fan, had no idea he used Reason.
Wait.. what?! No one said he uses Reason, nor ever used it. ;) :lol:

There’s just a piano preset named after one of his songs.
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite |  Reason 12 | i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro | Akai MPC Live 2 & Akai Force | Roland System 8, MX1, TB3 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

deeplink
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2020

The "Effect Devices" folder in the Combinator patches has taught me a lot. Some of those patches are wild.
Get more Combinators at the deeplink website

EnochLight

19 Jul 2020

nooomy wrote:
17 Jul 2020
Hey!

The Factory sound bank is 18 years old and contains thousands of samples and patches!

What are your favorite secrets or gemstone patches or samples of the Factory sound bank?

Wasn't Reason 1.0 released in November 2000? I think the Factory Soundbank is approaching 20 years old this fall. :o :shock: :?

If we're going by the core FSB from those days, there's not a lot I pull from at the moment. The updates that hit back in Reason 9, though, I really find useful - just some fantastic Combi in there (both instruments and effects), and Reason 10's new Drum Supply and Loop Supply has some good content. Just too much for me to pull any specific gem, though. :lol:

Good thread!

PhillipOrdonez

19 Jul 2020

EnochLight wrote:
19 Jul 2020
nooomy wrote:
17 Jul 2020
Hey!

Wasn't Reason 1.0 released in November 2000? I think the Factory Soundbank is approaching 20 years old this fall. :o :shock: :?

If we're going by the core FSB from those days, there's not a lot I pull from at the moment. The updates that hit back in Reason 9, though, I really find useful - just some fantastic Combi in there (both instruments and effects), and Reason 10's new Drum Supply and Loop Supply has some good content. Just too much for me to pull any specific gem, though. :lol:

Good thread!
Is there a way to know from when each patch comes from?

MrFigg
Competition Winner

19 Jul 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Jul 2020
EnochLight wrote:
19 Jul 2020

Good thread!
Yeah. You need to open Reason 1.0 and write down a list of the patches then open up Reason 2 and see which patches they’ve added and write down a list then open Reason 3 and...

You can also do it backwards. Subtractively :)
🗲 2ॐ ᛉ

EnochLight

19 Jul 2020

PhillipOrdonez wrote:
19 Jul 2020
I just use the devices in the Combi as a marker. If it's got Players and other recent devices, I know the presets are newer. As for which version, yeah - good luck with that!

selig
RE Developer

19 Jul 2020

EnochLight wrote:
19 Jul 2020
nooomy wrote:
17 Jul 2020
Hey!

I'm over 50 years old but still learning new things. And the FSB is no exception. I know for sure that 1000 or so new patches were added around v6.5 or so (I was responsible for over 100 myself), and so while it's "old" it's not "dead" - it's alive and kicking! I'm pretty sure there were other times new patches were added, not counting the sections separate from the FSB.
I still use the Kontakt original sound bank, I still use Fairlight sounds, I still B3 and I also use piano which is hundreds of years old!

Just saying, everything old isn't dead… ;)
Selig Audio, LLC

madmacman

19 Jul 2020

Other Samples --> FX-Vox --> DjungleBird_eLAB.aif FTW!

Who needs an E-mu Emax I (disc ZD733 - Loon Garden) anyway? :lol:

NDKay

19 Jul 2020

One gem for me is : ALL Effect Patches-> Pattern Based -> Freeze Stutter [RUN]

Open the combi, open the matrix and build your own patterns which suit your sound.

I used it as a sidechain, as gates and of course... Glitches.
Last edited by NDKay on 19 Jul 2020, edited 1 time in total.
This is a SmartAss. Really nothing more than that !

EnochLight

19 Jul 2020

selig wrote:
19 Jul 2020
Just saying, everything old isn't dead… ;)
Pretty sure both you and I are living proof of that! :puf_bigsmile: :lol:

#50's_club_FTW!

jlgrimes

19 Jul 2020

nooomy wrote:
17 Jul 2020
Hey!

NNXT Octa Brass (Great Trap Brass)
Subtractor Finger Bass (so damn useful)
Subtractor Hyperbottom (Another useful Low end patch)
Subtractor Warm Pad (with reverb/chorus a very useful Pad)
Grain Boomer (great 808ish type bass)

I think the biggest secrets though is most of Reasons patches are highly useable especially the dry ones.

Subtractor becomes a whole new synth when you put the new Reason chorus after it.

adfielding

24 Jul 2020

madmacman wrote:
19 Jul 2020
Other Samples --> FX-Vox --> DjungleBird_eLAB.aif FTW!
This is the correct answer :)

hurricane
Competition Winner

24 Jul 2020

jlgrimes wrote:
19 Jul 2020
Subtractor becomes a whole new synth when you put the new Reason chorus after it.
Subtractor became a whole new synth 3 years ago when VST support was enabled and we could finally use higher quality effects on it. That's when I started using it more.
Soundcloud | Youtube
Logic Pro | Bitwig

nooomy

25 Jul 2020

Todays gem is the Monotone Bass patch called "Mr Fingers" named after the bass in one of the very first deep house songs from 1986
"Mr Fingers - Can You Feel It"

Very nice!

guitfnky

25 Jul 2020

the sad thing about having so many prebuilt sounds is that option paralysis, and time are both things. I used to check around for different sounds back when I first started using Reason (v5+Record), but it's really rare nowadays--and not for lack of quality--BECAUSE of the quality. there's so much good stuff there, that it can easily become a rabbit hole of auditioning, and you never actually make any music.

I usually end up just creating everything from scratch, now. it's a shame. now if RS could apply their ingenuity to solve THAT problem (you know, without just eliminating droves of presets), I'd be a very happy camper. :P
I write good music for good people

https://slowrobot.bandcamp.com/

• Information